1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 591589 times)

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #2160 on: April 29, 2020, 11:04:08 AM »
You mean for your work in food production? That’s not a leisure trip.
I know. I was just shooting my mouth off once again.
On another note, most of the hotels in New England are closed. The ones that are open in VT/NH/ME aren't accepting online reservations. I managed to find a hotel 45 min from where I need to be in VT (normally I stay 15 min away) and they required a letter from my company stating that I am essential to their operation.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: April 29, 2020, 11:11:43 AM »
This is assuming ( erroneously, i might add) that this Virus is going to be eradicated and not here to stay.
#FlattenTheCurve

It’s not at all a given that COVID is the new flu. SARS and MERS (other major coronaviruses in recent times) faded away, until we know facts that point otherwise, we can realistically hope this one does too.

A flatter curve means it’s not increasing exponentially, and even flatter means the new cases (and R”L deaths) are level. That’s a flat curve. We would need NO new cases for this to be over.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: April 29, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »
I know. I was just shooting my mouth off once again.
On another note, most of the hotels in New England are closed. The ones that are open in VT/NH/ME aren't accepting online reservations. I managed to find a hotel 45 min from where I need to be in VT (normally I stay 15 min away) and they required a letter from my company stating that I am essential to their operation.
Wouldn't you be the one writing that? ;D

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: April 29, 2020, 11:41:48 AM »
It’s not at all a given that COVID is the new flu. SARS and MERS (other major coronaviruses in recent times) faded away, until we know facts that point otherwise, we can realistically hope this one does too.

A flatter curve means it’s not increasing exponentially, and even flatter means the new cases (and R”L deaths) are level. That’s a flat curve. We would need NO new cases for this to be over.

Are you really equating SARS1 and MERS ? do i have to show you the numbers?
Flatten The Curve was designed so that we don't overwhelm our healthcare system which has been achieved, to actually think this is going away anytime soon, is to bury our heads in the sand, which means we have to return to some societal normalcy ASAP!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: April 29, 2020, 11:44:13 AM »
Are you really equating SARS1 and MERS ? do i have to show you the numbers?
Flatten The Curve was designed so that we don't overwhelm our healthcare system which has been achieved, to actually think this is going away anytime soon, is to bury our heads in the sand, which means we have to return to some societal normalcy ASAP! 

I disagree. To me it means that if we don’t be careful about how we “go back to normalcy” (or any semblance thereof) were risking a second wave. Assuming masks are effective, my feelings are strict use of masks in public has much better adoption in Asia (and Israel) than in the USA.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: April 29, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »
I disagree. To me it means that if we don’t be careful about how we “go back to normalcy” (or any semblance thereof) were risking a second wave. Assuming masks are effective, my feelings are strict use of masks in public has much better adoption in Asia (and Israel) than in the USA.

So what specifically advocating for?

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 29, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »
Second wave is guaranteed. Only question is does it overwhelm hospitals when it happens.

There is a video circulating on Whatsapp about being reliastic that Airline travel utilizing social distancing is  just not economically viable before a vaccine is introduced. Normal activities like the person in the video is discussing such as skiing etc will not happen in 2020 and may only happen towards the end of 2021 best case scenario.

Meanwhile, all I keep on hearing are people from our communities in NY flying out of PHL to avoid mandatory quarantines in FL and overrunning certain gated communities there. I just dont get it.

Shev V'al taaseh Udif
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2167 on: April 29, 2020, 12:17:22 PM »
Our healthcare system IHMO did a great job so far. What we need is national plan to utilize all aspects of it. We know everyone is getting hit at different times so things need to be moved around. That includes patients if need be.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 29, 2020, 12:25:02 PM »
Our healthcare system IHMO did a great job so far. What we need is national plan to utilize all aspects of it. We know everyone is getting hit at different times so things need to be moved around. That includes patients if need be.
USNS Comfort was an absolute waste. Treated 182 patients total. Javits Center was useful but not having direct admissions was also a waste. The good news is the shortage of ventilators never materialized. They have figured out that the vent is not the be all and end all of this virus. C-Pap and Bi-Pap machines worked just fine along with anti-coagulants and outside the box respiratory measures such as at home oxygen concentrators, proning of patients and allowing patients to go on much longer showing hypoxic numbers than would normally be allowed. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2169 on: April 29, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »
USNS Comfort was an absolute waste. Treated 182 patients total. Javits Center was useful but not having direct admissions was also a waste. The good news is the shortage of ventilators never materialized. They have figured out that the vent is not the be all and end all of this virus. C-Pap and Bi-Pap machines worked just fine along with anti-coagulants and outside the box respiratory measures such as at home oxygen concentrators, proning of patients and allowing patients to go on much longer showing hypoxic numbers than would normally be allowed. 
I am not sure that it was a waste or that in the end it just wasn't needed, but a "Comfort" to have had the option in case it was needed.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 29, 2020, 12:40:39 PM »
I am not sure that it was a waste or that in the end it just wasn't needed, but a "Comfort" to have had the option in case it was needed.
It was there to soothe the public. As a symbol it was great. Should have parked it in a more visible spot is the only complaint I have then.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 29, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »

The point is, there was never a shortage of ventilators or beds, even in the epicenter of the US outbreak.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 29, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
The point is, there was never a shortage of ventilators or beds, even in the epicenter of the US outbreak.
When you have people up and down the hallways on gurneys that is called a shortage of beds.

Offline Chapshnell

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #2173 on: April 29, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »

Really now? Tell that to all the patients lined up in hospital hallways

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: April 29, 2020, 01:03:39 PM »
When you have people up and down the hallways on gurneys that is called a shortage of beds.
Direct admissions to Javits and the ship would have alleviated that problem. Also, not ventilating patients as a matter of protocol would have solved some of that problem too.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: April 29, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
Direct admissions to Javits and the ship would have alleviated that problem. Also, not ventilating patients as a matter of protocol would have solved some of that problem too.
The point is there was a shortage of beds at one time!!!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 29, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »
The point is there was a shortage of beds at one time!!!
There was never a shortage of beds in any hospital. No patients that I heard of was turned away from a hospital. Hospitals barely went on diversion. Hospitals go on diversion way more often in non-pandemic times than I have heard them going on diversion in the past weeks.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 29, 2020, 01:28:17 PM »
There was never a shortage of beds in any hospital. No patients that I heard of was turned away from a hospital. Hospitals barely went on diversion. Hospitals go on diversion way more often in non-pandemic times than I have heard them going on diversion in the past weeks.
Hello wall.
Come visit me. We only have one bed and DW and I will be in it. You might have to sleep on the floor or out in the garage but there is no shortage of beds.  :)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 29, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »

Really now ? why don't you try to find those patients? ???
We had the USNS Comfort and Javits center sitting empty?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 29, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
Hello wall.
Come visit me. We only have one bed and DW and I will be in it. You might have to sleep on the floor or out in the garage but there is no shortage of beds.  :)
You obviously have never been in a NYC hospital. Hallways are the norm in the ED always. That just translated to beds in the hallways on the floors. There were no shortages though. No one was sleeping on the floor. or in the garage. What are you t alking about? Truly amazing the pretzels you need to bake. You cant see that there was a plan in place that utterly failed but didnt result in the chaos that was predicted? Or the intellectual dishonesty that you are being accused of elsewhere is just showing up here too?