1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 596326 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #4281 on: May 31, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: June 21, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »
Nationally, nearly 150 million Americans are fully vaccinated to date, CDC data shows. That includes almost 56% of the U.S.' adult population, 77.2% of its seniors and 52.8% of all eligible residents age 12 and up.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: June 21, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »
Nationally, nearly 150 million Americans are fully vaccinated to date, CDC data shows. That includes almost 56% of the U.S.' adult population, 77.2% of its seniors and 52.8% of all eligible residents age 12 and up.
Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, dollars to donuts COVID is back in full force by Labor Day.

Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4284 on: June 21, 2021, 02:05:13 PM »
Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, dollars to donuts COVID is back in full force by Labor Day.

What makes you think that? (Not disagreeing, just curious about the thought process.)
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: June 21, 2021, 02:36:24 PM »
What makes you think that? (Not disagreeing, just curious about the thought process.)
In no particular order...
1. Teacher's Unions want to get paid without actually working.
2. The number of people who have been vaccinated and do not have antibodies.
3. Its so easy for Feds or even on the state level to cry "variant" and "positivity rate" to reinstitute mandates (read:control) after the summer of freedom. They will test it. Not a doubt.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4286 on: June 21, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
In no particular order...
1. Teacher's Unions want to get paid without actually working.
2. The number of people who have been vaccinated and do not have antibodies.
3. Its so easy for Feds or even on the state level to cry "variant" and "positivity rate" to reinstitute mandates (read:control) after the summer of freedom. They will test it. Not a doubt.

So when you say "Covid," you're not referring to the coronavirus; you're talking about a political phenomenon called "Covid."

Re your second point, do you have any links to any data on that?

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: June 21, 2021, 02:49:06 PM »
So when you say "Covid," you're not referring to the coronavirus; you're talking about a political phenomenon called "Covid."
Lol that you'd expect otherwise. He switched his tune a year ago.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: June 21, 2021, 03:14:08 PM »

Re your second point, do you have any links to any data on that?
Yes and no. Are "positive cases" political or coronavirus? Is the "Positivity Rate" political or coronavirus?

No data other than anecdotal from diverse populations. When a Nurse in MSK gets the J&J and has zero antibodies within 60 days, that makes me wonder. Along with many other such cases that I have first hand knowledge of. When a world class hospital cant get their staff "vaccinated" what does that tell you?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: June 21, 2021, 03:28:59 PM »
Yes and no. Are "positive cases" political or coronavirus? Is the "Positivity Rate" political or coronavirus?

No data other than anecdotal from diverse populations. When a Nurse in MSK gets the J&J and has zero antibodies within 60 days, that makes me wonder. Along with many other such cases that I have first hand knowledge of. When a world class hospital cant get their staff "vaccinated" what does that tell you?

Positive cases are just that: people testing positive for coronavirus. Positivity Rate is a metric which is supposed to help give us an idea of how prevalent the virus is in society. How each of those things is used and/or manipulated can be very political. If your guess is that "Covid is back in full force by Labor Day" because you think the virus will be prevalent to certain degree by that time, that's not political. If you think it will be back because politicians will be looking for opportunities to make something out of nothing, that's political.

FWIW, I don't think politicians will go too overboard with bringing "political Covid" back, because I think it loses them more political capital than they stand to gain, but nothing politicians do surprises me.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4290 on: June 21, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »

Positive cases and positivity rate are both facts, not political. Metrics can always be highlighted differently and potentially used for political gain but are not falsified in the US, anywhere.

I understand you are having a difficult time distinguishing fact from fiction but that doesn’t change anything. Remember your belief in “false positives”? Israel has been testing hundreds of thousands a day with less than 10 positive cases each day for weeks, where did all of those “false positives” go?

Vaccines do not produce antibodies to nucleocapsid proteins, which many current antibody tests check for.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: June 21, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
Positive cases are just that: people testing positive for coronavirus. Positivity Rate is a metric which is supposed to help give us an idea of how prevalent the virus is in society. How each of those things is used and/or manipulated can be very political. If your guess is that "Covid is back in full force by Labor Day" because you think the virus will be prevalent to certain degree by that time, that's not political. If you think it will be back because politicians will be looking for opportunities to make something out of nothing, that's political.

