1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 580648 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #3340 on: September 05, 2020, 05:38:15 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
We should force the people who produce, and those who publish, such outlandish predictions to take bets on their numbers. If I offered the author of the article 100K bet on the number (224K additional deaths by Jan 1) - at 2 to 1 odds - is there a chance in the world he takes the bet?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 05, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
We should force the people who produce, and those who publish, such outlandish predictions to take bets on their numbers. If I offered the author of the article 100K bet on the number (224K additional deaths by Jan 1) - at 2 to 1 odds - is there a chance in the world he takes the bet?
More than 410,000 people in the US could die from the coronavirus by January 1, more than doubling the current death toll, a new model often cited by top health officials predicted Friday.
Did they not learn from last time to not give credance to outrageous predictions? This is why people lose faith in "top health officials"
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3342 on: September 05, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »

Did they not learn from last time
Lol
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: September 05, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
Lol
It's not funny when they're responsible for people not listening to any guidence

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: September 06, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »
I heard second hand from someone who went to get tested but after having their name on the waiting list at the urgent care decided the wait is too long and left without ever getting tested. A few days later they got a phone call that their test came back positive. Something is clearly wrong, most likely whoever that positive test belonged to was never informed that they tested positive. The only other possibility I can think of is they just made up the results, which is even worse.

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3345 on: September 06, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
I heard second hand from someone who went to get tested but after having their name on the waiting list at the urgent care decided the wait is too long and left without ever getting tested. A few days later they got a phone call that their test came back positive. Something is clearly wrong, most likely whoever that positive test belonged to was never informed that they tested positive. The only other possibility I can think of is they just made up the results, which is even worse.
I heard a similar story, albeit third-hand, about two people at a drive up testing site.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #3346 on: September 07, 2020, 09:55:42 AM »
My DD did not make her test appointment. I got a call a week later that she was negative!
^^^

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
My DD did not make her test appointment. I got a call a week later that she was negative!
That sounds like a system issue.

"This person had an appointment and they don't have a positive test. Guess it was negative."

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: September 07, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
That sounds like a system issue.

"This person had an appointment and they don't have a positive test. Guess it was negative."
But this makes it sound like there is a bigger issue

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: September 07, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »
But this makes it sound like there is a bigger issue
Agreed, your anecdote is egregious. 

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: September 07, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
It sounds like mismanagement at this urgent care center (I'm assuming it was one?). Are these incidents all happening by the same one?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: September 07, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
It sounds like mismanagement at this urgent care center (I'm assuming it was one?). Are these incidents all happening by the same one?
I am under the impression that the story I posted was in Monsey, but I'm not sure.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3352 on: September 08, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
A few general comments:

1) the second wave appears to be starting, and once again the frum community is at the forefront. This was avoidable. Members here and people IRL are calling for small measures now to help stop the spread, but those measures are now too little and too late. More drastic measures are needed and will eventually be taken.

2) with regards to reinfection, there are 2 absolute opinions being bandied about, and they both need to be discarded. The fact of the matter is, we don't know enough about reinfection to say with any certainty whether or not it will happen to everyone. What we do know is that it has happened in a few instances, and as time goes on, we will find out if those cases are the exception or the rule. 3-6 months of immunity is widely accepted medical opinion now. Indefinite immunity is seen as highly unlikely. The question is at what point between 6 months and forever does immunity run out. The only way we'll find out is when a large number of people who were previously infected are exposed to the virus a second time on a large scale. To date, this has not happened anywhere in the world. It is about to happen in the frum communities of the Tri-state area. Until we know for sure, people should not assume immunity that may not exist, and take some precautions to avoid a possible reinfection. The consequences of ignoring that risk have proven to be high.

3) with regards to the rumors of doctors and rabbonim advising people not to test and/or report cases... Leaving aside the danger to the community as it relates to spreading the virus or delaying medical care, this approach is extremely short sighted. If Covid does what it always has done, even when we suspected that a milder strain was going around (like in FL), it will send significant numbers to the hospital. G-d willing they will be discharged much quicker this time, but they will still show up. In other words, there is no hiding a Covid outbreak. Now, when the outbreak is discovered, there are 3 consequences.
  • the medical establishment will see hospitalizations which don't correlate to reported cases and realize there is a cover-up. If we were concerned about the care we received during the first wave, you can imagine what the reaction will be now, especially as life publicly appears to go on as if nothing is happening. This reaction will not be limited to treatment of Covid; it will spill over into all future medical care, and our community doctors will have lost the trust and respect of the medical establishment.
  • we were concerned about aiva during the first wave. Again, imagine the reactions of the surround communities and the general public when the cover-up is discovered, especially as it pertains to the risk everyone else was exposed to.
  • the Jewish communities of NY and NJ have worked for decades to cultivate relationships with all levels of government, from community boards through state and federal offices. The trust we will lose and the relationships we will burn will have ramifications for years to come. They will dwarf the restrictions we are looking to avoid by keeping things quiet.

4) as distasteful as it is, arrangements for alternative minyanim for Rosh Hashanah should be put in place now. The risk for RH becoming a mass spreader event is huge. For those who lack nuance, that is not a prediction or an absolute. Maybe most people will be immune, maybe not. The risk, defined as the possible consequences, is largely unknown, and therefore cannot be ignored. Tents should be procured to help facilitate outdoor minyanim in as many places as possible, to help as many people as possible safely daven with a minyan.

5) it's time to stop the name-calling. Nobody is fear-mongering, nobody is being a government pawn, nobody wants to kill grandma, and nobody is happy with the current situation. When people post their opinions on what could be coming or what actions should be taken, take them for what they are: opinions. By and large, everyone wants what's best for themselves, for their families, for their community, and for klal yisroel. We will not agree on everything, or even most things, but the wholesale bashing of hashkafos turns us into a mirror of the partisan political farce the rest of our country has become. We should be better than that.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3353 on: September 08, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
My shul has been outdoors with masks this whole time.
The need for safety needs to come before normalcy, especially when the cost is small.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: September 08, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
4) as distasteful as it is, arrangements for alternative minyanim for Rosh Hashanah should be put in place now. The risk for RH becoming a mass spreader event is huge. For those who lack nuance, that is not a prediction or an absolute. Maybe most people will be immune, maybe not. The risk, defined as the possible consequences, is largely unknown, and therefore cannot be ignored. Tents should be procured to help facilitate outdoor minyanim in as many places as possible, to help as many people as possible safely daven with a minyan.
Rosh Hashana davening shouldn't be a significantly greater risk than shabbos davening, assuming everyone davens in the same place they would daven on shabbos.

BMG put up signs asking anyone who doesn't daven there year round to not daven there yamim noraim and they won't lose their seat because of it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3355 on: September 08, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »
Rosh Hashana davening shouldn't be a significantly greater risk than shabbos davening, assuming everyone davens in the same place they would daven on shabbos.

BMG put up signs asking anyone who doesn't daven there year round to not daven there yamim noraim and they won't lose their seat because of it.
Of course it is.
More singing, more time exposed, shofar blowing, cases are spiking, etc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3356 on: September 08, 2020, 11:32:07 AM »

or learn there. This has the potential of mixing groups.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3357 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »

They absolutely should start immediately for shabbos. However, the reality is that more people come to shul on Rosh Hashanah, including more women and children, as well as an influx of guests.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: September 08, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »
Of course it is.
More singing, more time exposed, shofar blowing, cases are spiking, etc.
Cases spiking doesn't make rosh hashana worse that a regular shabbos. I don't think the rest increase the risk significantly.
or learn there. This has the potential of mixing groups.
True, but the overlap between the groups is huge.
They absolutely should start immediately for shabbos. However, the reality is that more people come to shul on Rosh Hashanah, including more women and children, as well as an influx of guests.
Start what?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: September 08, 2020, 11:40:57 AM »
Start what?

Measures to start lowering risk. Multiple minyanim, outdoor minyanim, masks, increased sanitation protocols, and whatever other risk mitigation procedures have been in place around the world for months now.