1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 592336 times)

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #1720 on: March 31, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
A relative showed me a video of an outdoor bar mitzvah yesterday (maybe 2 days ago? My inner clock is completely wonky) near 7th street/park area. It got shut down by the cops, but I didn't see it in the news. From what I saw it was absolutely against the rules, and very unsafe. Some people are just sick in the head and we can't make excuses for everyone.
Police said they were called to a home where 40 to 50 guests were gathered on the front lawn and in the street for a bar mitzvah, the celebration that mark's a Jewish boy's coming of age. E.S., 37, and M.S. 34, were charged with five counts of child endangerment.

On Monday, two other men were also arrested for hosting another large gathering in Lakewood. At approximately 8:30 a.m., Lakewood Township Police were called to Bais Horraah on Madison Ave. for a report of a large gathering of people. Responding officers found approximately 35 people inside the building.

After several unsuccessful attempts by the officers to clear the building, the crowd was eventually dispersed. The building houses a Jewish school along with a banquet facility. [FOX5]

Offline michael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: March 31, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »
Had a "minyan" at a bris this morning. Three men on one porch. 25 feet away, another three men on another porch. One man in one yard and another in another yard. Mohel and father in the house with the window open. Was very odd, but we all said amen to the brachos.

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: March 31, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »
Had a "minyan" at a bris this morning. Three men on one porch. 25 feet away, another three men on another porch. One man in one yard and another in another yard. Mohel and father in the house with the window open. Was very odd, but we all said amen to the brachos.
odd times call for odd measures

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1723 on: March 31, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »
We all need to social distance as much as humanly possible.

Are we required to maintain social distance within the household?

Believe me, I understand distancing and other precautions, and was practicing most of it before rules became strict. But I'm also trying to use common sense. The 17 people of my family and my daughter's family have all been together and have all been exposed and/or had symptoms of one kind or another. My BIL's family suffered mostly worse symptoms, with several family members confirmed, and they are mostly recovered.

It's easy for me to say no. But I'm getting pushback and arguments that are hard to refute. I really cannot see what additional risk or contagion could occur by having the two families together. The kids are begging for some change of scenery.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: March 31, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »

Believe me, I understand distancing and other precautions, and was practicing most of it before rules became strict. But I'm also trying to use common sense. The 17 people of my family and my daughter's family have all been together and have all been exposed and/or had symptoms of one kind or another. My BIL's family suffered mostly worse symptoms, with several family members confirmed, and they are mostly recovered.

It's easy for me to say no. But I'm getting pushback and arguments that are hard to refute. I really cannot see what additional risk or contagion could occur by having the two families together. The kids are begging for some change of scenery.
We are having family over for part of pesach who have/had had the virus already (as we have had/have it). Obviously if they are showing symptoms next week we will cancel but they shouldn't have symptoms then anymore.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1725 on: March 31, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
We are having family over for part of pesach who have/had had the virus already (as we have had/have it). Obviously if they are showing symptoms next week we will cancel but they shouldn't have symptoms then anymore.

Did everyone in your household get it already?
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: March 31, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
Did everyone in your household get it already?
Everyone besides 2 kids aged 12-16, we did not practice any social distancing or the such since whomever (3/7) we tested 2 weeks ago came out positive (and 2 more showed symptoms) so it's a good assumption that them being stuck inside a house for 2 weeks with 5 other sick people that they got it too.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: March 31, 2020, 01:40:06 PM »
Everyone besides 2 kids aged 12-16, we did not practice any social distancing or the such since whomever (3/7) we tested 2 weeks ago came out positive (and 2 more showed symptoms) so it's a good assumption that them being stuck inside a house for 2 weeks with 5 other sick people that they got it too.

More or less my situation (except that no-one in my household was actually tested, while several in my BIL's family tested positive). So why should we be distancing? Why not have a get together?
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 31, 2020, 01:51:45 PM »
More or less my situation (except that no-one in my household was actually tested, while several in my BIL's family tested positive). So why should we be distancing? Why not have a get together?
This is why everyone should want the antibody test. I think it's what the government should invest the most amount of money into to save the economy. Once you know you've had it you should be good for a few months (but hopefully forever if the virus doesn't evolve).

We were supposed to have other extended family members over, but they didn't get it, and these did, so we switched the invite to them. We will not have anyone over who didnt get it because we don't want to spread this to other communities accidentally. As of now no other relatives got it so it seems like we will only be having them. Better than no one.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1729 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »
This is why everyone should want the antibody test. I think it's what the government should invest the most amount of money into to save the economy. Once you know you've had it you should be good for a few months (but hopefully forever if the virus doesn't evolve).

We were supposed to have other extended family members over, but they didn't get it, and these did, so we switched the invite to them. We will not have anyone over who didnt get it because we don't want to spread this to other communities accidentally. As of now no other relatives got it so it seems like we will only be having them. Better than no one.
https://www.axios.com/fda-coronavirus-two-minute-testing-kit-bodysphere-a665429d-488d-4edf-bd36-9180e2a06e4c.html
Yes. especially since it is an antibody test.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 31, 2020, 02:01:02 PM »
It was taken in city hospital with CDC tests. 3 defective tests? Maybe?....
3 times? Again, very professional doctors / lab.
It definitely seems extremely unlikely

Understand your predicament.

I just want to add that if pictures of this can cause a chillul hashem I would recommend against it.

Also, I'd you do end up going ahead with it o would try not to publicize it, as it gives "Chizuk" to those that aren't following the rules.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 31, 2020, 03:11:38 PM »
It definitely seems extremely unlikelyUnderstand your predicament.

I just want to add that if pictures of this can cause a chillul hashem I would recommend against it.

Also, I'd you do end up going ahead with it o would try not to publicize it, as it gives "Chizuk" to those that aren't following the rules.
i think it should be "publicized" with the explanation that all are "post-covid".
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 31, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »
Front page article on cnn.com

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/middleeast/israel-coronavirus-ultra-orthodox-intl/index.html
Chillul hashem.

BTW, over 50% of Corona patients in almost all hospitals in Israel are chareidi. Six of the top 7 corona hotspots in ISrael are chareidi. Litzman wants to put a lockdown on Bnei Brak.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 31, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
Police said they were called to a home where 40 to 50 guests were gathered on the front lawn and in the street for a bar mitzvah, the celebration that mark's a Jewish boy's coming of age. E.S., 37, and M.S. 34, were charged with five counts of child endangerment.

That story said Alamito drive, and someone here said it wasn't as bad as media made it sound. The one I'm talking about was elsewhere, and was bad.
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1737 on: March 31, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »

The answer is simple. We don't know what the virus can and can't do. Until then follow the guidelines.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 31, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »
The answer is simple. We don't know what the virus can and can't do. Until then follow the guidelines.
And what are the guidelines for recovered families?
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1739 on: March 31, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »
And what are the guidelines for recovered families?

Call the Gedalia Society hotline