FWIW, I don't think politicians will go too overboard with bringing "political Covid" back, because I think it loses them more political capital than they stand to gain, but nothing politicians do surprises me.
It will be back for real although that isnt the end of the world. Indian variant alone is enough to cause that. Will result in an overreaction by politicians.

The politicians will absolutely go overboard, especially those that have nothing to lose. In NYC we will have a lame duck mayor from tomorrow until the end of the year. He has no qualms about doing anything he wants. Our Governor has no issue doing the same.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: June 21, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
Positive cases and positivity rate are both facts, not political. Metrics can always be highlighted differently and potentially used for political gain but are not falsified in the US, anywhere.

I understand you are having a difficult time distinguishing fact from fiction but that doesn’t change anything. Remember your belief in “false positives”? Israel has been testing hundreds of thousands a day with less than 10 positive cases each day for weeks, where did all of those “false positives” go?

Vaccines do not produce antibodies to nucleocapsid proteins, which many current antibody tests check for.
Here we go. This is why I left this place. I'm having difficulty with nothing. You have your agenda. I have none. 

What is the purpose of the vaccines? Why would a country like Israel want to see vaccines AND antibodies? I love how the goalposts just move whenever it doesnt fit an agenda.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: June 21, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
You keep on jumping from issue to issue.

We all have a problem with politicians moving goalposts and making life difficult for no reason. We like to focus on the actual science here (unlike the politicians who claim they do, but don't).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4294 on: June 21, 2021, 03:49:54 PM »
What is the purpose of the vaccines? Why would a country like Israel want to see vaccines AND antibodies?
Because people have no qualms forging a vaccine card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: June 21, 2021, 03:50:35 PM »
Is it possible the tests have improved over the past 18 months?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: June 21, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
It will be back for real although that isnt the end of the world. Indian variant alone is enough to cause that.

When you say it will be back, to what degree? Are we looking at 100k cases/day in the US? 1k deaths/day? Do you think the vaccines are ineffective against the Indian variant, or do you think we won't have enough people vaccinated?

The politicians will absolutely go overboard, especially those that have nothing to lose. In NYC we will have a lame duck mayor from tomorrow until the end of the year. He has no qualms about doing anything he wants. Our Governor has no issue doing the same.

I think incoming politicians have ways to manipulate lame ducks into doing their bidding. Everyone has things which can be leveraged. I understand the expectations for the worst, given the history, but I think the circumstances will be different, leading to different political plays.

What is the purpose of the vaccines? Why would a country like Israel want to see vaccines AND antibodies? I love how the goalposts just move whenever it doesnt fit an agenda.

What does Israel's political mess have to do with the purpose of vaccines?

If you want others to leave their agendas out of the discussion, you should consider how much you mix the science/facts and politics yourself...

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4297 on: June 21, 2021, 07:28:19 PM »
Is it possible the tests have improved over the past 18 months?
Gold standard PCR tests have been near perfect since April 2020 and have not improved at all AFAIK

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #4298 on: June 21, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »
Here we go. This is why I left this place. I'm having difficulty with nothing. You have your agenda. I have none. 
I don’t have an agenda. Claiming I have an agenda but you don’t without any basis is sort of out of line but expected.

What is the purpose of the vaccines?
To protect against COVID-19. I don’t understand your question.

Why would a country like Israel want to see vaccines AND antibodies?
Israel is certainly being super cautious, but a possible reason would be because people are forging vaccine cards and there is no solid database to check against (because of the backlash against the US creating one). I believe people who have been vaccinated in Israel do *not* need to check for antibodies, because their information is confirmed in the database. If true, that completely undermines whatever point you are trying to make.

I love how the goalposts just move whenever it doesnt fit an agenda.
I haven’t moved any goalposts. Please point to a goalpost you feel has moved.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile