1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 592801 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #4140 on: March 04, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »
Abott is certainly not doing it because of science...
He's not telling you not to wear one, he just feels it's time for the government to allow people to make their own choices.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4141 on: March 04, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »
He's not telling you not to wear one, he just feels it's time for the government to allow people to make their own choices.

Why is now the time?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:20 PM »
Why is now the time?
Cases are down, vaccines are ramping up. How much longer should we wait? I know some people want the government to force people to do things, but others think freedom is more important and people can make decisions for themselves with government involvement.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4143 on: March 04, 2021, 05:36:27 PM »
Cases are down, vaccines are ramping up. How much longer should we wait? I know some people want the government to force people to do things, but others think freedom is more important and people can make decisions for themselves with government involvement.

Without getting into the freedom argument again... how about waiting until May or June? Cases are down nationally because we're in the short period of time between the second and third waves, but TX happens to have seen an increase in cases and positivity rate since 2 weeks ago. Vaccines are ramping up, but are not yet ramped up. TX has one of the worst vax rates in the country, with 7.5% of the population fully vaccinated and 13.6% given one dose. Their hospital systems also have a history of getting overloaded. It just doesn't seem like awesome timing to me, but what do I know...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: March 04, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »

I know some people want the government to force people to do things, but others think freedom is more important and people can make decisions for themselves with government involvement.
You mean like whether they should harbor a fetus inside them for 9 months? And whether their defenseless baby should be circumcised or not?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: March 04, 2021, 08:07:54 PM »
You mean like whether they should harbor a fetus inside them for 9 months?
Exactly. I should also be able to kill my annoying neighbor because I don't like him.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: March 04, 2021, 08:24:05 PM »
Exactly. I should also be able to kill my annoying neighbor because I don't like him.

By giving him Covid? Smart. Hard to make those charges stick.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: March 04, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
By giving him Covid? Smart. Hard to make those charges stick.
His neighbors are all immune already

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: March 05, 2021, 02:21:06 AM »
Without getting into the freedom argument again... how about waiting until May or June? Cases are down nationally because we're in the short period of time between the second and third waves, but TX happens to have seen an increase in cases and positivity rate since 2 weeks ago. Vaccines are ramping up, but are not yet ramped up. TX has one of the worst vax rates in the country, with 7.5% of the population fully vaccinated and 13.6% given one dose. Their hospital systems also have a history of getting overloaded. It just doesn't seem like awesome timing to me, but what do I know...

It all comes down to the freedom argument because the science behind mask mandates preventing spread is shaky at best. Texas’ mandate did less to prevent COVID than Florida’s lack of a mandate. It comes down to what the constituents believe and follow. If they believe masks are useless then a mandate does nothing. Texas had more spread than Florida and likely less mask compliance despite having a mandate.

Personally I’m not fully against mandates, I think masks should be mandated in public enclosed spaces and essential stores. Everywhere else should be up to the business owner and patrons. You will find plenty of/most private businesses enforcing masks on their own.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: March 05, 2021, 08:13:50 AM »
It all comes down to the freedom argument because the science behind mask mandates preventing spread is shaky at best. Texas’ mandate did less to prevent COVID than Florida’s lack of a mandate. It comes down to what the constituents believe and follow. If they believe masks are useless then a mandate does nothing. Texas had more spread than Florida and likely less mask compliance despite having a mandate.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about Texas' compliance, but the FL info is wrong. Mask mandates were issued on county and city levels, and were very strictly enforced in many places with fines and citations.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: March 05, 2021, 09:05:57 AM »
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about Texas' compliance, but the FL info is wrong. Mask mandates were issued on county and city levels, and were very strictly enforced in many places with fines and citations.
Is TX stopping counties and cities from creating mask mandates?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: March 05, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »
Is TX stopping counties and cities from creating mask mandates?

What's your point?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: March 05, 2021, 09:24:17 AM »
What's your point?
If not, they're the same as FL.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: March 05, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
If not, they're the same as FL.

First of all, that's not something to aspire to. Second, what did they accomplish? The people aren't more free. They would still need to follow local mandates. And by announcing that the State doesn't believe  these restrictions are necessary, they made it harder for the local jurisdictions to enforce those mandates, or even put them in place to begin with.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
First of all, that's not something to aspire to. Second, what did they accomplish? The people aren't more free. They would still need to follow local mandates. And by announcing that the State doesn't believe  these restrictions are necessary, they made it harder for the local jurisdictions to enforce those mandates, or even put them in place to begin with.
It depends on the county or city, just like in FL. Some have mandates and others don't. Just because one lever of government takes away freedom doesn't mean we should have another level taking it away. Now the counties and cities can decide for themselves when they feel is the right time to remove any mandate from their constituents.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: March 05, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
It depends on the county or city, just like in FL. Some have mandates and others don't. Just because one lever of government takes away freedom doesn't mean we should have another level taking it away. Now the counties and cities can decide for themselves when they feel is the right time to remove any mandate from their constituents.

If that had been the argument from the get-go (like FL), you would have a better case. By accepting responsibility from the beginning, and now saying that the state's health department no longer deems these rules necessary, they undercut the locals' ability to enact and enforce new mandates for the same rules. At the same time, the individual living in Houston has no more freedom than he did the day before.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: March 05, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
If that had been the argument from the get-go (like FL), you would have a better case. By accepting responsibility from the beginning, and now saying that the state's health department no longer deems these rules necessary, they undercut the locals' ability to enact and enforce new mandates for the same rules. At the same time, the individual living in Houston has no more freedom than he did the day before.
These can't both be true.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: March 05, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »
These can't both be true.

Sure they can. If the principal of a school makes a rule and then changes his mind and says it's not necessary, but a teacher says it is necessary and institutes the rule for his class, the teacher's ability to enforce the rule is undercut by the principal saying it's not necessary. That doesn't change the fact that the kids in that class are still obligated by the rule that the teacher put in place.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4159 on: March 05, 2021, 11:47:47 AM »
It’s easier to move to another city than it is to move to another state, just like it’s easier to move to another state than it is to move to another country.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.