1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 575307 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #440 on: March 06, 2020, 12:43:44 AM »
for some reason this virus reminds me of the world trade center
when the 1st plane crashed FDNY said everyone should stay calm they have it under control and advised against leaving till everything came tumbling down (I wasn't there, מפי השמועה)
trump keeps on reassuring the citizens keep calm its not that bad, CDC don't buy masks, just watch it happening in real time
["-"]

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 06, 2020, 01:00:46 AM »
A few tidbits  -Italy has the world 2nd oldest population after Japan.

So. Korea as of 3.4.2020 had tested 130K people had 5,300 cases and 32 deaths   -  With a mortality rate of .06% 

The Diamond Princess has a mortality rate of  .08%

The other end of the spectrum is China, Iran and Italy at 3~3. 8% mortality rate.  The majority of deaths in Italy have been those 60+ years old, the same with the US.

Apparently there are two strains of the Covid19 - based on the progression in  Italy, South Korea and Iran - we will either see a huge uptick in cases and perhaps deaths in the US and other parts of the world.

First off, you are calculating all your percentages wrong. Eg. Diamond Princess - you are trying to say it's 0.8%, but you wrote .08%, a 10x difference. Same for South Korea. Regardless, the number you are looking for based on your (flawed) methodology is 7 out of 775 - 0.9% . Next - you are using an overly simplistic method of calculating CFR, as not all cases have been completed yet. There are still 34 severe cases, and only 40 confirmed recoveries. Some people calculate death to completed case ratio, which is also flawed at this point in the other direction, as most cases are not yet finalized but will likely recover. One last point about the DP. It can teach us a lot about the fatality and severe case rate (once it's over) in a mostly controlled setting. The outbreak on the DP does not account for hospitals that are potentially overwhelmed like in Hubei, where the CFR is currently very high at 4.3%.   

South Korea and Italy and any country ramping up testing needs to be analyzed properly. Due to extensive testing, they are finding cases very early. Italy's first case was confirmed only 2 weeks ago. You can't use the thousands of newly discovered cases as evidence of a low CFR when it can take 6-8 weeks to die.

OTOH, the numbers from the US is pretty concerning. Not because of the high CFR, it will go down. The problem is they're only finding new cases if they're severe or fatal. Mild or asymptomatic cases are only discovered if they are linked to an existing confirmed case. This points at an alarming amount of mild cases that are spreading the virus all over the US and no one has a clue.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #442 on: March 06, 2020, 04:03:48 AM »
GE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old   
no fatalities

Why the lack of deaths under 10? what is different about this disease that it is killing older people vs babies/children??

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 06, 2020, 05:24:32 AM »
All these are based on percentages of confirmed cases? It doesn't seem like they're accounting for cases that never come in and get tested, so it's probably actually lower. That's basically impossible to eatate at this point. The flu has been around long enough that they can make educated guesses.

Offline YoniPDX

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: "Do you KNOW WHO I AM......cause I forget, and where was I sitting?" Club Member
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
GE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old   
no fatalities

Why the lack of deaths under 10? what is different about this disease that it is killing older people vs babies/children??

From what I've read is that the immature immune system of youth - doesn't respond and activate the Mast cells and initiate a robust histamine response (i.e. congestion from mucus [an example of  an extreme histamine response i.e. allergy to peanuts better known as  anaphylaxic shock]) which causes/leads to the respiratory issues/breathing issues.

Smokers and persons with Hypertension/Cardiac issues tend to have lower O² saturation even when not sick -  they will have higher mortality when infected with a respiratory virus.  So they succumb to respiratory failure - (i.e. your O² blood saturation is too low and CO² concentration is too high in your blood because your lungs are not able to exchange the gases in your blood).

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #445 on: March 06, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »
Rabbi for synagogue at center of New York coronavirus outbreak tests positive https://nypost.com/2020/03/06/rabbi-at-new-rochelle-coronavirus-synagogue-has-tested-positive/
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 06, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »
All these are based on percentages of confirmed cases? It doesn't seem like they're accounting for cases that never come in and get tested, so it's probably actually lower. That's basically impossible to eatate at this point. The flu has been around long enough that they can make educated guesses.

