1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 580706 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #4240 on: April 29, 2021, 05:29:41 PM »
The idea that a segment of the population has natural immunity to Covid-19 (from previous childhood coronaviruses or other phenomenon) has been debunked? Can you cite a study to that effect?
The assumption that if someone hasn't gotten it after a year of exposure is a sign that he has natural immunity has been debunked

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4241 on: April 29, 2021, 05:39:33 PM »
The idea that a segment of the population has natural immunity to Covid-19 (from previous childhood coronaviruses or other phenomenon) has been debunked? Can you cite a study to that effect?
I don’t need a study, you’re the one relying on an alleged assumption to make a health decision- *you* need a study. Typical cross-immunity from another coronavirus (if it exists) would wane within 3-6 months, I can point to people on this thread alone such as @avromie7 who were “exposed” to COVID previously and then came down with it themselves after many months.
That's not shev v'al taaseh. Feel free to disagree with me, but don't twist the definition.
Sorry? I’m twisting the definition of shev v’al taaseh? You’re saying that engaging in high risk activities without adequate protection while a pandemic is raging is considered shev v’al taaseh? You might want to rethink that.

You can claim it’s the right thing but it’s no more “shev” than getting injected with a vaccine is. As most doctors would concur, it’s actively endangering oneself.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: April 29, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
You’re saying that engaging in high risk activities without adequate protection while a pandemic is raging is considered shev v’al taaseh? You might want to rethink that.
I disagree with your premise, but regardless there are 2 separate discussions.
1) Should I get the vaccine
2) Should I avoid crowds
We were discussing the first, not the second. If you want to have a discussion about the second, feel free.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: April 29, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
The assumption that if someone hasn't gotten it after a year of exposure is a sign that he has natural immunity has been debunked
And that equals
If you took someone who was “exposed” previously and someone who wasn’t and put them in a room with a COVID+ patient they have equal chances of contracting infection.
?
Wish there was a way to put money on that one.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4244 on: April 29, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »
2) Should I avoid crowds
We were discussing the first, not the second. If you want to have a discussion about the second, feel free.
So shev v’al tasseh would include being careful to avoid crowds etc.. otherwise you’re actively endangering yourself

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4245 on: April 29, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »
2) Should I avoid crowds

They are very much intertwined. People aren't saying they don't need the vaccine because they're going to be extra cautious.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: April 29, 2021, 05:47:37 PM »
I can point to people on this thread alone such as @avromie7 who were “exposed” to COVID previously and then came down with it themselves after many months.
In the name of accuracy, I don't recall being exposed to anyone who tested positive, but I was not being careful for many months before I finally got it around February. I don't think this changes the conversation.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #4247 on: April 29, 2021, 05:49:42 PM »
2) Should I avoid crowds
My point, as I noted, was that if one is relying on shev v’al taaseh as a rationale then the same would apply to being as careful as the average doctor recommends as well. Of course the cost/benefit isn’t the same, and one can disagree on the particulars, but a similar rationale applies, and you can’t evaluate one while discarding the other. It certainly isn’t “twisting” the definition.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #4248 on: April 29, 2021, 05:52:22 PM »
In the name of accuracy, I don't recall being exposed to anyone who tested positive, but I was not being careful for many months before I finally got it around February. I don't think this changes the conversation.
Well,
-My mother in law contracted it in January while my father in law had it last April
-Two of my brothers had it while living at home on different occasions 6 months apart, and a couple of months later the rest of the household got it at the same time
-My brother in law had it, than 6 months later his wife had it, and 6 weeks later his daughter got it

I think we are all aware of numerous examples of these at this point.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4249 on: April 29, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »
My 9 year old got it in December, despite me not taking any precautions when I had it in mid-February, before anyone thought COVID was in the US.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: April 30, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/joe-rogan-retracts-coronavirus-vaccine-comments
Ah yes, taking the same approach as countless other talking heads: "I didn't really mean it, I'm only an entertainer". (While millions of people hang on to their every word as if it's the word of g-d himself.)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: May 09, 2021, 08:50:57 PM »
Yes, unless 12+ gets approved first.

ETA: Extenuating circumstances

Shot 1 done.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: May 09, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »
Shot 1 done.
Mazel Tov! I hope you feel fine!

I hope that the extenuating circumstances is something good.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56:18 PM »
Shot 1 done.
!!!
Hope they're good circumstances...

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: May 09, 2021, 08:57:39 PM »
Mazel Tov! I hope you feel fine!

I hope that the extenuating circumstances is something good.
!!!
Hope they're good circumstances...

Kids school dropped masks, so... eh. But Pfizer will likely get pushed through for 12+ this week, so mixed bag.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: May 09, 2021, 09:49:43 PM »
Kids school dropped masks, so... eh. But Pfizer will likely get pushed through for 12+ this week, so mixed bag.
Halevai everyone should drop masks and get vaccinated. That's really the point. Masks were good when it was the only tool we had, but now everyone should get vaccinated and drop the masks. But, I obviously do get that enough people should be vaccinated before dropping masks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4257 on: May 09, 2021, 09:52:31 PM »
Halevai everyone should drop masks and get vaccinated. That's really the point. Masks were good when it was the only tool we had, but now everyone should get vaccinated and drop the masks. But, I obviously do get that enough people should be vaccinated before dropping masks.
+1, masks were a band-aid at best. Better a band-aid than nothing, but the mRNA vaccines have proven to be a big winner.

Can't wait to see what mRNA will cure next and the pretzels people will make on why not to take them...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: May 09, 2021, 09:55:26 PM »
+1, masks were a band-aid at best. Better a band-aid than nothing, but the mRNA vaccines have proven to be a big winner.

Can't wait to see what mRNA will cure next and the pretzels people will make on why not to take them...
I just wish the government would stop shooting themselves in the foot and stop disincentivizing people from getting vaccinated. There is so much to add to the bumbling government thread that @CountValentine started.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: May 09, 2021, 10:04:48 PM »

I agree with this, except not everyone can get vaccinated yet, specifically kids. Until we figure out a way to keep kids from getting infected, schools need to use whatever tools they can, IMO.