1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 574778 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2020, 01:53:43 PM »
Call me insane, but I'm uncomfortable traveling

Ok you got: You are insane  :P

Seriously, the likelihood of getting it is SUPER small an then even if you did get it (assuming you are a healthy adult), the likelihood of you even having a case bad enough to go to the hospital is less than half, much less the likelihood of getting hospitalized and then having some kind of adverse outcome.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »
FTR If I walk into a restaurant and the cook is wearing a "clinical mask" and surgeon gloves I'm walking right out and not looking back...

LOL...so true! They are making the perceptions way worse....  :o

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
Going back to the business impact, seems like El-Al is bracing for a loss - https://www.calcalist.co.il/local/articles/0,7340,L-3797312,00.html

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2020, 02:19:48 PM »

Ok you got: You are insane  :P

Seriously, the likelihood of getting it is SUPER small an then even if you did get it (assuming you are a healthy adult), the likelihood of you even having a case bad enough to go to the hospital is less than half, much less the likelihood of getting hospitalized and then having some kind of adverse outcome.

The likelihood of catching COVID19 isn't small, it's super contagious and the risk of catching during travel while unknown, it's certainly much higher risk than not traveling. And you're forgetting the chance of potentially getting quarantined for 14 days or denied entry. There's no way to plan for this, and there's no warnings. Italy was completely fine last week, but you'd have called someone crazy for canceling a trip to Milan.
Visibly Jewish

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2020, 02:23:58 PM »
LOL...so true! They are making the perceptions way worse....  :o
I always say if i walk into a pizza store and see a picture of R Shayala Kerestirer, Ill find somewhere else to eat
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:38:06 PM by gingyguy »
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2020, 02:32:20 PM »
The likelihood of catching COVID19 isn't small, it's super contagious and the risk of catching during travel while unknown, it's certainly much higher risk than not traveling. And you're forgetting the chance of potentially getting quarantined for 14 days or denied entry. There's no way to plan for this, and there's no warnings. Italy was completely fine last week, but you'd have called someone crazy for canceling a trip to Milan.

The likelihood of catching it while next to someone who has it isn't small but the likelihood of catching it on any single flight is most definitely TEENY! 

Of course it is more of a risk than not travelling but so what that is irrelevant.  Every single action we take has risks and costs (just like their are risks and costs to inaction) the relevant thing is the COST vs. RISK to not travelling and THAT is what people should objectively weigh.  I'm not advocating for unnecessary travel but do wish people would weigh appropriate risks to costs.  You are right, if you've got a pleasure trip and want to cancel, great because your cost is virtually zero (although as your article shows, the costs to these economies and industries is huge) but if I had a business meeting outside of any of these hot zones there is no way I'm missing that opportunity for some very small risk. 

It makes me sad that all these businesses are being affected by idiocy.  I was teasing the above poster but when I used the word insane I was referencing people not going to a Kosher Chinese restaurant in Toronto because of Corona virus, which is more than insane, it's totally idiotic and also really sad for the owners and employees of that business.

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
FTR If I walk into a restaurant and the cook is wearing a "clinical mask" and surgeon gloves I'm walking right out and not looking back...
and if he doesn't that makes you more comfortable?

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2020, 02:58:08 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/CORKosher/photos/a.276299072448388/2746275255450745/?type=3&theater
I just came here to post that :)

It's our only surviving chinese place. I hope it can weather this storm.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/CORKosher/photos/a.276299072448388/2746275255450745/?type=3&theater
My gut feeling tells me that if this place is at risk of going under it's probably not actually because of coronavirus

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
My gut feeling tells me that if this place is at risk of going under it's probably not actually because of coronavirus
Toronto restaurants go out of business on a regular day. Wouldn't take much to close most down.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »

The likelihood of catching it while next to someone who has it isn't small but the likelihood of catching it on any single flight is most definitely TEENY! 