The percentages you are seeing are coming from dashboards that are only counting confirmed cases. The dashboards are not trying to predict the final CFR, they are simply tallying the currently known CFR. This is not an estimate or a prediction for how things will turn out. It’s the epidemiologists that estimate what the real CFR might end up being, and there are plenty of data points that can help them get a decent estimate.

A big debate is how many asymptomatic/mild cases are not being counted as confirmed cases. One way to figure this out - find out the how the virus affects large groups of people that are randomly tested, where testing criteria isn’t based on a person developing symptoms. So imagine a case where 10k people were exposed to a confirmed case, and that same day we take all 10k people and start testing and monitoring. If we find 5000 confirmed cases, we check after 6-8 weeks, how many of them never develop any symptoms? How many have mild symptoms, and how many are hospitalized or die? If the rate is 80% mild/no symptoms, 20% severe/2% die, then we can apply that rate to completed cases to see how many cases we missed. If the completed numbers are showing 40% severe cases, we know we’re likely missing half the milder cases, and can adjust the CFR by half to 1.7%. But if the ratio is 25% severe cases, then we are not missing much, and the estimated CFR will only be lowered to 2.7%. (Obviously this is a simplified explanation as experts will be adjusting for age, health conditions, and other factors).

Where might we find significant testing not based on symptoms? South Korea is testing the entire church cult consisting of 210k members. We might need to be patient until all this data is ready, but regardless it’s too early to say what the final CFR will be.

One last thing - the experts provided estimates of about 8% CFR for SARS during that outbreak but, that number was actually revised upwards to 10% after everything was over. Which means the experts overestimated the amount of unconfirmed cases. When we see expert estimates of 1-3% CFR, they’re already basing that on their estimate of unconfirmed cases. No need to adjust and reduce their numbers further.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #447 on: March 06, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »
Rabbi for synagogue at center of New York coronavirus outbreak tests positive https://nypost.com/2020/03/06/rabbi-at-new-rochelle-coronavirus-synagogue-has-tested-positive/
Wow. He is my stepbrother's father in law.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #448 on: March 06, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2020, 04:20:10 PM »
So this one guy has the virus, and over 3 weeks of him not knowing he had it it spread to tens of people if not more. Those people walked around for awhile too with it not knowing. I can't imagine how many people will be known to have it once we start (if they ever) testing anyone who had to do with the second level of this virus. And by the time we find them they will have spread it further. This is uncontainable and whoever gave that ratio of 1 person infecting 1.3 to 2 people is way off.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline YoniPDX

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: "Do you KNOW WHO I AM......cause I forget, and where was I sitting?" Club Member
« Reply #451 on: March 06, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »
"....The national health institute said the average age of those who had died so far was 81, with the vast majority suffering underlying health problems. Just 28 per cent were women.

The fatality rate from the illness in Italy, which has one of the oldest populations in the world, is running at 4.25 per cent...."
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid19-italy-deaths-mar-6-12511380

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #452 on: March 07, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »
So this one guy has the virus, and over 3 weeks of him not knowing he had it it spread to tens of people if not more. Those people walked around for awhile too with it not knowing. I can't imagine how many people will be known to have it once we start (if they ever) testing anyone who had to do with the second level of this virus. And by the time we find them they will have spread it further. This is uncontainable and whoever gave that ratio of 1 person infecting 1.3 to 2 people is way off.
That's not necessarily the case. If the guy wasn't coughing it up or sneezing it out and/or the other people were practicing proper hygiene, there's no reason why that should be true.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 07, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
Now the conspiracy is did they release the virus by accident...

So now I'm thinking you may be onto something here. Trump put tarrifs on China. China gets mad. China releases this virus which they know will eventually go worldwide. The markets will crash. Trump will be pushed out of office. China wins.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
Start from 5:15 :P

Uh, no.  This guy predicts millions will die.  No one thinks the world is coming to an end.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
Visibly Jewish

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2020, 11:14:47 PM »
I think the whole world should go on a preventive quarantine  for 2 weeks. 
Starting Wednesday, no one leaves their house anywhere, except for a skeleton crew of essential personnel.
This would alleviate the protracted situation we have now. Besides killing people, it's killing the economy.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline how

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:33 PM »
Why isn't the US building new regional hospiatls to manage this