1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 580226 times)

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #2320 on: May 03, 2020, 12:16:58 AM »
Speak for yourself. I’ve cried many hours for my family members who have died, as well as multiple close family friends, and my pediatrician. I think I’ve earned that right.
That's why ask advice from someone above your emotional spontaneous thoughts.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2321 on: May 03, 2020, 12:19:04 AM »
That's why ask advice from someone above your emotional spontaneous thoughts.
So which are you saying is a reason not to, crying or not crying?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2322 on: May 03, 2020, 12:20:54 AM »
Someone called his rabbi/freind.....  asking him if he should snitch, he answered, how many hours have you cried over those who died?
He got the answer.

Call your spiritual/mentor/rabbi and ask him if you should.

I didn't... what answer did he get?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 03, 2020, 12:24:06 AM »
To answer @AsherO , get in contact with a mentor , rabbi, or close friend that they respect a lot and try to get them to change their ways- the cops might do the trick but it’s not the only answer for now..
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 03, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
Not sure what one has to do with the other.
Don't bother. The "Rabbanim" he's referring to are not "Rabbanim" who pasken according to SA, but rather their emotions and "feelings" and "vos yener tut".

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2325 on: May 03, 2020, 12:41:41 AM »
Someone called his rabbi/freind.....  asking him if he should snitch, he answered, how many hours have you cried over those who died?
He got the answer.

Call your spiritual/mentor/rabbi and ask him if you should.
You seemed upset at the suggestion that he should snitch. Now is a good time to point out that Lo saamod al dam reyecha was in this week’s parsha. Then you posted a story without an obvious point. Are you agreeing that that’s the appropriate action? Or are you saying don’t snitch under any circumstances? Or perhaps that he should, after consulting with a Rav first? Not clear, but I’m not sure what you were snapping about.

We get it, you don’t take this virus seriously. Don’t risk other people’s lives with equal flippancy.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2326 on: May 03, 2020, 12:44:36 AM »
I will try to get a copy
Please do. I’m fairly certain it’s not a blanket statement not to call the cops on someone endangering the lives of others.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2327 on: May 03, 2020, 12:49:51 AM »
Not sure what one has to do with the other.
I’m not sure either. I thought he was insinuating that I’m probably saying this out of anger not actual concern, which is a despicable allegation and completely untrue. Apparently, it was actually just a straw man set up question with no real answer.

Don't bother. The "Rabbanim" he's referring to are not "Rabbanim" who pasken according to SA, but rather their emotions and "feelings" and "vos yener tut".
I don’t want to believe this, and I do think there can be Halachic disagreement, but I’m not sure what was so shocking about the suggestion of reporting them. If ever there is an appropriate time to report, this is it.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 03, 2020, 01:15:00 AM »
I’m not sure what was so shocking about the suggestion of reporting them. If ever there is an appropriate time to report, this is it.
You are of the opinion that they are endangering people otherwise you would be a plain old מוסר. They are of the opinion that they are not endangering anyone. At this point the level of danger is very debatable. I don't know if a חשש רחוק פיקוח נפש would warrant מסירה.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2329 on: May 03, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »

You are of the opinion that they are endangering people otherwise you would be a plain old מוסר. They are of the opinion that they are not endangering anyone. At this point the level of danger is very debatable. I don't know if a חשש רחוק פיקוח נפש would warrant מסירה.

Someone with symptoms inviting guests? How is the level of danger debatable? What are the 2 sides?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 03, 2020, 01:29:22 AM »
Isn't one of the exceptions in the NY stay at home order that you can visit family and friends? or was that only in the original EO?

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 03, 2020, 02:02:06 AM »

Someone with symptoms inviting guests? How is the level of danger debatable? What are the 2 sides?
The OP didn't say they have symptoms just that they had symptoms. What I wrote was based on the assumption that noone has or recently had symptoms.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 03, 2020, 04:31:17 AM »
I think the former is more likely. The areas that got hit hard earlier are far more likely to have taken social distancing measures much, much more more seriously over the last month. Areas like South Jersey are likely to have taken a lax approach, since they weren't as likely to have been personally affected.

I give this theory based on anecdotal evidence here in Florida, where it has been less hard hit than many other places. People with direct connections to Covid patients, both locally and in other parts of the country, are far more likely to take this seriously. Many here only know of this from the news, so they are pretty much living life as usual and looking at stay-at-home measures with annoyance.

Nice theory but I haven’t seen any correlation in NJ. Can you point to reported violations or any other stat that shows correlation to the counties now experiencing faster doubling? The only correlation I see is a much later start date which clearly speaks to the virus having run its course in the counties with 30 days plus doubling time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2333 on: May 03, 2020, 06:56:54 AM »
Nice theory but I haven’t seen any correlation in NJ. Can you point to reported violations or any other stat that shows correlation to the counties now experiencing faster doubling? The only correlation I see is a much later start date which clearly speaks to the virus having run its course in the counties with 30 days plus doubling time.

I don't like the doubling stat as a barometer, because it is only a good stat if conditions stay the same through the life of the case study. By all accounts, North and Central Jersey started taking social distancing very seriously from mid-to-late March, after the first spike in reported cases, which completely alters the trajectory of the spread. I don't have social distancing stats for either part of the state, and they wouldn't be reliable even if I did. I know enough about South Jersey to know it is highly likely social distancing isn't being taken seriously and that LE is under-reporting it, if they're reporting it at all.

In the same vein, to say South Jersey has been complying with social distancing regs and they are still experiencing a surge means that this virus is spread in ways we previously hadn't considered, making this scarier than it has been until now.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2334 on: May 03, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
OK I am confused. A snitch is reporting someone who you feel is doing something wrong?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2336 on: May 03, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »
The OP didn't say they have symptoms just that they had symptoms. What I wrote was based on the assumption that noone has or recently had symptoms.
I understood that they are showing symptoms, in which case the danger isn’t debatable. Even if they are no longer showing symptoms, I think saying it’s a chashash rachok is definitely pushing it..

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 03, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »
Very little reporting on this possibility.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/what-happens-if-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-never-developed-its-happened-before/ar-BB13wAe0?ocid=spartanntp

Certainly a possibility, but considering the contagion and prevalence of COVID, I’m confident that at least one of the initiatives will pan out.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 03, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
I understood that they are showing symptoms, in which case the danger isn’t debatable. Even if they are no longer showing symptoms, I think saying it’s a chashash rachok is definitely pushing it..

The post made it sound like the symptoms are current/recent. If medical experts considered it Chashash rachok, we would already have immunity passports.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2339 on: May 03, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »
Very little reporting on this possibility.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/what-happens-if-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-never-developed-its-happened-before/ar-BB13wAe0?ocid=spartanntp
I think we all understand this is a possibility. Remember, we are all pushing for a way forward now, before any vaccine is ready in any case. Effective containment and proper treatment will dramatically stunt the severity of the virus’ impact.

That said, it is highly likely a vaccine WILL be developed, and quickly. The reasons are legion as to why this is different than HIV and other viruses we haven’t found vaccines for as of yet.