You are saying the risk on any single flight is TEENY as if that is a fact, but the risk may in fact be huge. We can't assess risk until we know how widespread the virus is and it takes time to find out. Are you traveling to a place that implemented extensive testing before a breakout, and has the proper protocols in place? Well, there isn't a single country that started testing potential cases before their breakouts. Italy, South Korea, Iran, and other countries are starting to find out now how many people were infected the last couple weeks. You don't think that any flight in those countries was pretty risky a week before they started confirming cases en masse?

Who is the next Italy - do you know? It can be Germany, Spain, Brazil, Canada, France, and heck maybe even the US.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2020, 03:29:24 PM »
Two more interesting links from Israel:

The Ministry of Health setup a quarantine registration site: https://govextra.gov.il/ministry-of-health/corona/corona-virus-en/

According to this catch-all update from the Times Of Israel - https://www.timesofisrael.com/el-al-suspends-flights-to-italy-thailand-over-1700-israelis-quarantined/, the Ministry of Health doesn't want you to come to the hospital if you came in contact or had symptoms. It wants you to call MDA, and have them come to check you out and determine what needs to happen.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »
The disruption due to potentially being quarantined is much more statistically signifant than actually getting COVID-19.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »
You are saying the risk on any single flight is TEENY as if that is a fact, but the risk may in fact be huge. We can't assess risk until we know how widespread the virus is and it takes time to find out. Are you traveling to a place that implemented extensive testing before a breakout, and has the proper protocols in place? Well, there isn't a single country that started testing potential cases before their breakouts. Italy, South Korea, Iran, and other countries are starting to find out now how many people were infected the last couple weeks. You don't think that any flight in those countries was pretty risky a week before they started confirming cases en masse?

Who is the next Italy - do you know? It can be Germany, Spain, Brazil, Canada, France, and heck maybe even the US.

This is besides that in the closed cramped quarters of the plane it may be more likely to spread.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »

Again, you are mistaking statistical overall risk with incidental risk.  Obviously, I can't know what your risk on one particular flight is but we can estimate the risk of taking one flight among thousands in a world of 7 billion people that even if they are undereported has maybe a couple hundred thousand cases.  I'm trying to focus on the thought processes that cause hysteria.  I also don't know when or where the next lightning strike will be but I do know my overall risk of getting struck is pretty low.  But hey lots of people waste millions on lotto tickets too so I know people overestimate their odds for the both the positive and negative!  :)

Two more interesting links from Israel:

The Ministry of Health setup a quarantine registration site: https://govextra.gov.il/ministry-of-health/corona/corona-virus-en/

According to this catch-all update from the Times Of Israel - https://www.timesofisrael.com/el-al-suspends-flights-to-italy-thailand-over-1700-israelis-quarantined/, the Ministry of Health doesn't want you to come to the hospital if you came in contact or had symptoms. It wants you to call MDA, and have them come to check you out and determine what needs to happen.

In this vein, my son's HS Yeshiva emailed us this morning that unless students are Israeli citizens they need to be aware that if they go to Italy or the Far East (I know he has classmates from Italy and Singapore and other boys may have been booked home via Alitalia) they won't be allowed back into Israel (and even if they are Israeli citizens they will need to be quarantined and the dorm is not an allowable place to do so) and they wanted to make sure all the boys understand and make appropriate plans for Pesach while the dorm is closed if they now can't go home.  :-[   Right now my son is booked to fly home through LHR and back through CDG and I'm just hoping they stay off the government's banned area through Pesach or if they don't that BA & AA would be nice about rerouting them...

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
From the Jerusalem Post - "Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

Offline ltttc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2020, 06:45:29 PM »
Best Chinese themed Mishloach Manos for this year: Corona Beer  ;D

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »
You are correct. I missed that. Most people call me just before they leave, so they aren't really interested in that kind of coverage, and definitely won't pay for it.

If anyone knows how I can sign up for this plan, please PM me

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2020, 07:51:47 PM »
From the Jerusalem Post - "Israeli scientists: 'In a few weeks, we will have coronavirus vaccine'

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101
so basically they're saying that...  more people will start dying now?