Author Topic: Where can I buy a box of 20 3M N95 1860 Masks at reasonable price?  (Read 10593 times)

Offline atwnsw

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Just curious...

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Where can I buy a box of 20 3M N95 1860 Masks at reasonable price?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:33:45 PM »
Going to be used for?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline atwnsw

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
In my case, I have a genetic respiratory disorder and want to have some extra on hand.  I always use them for flying (which isn't often) but this coronavirus would definitely take me out if I caught it.  So, for me, I want to buy a few boxes to keep on hand.  I will use them eventually but better safe than sorry.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »
There are European buying groups buying all they can. Not sure where you can get them now.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
 Assuming things continue to go in the direction they’re heading I would not be shocked to see the government use an emergency declaration to seize the entire supply of masks in the private industry including those in FBA storage in Amazon warehouses etc. and other warehouses etc. to keep the medical field supplied should they determine that is necessary. Other countries have already assumed control of the supply and it would be well within the emergency powers of the United States to do the same. I wonder if they would need to compensate any more than the retail price in case of such a seizure.

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
Assuming things continue to go in the direction they’re heading I would not be shocked to see the government use an emergency declaration to seize the entire supply of masks in the private industry including those in FBA storage in Amazon warehouses etc. and other warehouses etc. to keep the medical field supplied should they determine that is necessary. Other countries have already assumed control of the supply and it would be well within the emergency powers of the United States to do the same. I wonder if they would need to compensate any more than the retail price in case of such a seizure.
That's a major step... Alot more needs to happen to get close to such a scenario.

Also I'm not sure that they're net being manufactured in the US as we speak.

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »
Unfortunately, even though regular masks don't cut it, just buying a generic n95 mask probably won't help much either. In order to be effective, it needs to create an airtight seal around your face, which is surprisingly not that easy.

Healthcare workers undergo n95 fit testing, with a special tasting aerosol to see if they can taste it through the mask, meaning it's not effective. Even for people with normal body habitus, a standard fit doesn't really exist (thus the reason for the testing). In addition any facial hair will also likely render the mask ineffective.

Additionally, for people with respiratory conditions, n95 can worsen their function, which could, in theory, land them in the hospital, which would put that at increased risk.

Basically, unless you've actually undergone fit testing, there's a good chance the mask isn't doing anything...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
Masks can still help:
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/discuss-covid-19-novel-coronavirus-ddf-steps-taking-prepare/

Sorry Dan, but in this situation you're wrong.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=114606.msg2207197#msg2207197

On that topic, I suggest you amend your article.
"there’s no denying that wearing a mask is an effective method of not touching your face."
Again this is a nice idea, but it's actually not beneficial to advise to the public, and likely your suggestion overall is doing more harm than good.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 10:19:09 PM »
Sorry Dan, but in this situation you're wrong.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=114606.msg2207197#msg2207197

On that topic, I suggest you amend your article.
"there’s no denying that wearing a mask is an effective method of not touching your face."
Again this is a nice idea, but it's actually not beneficial to advise to the public, and likely your suggestion overall is doing more harm than good.

Please explain why my statement is wrong.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline IsraelGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
Please explain why my statement is wrong.

Because you say this as if it's accepted and proven, when in fact, it isn't. Again, it may be intuitive, but the scientific literature doesn't support this. Mask wearing in the community has not been shown to be effective in preventing the spread of respiratory viral illnesses. Now you can claim that touching your face = catching the virus, and mask-wearing (in theory) prevents this, so, therefore, mask-wearing should prevent transmission, but it isn't true. For patient populations outside the hospital, this has not proven to be the case. There have been studies that show that virus particles stay on your mask, are you wearing gloves when you take your mask on and off?

Lots of great ideas start with 'If A then B, and If B then C, so A then C', but in medicine, this, unfortunately, isn't always the case. That is why there are randomized controlled trials.

On the other hand, people buying masks lures them into a false sense of security, squanders supplies that could be used for healthcare workers where masks are more needed, and spreads a sense of disinformation that when given to the general public, I think overall is probably detrimental.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
There is no shortage of surgical masks, the shortage is on N95.
No need for N95 to prevent touching your face.

At any rate, one of my sources is:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=114606.msg2207066#msg2207066
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/zinc-lozenges-coronavirus/

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 10:59:46 PM »
How about a p100?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Visibly Jewish

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30520-1/fulltext
This any most other articles seem to point to the masks protecting others when the sick person is wearing a mask, that's why it's effective in China. Based on that you wearing a mask is not helping you at all, but if you are sick it's protecting everyone else. So unless you're worried about everyone else there's no reason for you to wear a mask.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »
This any most other articles seem to point to the masks protecting others when the sick person is wearing a mask, that's why it's effective in China. Based on that you wearing a mask is not helping you at all, but if you are sick it's protecting everyone else. So unless you're worried about everyone else there's no reason for you to wear a mask.

I'm sure you and most people can see through that broken logic and understand that it's propaganda to prevent shortages.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 10:26:36 AM »
I'm sure you and most people can see through that broken logic and understand that it's propaganda to prevent shortages.
Please explain why you think the logic is broken?

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
Please explain why you think the logic is broken?

Simply that if the mask is effective at stopping respiratory droplet transmission from getting out when worn by a sick person, then they must also be effective at keeping sick droplets out when worn by a healthy person. Wearing a mask helps for your face, but you also need hand hygiene etc.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 11:04:14 AM »
Simply that if the mask is effective at stopping respiratory droplet transmission from getting out when worn by a sick person, then they must also be effective at keeping sick droplets out when worn by a healthy person. Wearing a mask helps for your face, but you also need hand hygiene etc.
That's a dumb assumption, the mask will stop most of the respiratory droplets from making their way out into the open, making it much less likely for healthy people to come in contact with the virus. Once a healthy person comes in contact with the virus they are much more likely to pass it to their face while removing the mask, adjusting the mask, or just touching their face or rubbing their eyes.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »

a) Masks prevent you from touching your face.
b) The virus is spreading asymptomatically, and the viral payload is highest at the beginning of infection. Most of the community spread infection is coming during this period. Sick people stay at home more and cause less infection than healthy asymptomatic patients. Telling only sick people to wear masks does almost nothing to stop the contagion.
c) Telling people not to buy masks until they're sick means they won't have a mask once they get sick.
d) China implemented mask wearing on the entire population, and they're containing the outbreak. Is this solid proof that it's helping? No, but it sure isn't hurting them and it seems like it helped.
e) The claim that a surgical mask or an improperly fitted mask means that a person is not fully protected, is true. But, though it might not block all virus particles all of the time, it will still block all virus particles some of the time.
f) Most of the reasons given by the CDC are basically - "hey there's unrelated reasons where it doesn't work!!". Correct, not sanitizing properly can still lead to infection even with a mask. But even the most properly fitted mask, where the user doesn't wear goggles, is risking infection. Stick with the facts - wearing a mask decreases likelihood of infection.
g) What mask shortage? Medical staff don't need masks if anyways they're completely useless for prevention (according to CDC). Just save a couple thousand masks for the 160 COVID patients and all the medical staff will be fine and dandy.
h) Is it really that hard to see that the CDC is in anti-panic mode, and trying to control the impending backlash against them, spitting out nonsense like - "the immediate risk is low" - translation - soon the risk will be pretty high, but we want you to feel everything is fine.

Edit:
i) Increased exposure leads to increased severity of illness and death. Hence all the young healthy doctors that statistically shouldn't be dying, but are. Even with a bad mask, not being exposed to the full payload is better than nothing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:21:43 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish