1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 599009 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #2800 on: June 18, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »
Regardless of the RNC being here or not, there is a real chance of the flip happening.
Of course, and getting more likely with every ICU bed filling up.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2801 on: June 18, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »
Watch the RNC getting moved again and Florida flipping blue.
Regardless of the RNC being here or not, there is a real chance of the flip happening.
As long as there are no restrictions the RNC won't be moving. Safety is not their priority.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2802 on: June 18, 2020, 08:00:31 PM »
What capacity do they normally operate at?

Remember, this number isn't being brought up now to illustrate the impact Covid has had until now. It's being brought up in the context of 20k new cases in the last 10 days, which is over 20% of FL's total cases over the last 4 months. As a stand alone stat, it's concerning.

That said, FL did buy thousands of hospital beds a couple of months ago to be converted into ICU beds. I don't see anywhere if the conversions were done or not, or if they are included in the current calculations.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: June 18, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »
As long as there are no restrictions the RNC won't be moving. Safety is not their priority.
If hospitals overflow, there won't be an RNC.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: June 18, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
Remember, this number isn't being brought up now to illustrate the impact Covid has had until now. It's being brought up in the context of 20k new cases in the last 10 days, which is over 20% of FL's total cases over the last 4 months. As a stand alone stat, it's concerning.

That said, FL did buy thousands of hospital beds a couple of months ago to be converted into ICU beds. I don't see anywhere if the conversions were done or not, or if they are included in the current calculations.
The fact that they had 3 months to prepare can make a huge difference.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2805 on: June 18, 2020, 08:04:41 PM »
The fact that they had 3 months to prepare can make a huge difference.

Absolutely. And the fact that the treatment protocols have changed in that time will help keep the mortality rate much lower, as well. Still not a comfortable feeling to be in a state that may be staring down the barrel of a shotgun. One ill-timed hurricane...

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: June 18, 2020, 08:05:29 PM »
...but it is because of increased testing.  ;)

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: June 18, 2020, 08:05:56 PM »
Absolutely. And the fact that the treatment protocols have changed in that time will help keep the mortality rate much lower, as well. Still not a comfortable feeling to be in a state that may be staring down the barrel of a shotgun. One ill-timed hurricane...
The shutdown until we have a vaccine idea isn't too great either.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: June 18, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »
If hospitals overflow, there won't be an RNC.
You can stick a fork in you know who if that happens.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: June 18, 2020, 08:08:12 PM »
...but it is because of increased testing.  ;)

Sarcasm aside, it definitely plays a part. It seems there's a county testing site or blood drive on every other corner around here. But yea... No Rules For Michael isn't paying off here.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: June 18, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »
The shutdown until we have a vaccine idea isn't too great either.

Nope, which is why no one is calling for that or has called for that in a long time.

ETA: sorry, shouldn't say no one... Murphy's a special guy.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: June 18, 2020, 08:10:11 PM »
Sarcasm aside, it definitely plays a part. It seems there's a county testing site or blood drive on every other corner around here. But yea... No Rules For Michael isn't paying off here.
I am sure increased testing adds to positive cases. I am talking about increase testing adding to ICU patients.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: June 18, 2020, 08:11:31 PM »
Nope, which is why no one is calling for that or has called for that in a long time.

ETA: sorry, shouldn't say no one... Murphy's a special guy.
What does Florida have now and what would you consider ideal?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:47 PM »
What does Florida have now and what would you consider ideal?

Florida is a big, diverse state, so there is no uniformity. Each county and city has their own rules on top of the state's, and are largely left to enforce the rules themselves. DeSantis has stayed out of this for the most part.

In my area, most places are open, but most places require a mask for entry. My local Walmart Grocery requires masks and gloves, with enforcement at the entrance. They've made all the aisles one way, and opened up the emergency exit near the pharmacy so people don't need to walk through the whole store to get meds. In public areas near stores,probably 80-90% of people wear masks. Walking in neighborhoods, probably 10-20%. Social distancing in general is fairly lax in individual neighborhoods, but there are many people taking it very seriously. Shuls are taking SD/masks seriously, too, from what I'm hearing.

My ideal would be most of what I'm seeing from my local stores, with a bit more seriousness taken towards SD between people in their private lives. I don't have too many complaints from what I see, though, because I understand that each family has to make their own decisions with regards to SD. I'm also not out and about a whole lot, so what I see is somewhat limited to my little world.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: June 18, 2020, 09:07:07 PM »
Florida is a big, diverse state, so there is no uniformity. Each county and city has their own rules on top of the state's, and are largely left to enforce the rules themselves. DeSantis has stayed out of this for the most part.

In my area, most places are open, but most places require a mask for entry. My local Walmart Grocery requires masks and gloves, with enforcement at the entrance. They've made all the aisles one way, and opened up the emergency exit near the pharmacy so people don't need to walk through the whole store to get meds. In public areas near stores,probably 80-90% of people wear masks. Walking in neighborhoods, probably 10-20%. Social distancing in general is fairly lax in individual neighborhoods, but there are many people taking it very seriously. Shuls are taking SD/masks seriously, too, from what I'm hearing.

My ideal would be most of what I'm seeing from my local stores, with a bit more seriousness taken towards SD between people in their private lives. I don't have too many complaints from what I see, though, because I understand that each family has to make their own decisions with regards to SD. I'm also not out and about a whole lot, so what I see is somewhat limited to my little world.
Would it be fair to say you consider the current situation mostly ideal and would agree that the current increase in cases is a worthwhile/necessary cost because the alternative is lockdown until theres a vaccine?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: June 18, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »
Would it be fair to say you consider the current situation mostly ideal and would agree that the current increase in cases is a worthwhile/necessary cost because the alternative is lockdown until theres a vaccine?

No. To start, I don't believe the alternative is lockdown. There are many areas that can be improved upon while keeping most of the economy afloat.

I live in a very suburban area, so while I'm generally content with what I see, it is not representative of the entire state. The uptick in positives is mostly coming from other areas which have not been taking precautions as seriously. I would like to see some improvements in my area, and most definitely in more densely populated areas:
- I think all bars and clubs need to be closed.
- I think restaurants need to be either delivery/take out, or pick up at the counter and dine outside. No indoor table service.
- I think houses of worship need max occupancy limits based on size, and it needs to be enforced.
-I think masks in an indoor venue with public access needs to be a mandatory.
- I think outdoor gatherings need to be limited in size based on the gathering area.
- I don't know the legalities, but I would like to see stores servicing over X amount of customers have twice-weekly mandatory testing for all front-facing employees.

There are other little tweeks and details I'd like to see, but this gives a basic overview of where I stand.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: June 18, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
No. To start, I don't believe the alternative is lockdown. There are many areas that can be improved upon while keeping most of the economy afloat.

I live in a very suburban area, so while I'm generally content with what I see, it is not representative of the entire state. The uptick in positives is mostly coming from other areas which have not been taking precautions as seriously. I would like to see some improvements in my area, and most definitely in more densely populated areas:
- I think all bars and clubs need to be closed.
- I think restaurants need to be either delivery/take out, or pick up at the counter and dine outside. No indoor table service.
- I think houses of worship need max occupancy limits based on size, and it needs to be enforced.
-I think masks in an indoor venue with public access needs to be a mandatory.
- I think outdoor gatherings need to be limited in size based on the gathering area.
- I don't know the legalities, but I would like to see stores servicing over X amount of customers have twice-weekly mandatory testing for all front-facing employees.

There are other little tweeks and details I'd like to see, but this gives a basic overview of where I stand.
I'm glad I asked  ;)

There is definitely a huge difference between suburban and urban.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: June 18, 2020, 10:02:08 PM »
I'm glad I asked  ;)

There is definitely a huge difference between suburban and urban.

For sure. The challenges are far greater in an urban environment. I've lived in cities, including NY, so I'm not blind to the realities on the ground. I still think most of what I'd like to see is feasible.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: June 19, 2020, 12:10:55 AM »
The excuse of every last state with a massive outbreak is "increased testing". But look at the testing increases, and they either don't exist, or they don't correlate to the increase in positive cases. But ironically, every one of these states that has new cases surging by 3-4x in the last few weeks, all were claiming that they were doing enough testing before they opened everything up, and that was their justification for opening. The minute they open up and cases surge, they pretend like they were never doing testing before.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: June 19, 2020, 12:22:10 AM »
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

This site is unbelievable, and helps visualize COVID on a state level better than anything else I've found. In particular, I like the chart that tracks new cases graphed out on a rolling 7 day average. The recent trends I found are not looking good for many, many states, in particular the ones that reopened carelessly. I'll post the first couple states, you can click to imgur for the rest: https://imgur.com/a/iab9OH8

Visibly Jewish