1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 580069 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #3080 on: July 07, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
And one of the first people I knew that had COVID-19 in Crown Heights was a lady in her 80s.
Had it before me?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3081 on: July 07, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »
Had it before me?

Definitely before I knew you had it, she participated in a spreader event a week or two before Purim. When she got it wasn't the point. The point is that she's quite old and got it very mild and recovered fast.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3082 on: July 07, 2020, 12:27:34 PM »
The point is that she's quite old and got it very mild and recovered fast.
As do most people, but what's the point?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3083 on: July 07, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »
Definitely before I knew you had it, she participated in a spreader event a week or two before Purim. When she got it wasn't the point. The point is that she's quite old and got it very mild and recovered fast.
Most old people recover but the odds of death (relative to nearly anything else)  are astronomical
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3084 on: July 07, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
As do most people, but what's the point?

Why don't you ask @Lurker? He brought up ages of Johnson, Bolsonaro and Trump in reference to recovery. I just added a DP.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3085 on: July 07, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
I posted the article not to say he was going to die, just as an ironic piece of news: the leader who's been in the news non-stop downplaying the virus, got the virus. I added Trump was coming to FL, as in another leader who's been downplaying the virus, going into a high risk situation with regards to catching the virus. How Boris Johnson's recovery was relevant is beyond me, but to the point that he recovered, the other 2 people I mentioned are higher risk. The older you are, the higher your risk. That doesn't mean you automatically die.

Man, you're smarter than this. Me having to spell out the nuance here is beneath you. Plus, you sell life insurance. Are you really going to tell me you don't get the concept of risk?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: July 07, 2020, 04:06:09 PM »
I posted the article not to say he was going to die, just as an ironic piece of news: the leader who's been in the news non-stop downplaying the virus, got the virus. I added Trump was coming to FL, as in another leader who's been downplaying the virus, going into a high risk situation with regards to catching the virus. How Boris Johnson's recovery was relevant is beyond me, but to the point that he recovered, the other 2 people I mentioned are higher risk. The older you are, the higher your risk. That doesn't mean you automatically die.

Man, you're smarter than this. Me having to spell out the nuance here is beneath you. Plus, you sell life insurance. Are you really going to tell me you don't get the concept of risk?

TBH, I didn't read the article, just saw the headline in the link, and noted what you posted about Trump. I noted Johnson because he was another leader that initially resisted shut-downs IIRC.

I really feel bad for you and for others 'round here that haven't had COVID-19 and are living in constant fear bordering on panic (at least that's the way it comes across). I don't know how I would feel or react if I were in your situation. I can tell you that on Purim I was highly critical of those ignoring common-sense protective measures (when it was mostly about surfaces), but at a certain point the genie was out of the bottle and IS uncontrollable.

There are plenty of risky things in life. I'm not saying anyone should or should take risks, but adults can decide for themselves based on widely available knowledge, as well as widely circulating theories, which risks they want to take, and which they choose to avoid. I am not going to criticize anyone for making their own choices. I am critical of those spreading panic and excessive fear, as well as using incoherent shoot-from-the-hip "control the virus" policies.

I guess cynicism comes with age. I'm not that old, but I've been around for quite a while as an adult (and as a teenager) to have seen and experienced a thing or two in life. A line that I often say is that the greatest risk to one's health is - living. Dead people don't get sick. As long as we're alive, BH, there will always be risks out there. We just need to take everything in the right proportion. At this point I think that FDR's line "There's nothing to fear but fear itself" is appropriate.
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: July 07, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »
I have no fear of catching COVID. My sole fear is catching it and being part of a chain that kills someone.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: July 07, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »
I have no fear of catching COVID. My sole fear is catching it and being part of a chain that kills someone.

So isn't it better to catch it in a controlled manner. I.e. catch, isolate, recover.
-- Dan

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: July 07, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
So isn't it better to catch it in a controlled manner. I.e. catch, isolate, recover.
How do you "know" you've caught it?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: July 07, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
How do you "know" you've caught it?

I would assume PCR test (shortly after deliberate exposure).
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: July 07, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »

There have been perfectly health young adults who've ended up in the ICU or died from it.

Would you catch it knowing there's a 1/1000 chance you could die? Seems pretty crazy to me.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: July 07, 2020, 04:48:13 PM »
I would assume PCR test (shortly after deliberate exposure).
And that way I can travel without quarantine ;)
But seriously - to my understanding that's not how it works - PCR test won't pick it up right away - and you are infectious before showing symptoms

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: July 07, 2020, 04:49:20 PM »
There have been perfectly health young adults who've ended up in the ICU or died from it.

Would you catch it knowing there's a 1/1000 chance you could die? Seems pretty crazy to me.
I meant to say this too - just because I'm not afraid of it, doesn't mean I would do it intentionally

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: July 07, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »

Indeed there were (based on what is publicly known), though the rate is by far less than 1/1000 for young people without any underlying conditions.

What would I do if I never had it? As I said before, I don't know. Now that I've had it, I have 0 fear of catching it again, even if it will be accompanied by symptoms. Whether I would do it, might be a question to ask my LOR.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: July 07, 2020, 04:56:14 PM »
And that way I can travel without quarantine ;)
But seriously - to my understanding that's not how it works - PCR test won't pick it up right away - and you are infectious before showing symptoms

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that a PCR test could pick it up pretty early after infection (a day or two). Getting infected in a controlled manner, one could isolate (or only hang around people with antibodies).
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3096 on: July 07, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
Indeed there were (based on what is publicly known), though the rate is by far less than 1/1000 for young people without any underlying conditions.

What would I do if I never had it? As I said before, I don't know. Now that I've had it, I have 0 fear of catching it again, even if it will be accompanied by symptoms. Whether I would do it, might be a question to ask my LOR.

Do you see any parallels in this attitude and risky behaviors in young adults?

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3097 on: July 07, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
Do you see any parallels in this attitude and risky behaviors in young adults?
Should we look at FL?  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3098 on: July 07, 2020, 05:11:12 PM »
Whether I would do it, might be a question to ask my LOR.

What would the tzad heter be for someone to catch it intentionally?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: July 07, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
Should we look at FL?  :)

I wasn't referring to Covid, but the attitude in general. My first post ever on DDF was about pot being labeled a gateway drug. I believe that there is an inherent danger by lumping all drugs together, because when a person tries pot and it doesn't kill them or turn them into the caricature of a drug addict that was painted for them by the authority figures, they automatically downgrade the danger of all the other drugs that were associated with pot when they were being lectured about drugs. I feel that a similar attitude is emerging around Covid. In the beginning, due to a lack of knowledge, there was a certain amount of fear-mongering used in an effort to get everyone to take it seriously. The drawback is that now people are seeing they can survive this, and they don't care to get it. The fallacy with this thinking is that just because you crossed the street on a red once and didn't get hit by a car, doesn't mean you're Superman. Just because you tried heroin once and didn't overdose or get addicted, doesn't make heroin safe. And just because you survived a Covid infection once, doesn't mean your body will react the same way to subsequent infections.

To @ExGingi's point, that life is about risk assessment and finding a way to live with it, that's very fair. Not everyone should be holed up in their homes. But all risks are not equal. Precautions regarding Covid are not just about your personal risk, but the risk you present to the general public by walking around with a contagious infection. This is not deciding whether or not to wear a seatbelt. This is smoking in an indoor public room. You are free to risk your life by smoking. You are not free to expose everyone else in the room to your second-hand smoke.