1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 597724 times)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #2780 on: June 18, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
They are not required to mask. You going to pretend they are safe?
no idea. As one epidemiologist put it to me, "we're all part of the world's biggest science experiment".
Since wearing a mask is at best a small discomfort that everyone can get used to fairly quickly, I'm big proponent of enforcing masks since experts tell that that has the best potential for stopping the spread.
I personally still wear a mask. My rational is similar to my rational for wearing a seatbelt. Although a seatbelt hasn't saved my life or prevented injury in 33 years, I still wear it because it's at best a tiny, tiny discomfort which has the potential to save my life. (Seatbelts actually have a longer history of saving lives than masks do)
When asked by someone in Lakewood why I'm wearing a mask, I responded , if I'm wrong, I've gone through minor discomfort and look a bit strange. If your wrong then people will start dying. "

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2781 on: June 18, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »
I have a question for people in the NY/NJ area. There was understandably a lot of noise NY/NJ to "go back to normal" since Pesach, maybe even before. Many of those pushing for mass normalization pointed to states with low case counts who were reopening, such as FL, TX, and AZ, as proof that it could and should be done.

The question is really in 3 parts:
1) Given what we're seeing now from states that reopened, do you still feel as strongly for mass reopening vs slow reopening?
2) As @avromie7 stated elsewhere, you need infected people in order to spread the virus. Considering how many people were infected in NY/NJ 6 weeks ago, and what we see 6 weeks later from states which had low infection rates at the time, do you think not opening NY/NJ back then turned out to be the right move, even inadvertently?
3) Given the spread in certain states now and the lack of mask laws in those states, did NY have it right all along, even if the enforcement was done horribly?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: June 18, 2020, 01:53:10 PM »
I have a question for people in the NY/NJ area. There was understandably a lot of noise NY/NJ to "go back to normal" since Pesach, maybe even before. Many of those pushing for mass normalization pointed to states with low case counts who were reopening, such as FL, TX, and AZ, as proof that it could and should be done.

The question is really in 3 parts:
1) Given what we're seeing now from states that reopened, do you still feel as strongly for mass reopening vs slow reopening?
2) As @avromie7 stated elsewhere, you need infected people in order to spread the virus. Considering how many people were infected in NY/NJ 6 weeks ago, and what we see 6 weeks later from states which had low infection rates at the time, do you think not opening NY/NJ back then turned out to be the right move, even inadvertently?
3) Given the spread in certain states now and the lack of mask laws in those states, did NY have it right all along, even if the enforcement was done horribly?
My position has been and continues to be - open up everything with some restrictions that have a very high ROI. Possible examples would be no massive events and masks in high traffic areas like groceries as well as protecting the vulnerable.

I don't think it's wrong to allow people to pretty much get back to normal even if it means a spike in cases as long as it doesn't overwhelm the hospital system. If people want to be more cautious they're more than welcome and maybe even encouraged.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2783 on: June 18, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
My position has been and continues to be - open up everything with some restrictions that have a very high ROI. Possible examples would be no massive events and masks in high traffic areas like groceries as well as protecting the vulnerable.
+1
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2784 on: June 18, 2020, 02:05:12 PM »

I don't think it's wrong to allow people to pretty much get back to normal even if it means a spike in cases as long as it doesn't overwhelm the hospital system. If people want to be more cautious they're more than welcome and maybe even encouraged.

AZ is almost at hospital capacity. If NY had gone back to normal 6 weeks ago, given the rate of infection spread we're seeing in open states, you don't think NY hospitals would have been overrun?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2785 on: June 18, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
AZ is almost at hospital capacity. If NY had gone back to normal 6 weeks ago, given the rate of infection spread we're seeing in open states, you don't think NY hospitals would have been overrun?
Likely not. A very large percentage of people have antibodies, and many of the more vulnerable would stay vigilant as they have been.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: June 18, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
If this would have been done smart from the beginning and opened up 6-8 weeks ago, I would be ok with some more restrictions being returned for a short while if the spread gets too bad. At this point I don't want any government power grabbing regardless of why or how important they claim it is.

I don't know the specifics of AZ, but keep in mind 20%+ of NYC already got the virus by then, that's a significant portion of the population that is no longer susceptible.

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: June 18, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »
If this would have been done smart from the beginning and opened up 6-8 weeks ago, I would be ok with some more restrictions being returned for a short while if the spread gets too bad. At this point I don't want any government power grabbing regardless of why or how important they claim it is.
As I've said before. Why would you not make an educated and responsible decision? Blaming authorities is great, but to use that as a reason not to listen to any restrictions "regardless of why or how important they claim it is" seems to be stupid and childish.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: June 18, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
As I've said before. Why would you not make an educated and responsible decision? Blaming authorities is great, but to use that as a reason not to listen to any restrictions "regardless of why or how important they claim it is" seems to be stupid and childish.
I would make my own decision based on the circumstances, we learnt the hard way not to allow the government to decide for us.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2789 on: June 18, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
I would make my own decision based on the circumstances, we learnt the hard way not to allow the government to decide for us.
You learned the hard way, or you felt that way all along and are now using confirmation bias to reach a conclusion you already had?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: June 18, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »
You learned the hard way, or you felt that way all along and are now using confirmation bias to reach a conclusion you already had?
There was a time I believed the shutdown was a good idea.

I hope that answers your question.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2791 on: June 18, 2020, 03:33:05 PM »
There was a time I believed the shutdown was a good idea.

I hope that answers your question.
If true it does

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: June 18, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »
Super-spreader event at an Oregon church infected 236 people

https://apnews.com/b2d7a8af05e862dc3e1d1c3d0cf0afd0
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2794 on: June 18, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
They going to blame this on increased testing?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/icu-beds-in-short-supply-across-florida-as-state-struggles-with-coronavirus-spike/ar-BB15G4qS?li=BBnb7Kz
No no, those are all people giving birth in the ICU who happened to test positive for COVID. They’re being hospitalized with COVID, not from COVID.

/s

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2795 on: June 18, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »
No no, those are all people giving birth in the ICU who happened to test positive for COVID. They’re being hospitalized with COVID, not from COVID.

/s
Thanks for clearing that up.  :)
For the last couple of weeks all I heard was all the new cases are because of the great job they are doing with testing.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: June 18, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
They going to blame this on increased testing?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/icu-beds-in-short-supply-across-florida-as-state-struggles-with-coronavirus-spike/ar-BB15G4qS?li=BBnb7Kz

/s
What capacity do they normally operate at?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: June 18, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  :)
For the last couple of weeks all I heard was all the new cases are because of the great job they are doing with testing.
Watch the RNC getting moved again and Florida flipping blue.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: June 18, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
What capacity do they normally operate at?

As of April 7, they had a little over 40% available.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: June 18, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »
Watch the RNC getting moved again and Florida flipping blue.

Regardless of the RNC being here or not, there is a real chance of the flip happening.