Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!  (Read 24845 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:57 AM »
Kobe Bryant - a soul transformed by the Catholic faith
https://www.catholic.org/news/ae/celebrity/story.php?id=84185

It is clear that Bryant's faith was important to him and it had a transformative impact on his life. This is how all faith should work. Faith which does not transform a person isn't faith --it's nothing.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2020, 10:19:40 AM »
There is much to say here but the appropriate thing is to offer condolences for your loss.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
I don't know anything about him, but he was a human being who died a tragic death with his young daughter. That is sad in and of itself. I would imagine that people who follow sports would find it to be a shock. Why do people feel the need to be knocking someone who just died a horrible death? If people take out of this how fragile life is and how one never knows when his or her time may come then that lesson is a good one and let them use this tragedy to improve themselves. Why knock them?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
There aren't many people in this world who not only get tributes from athletes in other sports, but also from world leaders: Trump, Obama, and Bibi all tweeted out tributes.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
Kobe Bryant - a soul transformed by the Catholic faith
https://www.catholic.org/news/ae/celebrity/story.php?id=84185

It is clear that Bryant's faith was important to him and it had a transformative impact on his life. This is how all faith should work. Faith which does not transform a person isn't faith --it's nothing.
I hope to see this angle covered properly in the MSM conversation.
It has so much to contribute to literally bettering lives of many people, and is hardly acknowledged to the level it needs

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
Some more random Kobe thoughts:

- He was probably one of the first true international stars of the NBA. Yes, Jordan and Magic were well recognizable, and the 92' dream team first showcased their talent for the world, but once the NBA made a push to promote itself internationally in the late 90's he was the league's face. A lot of athletes promote sneakers and sports drinks - Kobe was a spokesman for Turkish Airlines too.

- While Kobi/Kovi is a common nickname for people named Jacob/Yaakov in Israel and the Jewish world - there are a ton of kids in the secular world named Kobe after him. Maybe their parents named them out of fandom, but hopefully those kids will grow up, understanding his pursuit of excellence, and draw on that to develop their own work ethic.

- Kobe's work ethic is legendary. Could you imagine how much taking his work ethic into account would help us in our own fields?

- My kids asked me if I thought it was harder for Kobe's wife to lose her daughter or her husband. Without hesitation, I replied "her daughter". The hardest thing I've ever done in my life was inform my grandmother of my mother's passing. There is no grief in this world that compares to losing a child - no matter if the child is a toddler or a 60 year old. Children should bury their parents (g-d willing after 120 years) but never the other way around.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2020, 03:37:02 PM »
I feel like I am on another planet.
Welcome to this planet, you finally started to highlight him being a man of faith and family, you're learnin :D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
It’s one thing to get overly involved in cultural influences. What gets to me here is that we are not even talking about a mediocre human being that people are lamenting his leaving this world. By all accounts we are talking about a terrible human being who was abusive to his teammates, conceited, was credibly accused of rape, sued his own mother, and stopped talking to his parents and sisters. He was a terrible human being who had one trick; he could send a leather ball through a metal ring better than anyone else. It’s one thing if he died mid season and that might cost his team the championship. But he’s retired and gone from the game.Is he really worthy of being mourned? I don’t think so....
Oh, but when the non Jews leave disgusting comments like this when tragedy hits us, they are all anti Semites.

Shame on you, this is neither the time nor the place for your vile rhetoric.
Let a man rest in peace, will ya?

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »
Oh, but when the non Jews leave disgusting comments like this when tragedy hits us, they are all anti Semites.

Shame on you, this is neither the time nor the place for your vile rhetoric.
Let a man rest in peace, will ya?

What in the world does this have to do with anti-semitism? I have nothing against his race or religion. No one is celebrating his unfortunate untimely passing.

What I have a problem with is frum Jews mourning the death of an individual who had terrible middos and set a bad example for the kids and adults who looked up to him, as if he were a gadol biyisrael. Show me someone who was virtuous, a role, model and made positive contributions to society, and it would be proper to mourn his passing no matter his race or religion. I don’t know why you are mixing anti-semitism in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:05:29 PM by Yard sale »

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
What in the world does this have to do with anti-semitism? I have nothing against his race or religion. No one is celebrating his unfortunate untimely passing.

What I have a problem with is frum Jews mourning the death of an individual who had terrible middos and set a bad example for the kids and adults who looked up to him, as if he were a gadol biyisrael. Show me someone who was virtuous, a role, model and made positive contributions to society, and it would be proper to mourn his passing no matter his race or religion. I don’t know why you are mixing anti-semitism in.
And what I have a problem with, is you spewing hate on someone who just died, period.

Funny I actually agree with all you said, but why can't you realize you were totally out of line, like c'mon man! not here and not now.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2020, 02:14:11 AM »
And what I have a problem with, is you spewing hate on someone who just died, period.
Funny I actually agree with all you said, but why can't you realize you were totally out of line, like c'mon man! not here and not now.

Spewing hate?

He articulated a thoughtful position that actually relates specifically to the here and now. He feels that the mourning (which happens when someone dies) is due specifically to Kobe's sports accomplishments. If it was someone nobody heard of, people wouldn't care. He feels that an authentic Jewish approach should incorporate said individuals principals and morality above all else, which in this case is highly flawed and detrimental.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2020, 03:11:18 AM »
I know this will get to people.
The guy was a [deleted by mods] rapist. That's a fact!
Reality check people: He was an athlete. Are you mourning the death of an athlete? Are these the kind of people you look up to?
This is getting more attention on DDF than the passing of any gadol over the past five years. That is sad.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:48:32 AM by Dan »

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2020, 06:38:33 AM »
LeBron James posts tribute to Kobe Bryant on Instagram: 'I'm heartbroken and devastated

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/lebron-james-posts-tribute-to-kobe-bryant-on-instagram-im-heartbroken-and-devastated/ar-BBZo7u6?ocid=spartanntp

Man I sitting here trying to write something for this post but every time I try I begin crying again just thinking about you, niece Gigi and the friendship/bond/brotherhood we had! I literally just heard your voice Sunday morning before I left Philly to head back to LA. Didn't think for one bit in a million years that would be the last conversation we'd have. W**!!
"I'm heartbroken and devastated my brother!! Man I love you big bro. My heart goes to Vanessa and the kids. I promise you I'll continue your legacy man! You mean so much to us all here especially #LakerNation and it's my responsibility to put this (expletive) on my back and keep it going!!
"Please give me the strength from the heavens above and watch over me! I got US here! There's so much more I want to say but just can't right now because I can't get through it! Until we meet again my brother!! #Mamba4Life #Gigi4Life"

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »
Coach killed alongside Kobe Bryant in crash 'was exceptional,' husband says
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/coach-killed-alongside-kobe-bryant-in-crash-was-exceptional-husband-says/ar-BBZnCoZ?ocid=spartanntp

"How do you tell a child their mommy's no longer with us?" he said. "They screamed, they yelled. And I just held them."

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2020, 07:07:23 AM »
Seems like some people are having a hard time differentiating between a natural death and a tragic one like this. Obviously a helicopter crash with kids is going to get more attention than a natural old age death.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.