1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 580471 times)

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #3620 on: November 12, 2020, 07:50:13 PM »
Where is our president when Americans are dropping like flies? We are going to end up with over 500k dead...

500k by when?  Even if G-d forbid there are 1k dead daily between now and when Biden takes office in less than 70 days, you don't get to 500k. Unless you're gonna say that everyone that dies from Covid until eternity is on Trump  ::).

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: November 12, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
Trying to mitigate spread is a state issue. The federal government pumped money into an unprecedented vaccine acceleration program, which appears to be bearing fruit. What do you expect POTUS to be doing at this point that you're dissatisfied with or think someone else would be doing better?

You're asking me? If yes, you're asking the wrong person. I totally agree with you.

I am mostly not dissatisfied with anything nor would I think someone else would have known to do anything better or different because this whole thing was so new and unknown. The vaccine acceleration is great provided it still remains 100% safe to take.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3622 on: November 12, 2020, 08:00:14 PM »
500k by when?  Even if G-d forbid there are 1k dead daily between now and when Biden takes office in less than 70 days, you don't get to 500k. Unless you're gonna say that everyone that dies from Covid until eternity is on Trump  ::).
1k dead per day? We are almost at 2k dead per day and climbing. 140k cases a day projected to be 300k/day by 12/31.
Where is Trump? Not only did he waive the white flag but now he deserted us. I guess that is expected from a draft dodging coward!!!
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3623 on: November 12, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
I highly doubt anyone who said that, including myself, was saying it seriously. At least I know for myself I was being totally sarcastic because the that's what the liberals made it sound like - get Trump out of office (since he's completely manhandling the virus response), elect Biden, and poof COVID is gone.

Anyone with any bit of common sense would see and know that the virus is real and there is no way that would have happened. It was a progression for the virus to spread around the world (didn't happen from one day to the next) and it will be a progression to hopefully get rid of it.

Unfortunately, some people are completely convinced that Covid is D construct to scare and control the people. I know such people very personally. As you say, "anyone with common sense." Sense isn't as common as the phrase makes it seem.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3624 on: November 12, 2020, 08:12:13 PM »
We’re averaging more than 1K deaths a day for some time now and climbing. New cases are skyrocketing now and we should all know at this point that deaths lag by a few weeks.. last few days have been around 1,500 deaths a day. Looks like we’re headed fast to a worse place than we were at in late spring (as was predicted by health experts).
I highly doubt anyone who said that, including myself, was saying it seriously. At least I know for myself I was being totally sarcastic because the that's what the liberals made it sound like - get Trump out of office (since he's completely manhandling the virus response), elect Biden, and poof COVID is gone.

Anyone with any bit of common sense would see and know that the virus is real and there is no way that would have happened. It was a progression for the virus to spread around the world (didn't happen from one day to the next) and it will be a progression to hopefully get rid of it.
Most of those who were stating that opinion here were trying to insinuate that it’s a Democratic political plot that won’t be necessary once the elections are over.

I’m glad you have more sense than that, but unfortunately not everybody does.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: November 12, 2020, 08:15:15 PM »
1k dead per day? We are almost at 2k dead per day and climbing. 140k cases a day projected to be 300k/day by 12/31.
Where is Trump? Not only did he waive the white flag but now he deserted us. I guess that is expected from a draft dodging coward!!!

Where are you getting your numbers from? I don't see almost 2k. Yesterday was under 1500. Today hasn't reached 1200 yet. I don't call that almost 2k. I sincerely hope we see the number of deaths going down since treatments have become much better and more effective. I also hope those most at risk from dying will take necessary precautions and those around them will take precautions as well. This will hopefully help mitigate deaths.

Just to put this in perspective, the highest number of deaths thus far occurred on April 21 with virus case counts being UNDER 30k daily in the surrounding days - there were over 2700 deaths that day with unfortunate similar numbers for a number of days surrounding until it finally started to decline.

Right now there are almost 5 times the number of cases daily and the deaths are about half of that. Needless to say yet again, 1 death is too many, but it says a lot about the progression we've made in treatments as well as perhaps the virus not being as aggressive now?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3626 on: November 12, 2020, 08:15:19 PM »

7 day avg is between 1100-1200 depending on today's final numbers. It is increasing steadily, and deaths lag 3-4 weeks behind cases. We'll probably hit 350k by Jan 1, and 500k sometime before Valentine's Day. I don't think we'll see 300k cases/day, though. I think we top out at around 250k for a couple of weeks in the beginning/mid Dec, with numbers starting to come down before the 25th.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: November 12, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »
We’re averaging more than 1K deaths a day for some time now and climbing. New cases are skyrocketing now and we should all know at this point that deaths lag by a few weeks.. last few days have been around 1,500 deaths a day. Looks like we’re headed fast to a worse place than we were at in late spring (as was predicted by health experts).
This can't be. It must be testing.
This can't be as we are rounding the corner.
This can't be as it will end 11/4.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: November 12, 2020, 08:16:59 PM »
7 day avg is between 1100-1200 depending on today's final numbers. It is increasing steadily, and deaths lag 3-4 weeks behind cases. We'll probably hit 350k by Jan 1, and 500k sometime before Valentine's Day. I don't think we'll see 300k cases/day, though. I think we top out at around 250k for a couple of weeks in the beginning/mid Dec, with numbers starting to come down before the 25th.
Thanks, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside as Trump is MIA.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: November 12, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
Just to put this in perspective, the highest number of deaths thus far occurred on April 21 with virus case counts being UNDER 30k daily in the surrounding days - there were over 2700 deaths that day with unfortunate similar numbers for a number of days surrounding until it finally started to decline.

Don't look at April confirmed cases. They are worth nothing. There was minimal testing, and the testing we did wasn't close to accurate (IIRC between 50-70% accuracy). With the amount of cases we are seeing now, even with better testing, we're running real risks of overloading our hospital systems in many places.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: November 12, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »
Thanks, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside as Trump is MIA.  >:( >:( >:(

Forget Trump. He's the deadbeat dad who ain't coming back. Saddle up and move on.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: November 12, 2020, 08:21:27 PM »
Forget Trump. He's the deadbeat dad who ain't coming back. Saddle up and move on.
We can't. We are stuck with him for two more months of doing nothing.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: November 12, 2020, 08:22:06 PM »
We can't. We are stuck with him for two more months of doing nothing.

Honestly, there's nothing he can really do at this point. The damage is done.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: November 12, 2020, 08:23:48 PM »
Honestly, there's nothing he can really do at this point. The damage is done.
There is a ton he could do to get these ignorant kool-aid drinkers to follow basic common sense.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: November 12, 2020, 08:24:17 PM »
There is a ton he could do to get these ignorant kool-aid drinkers to follow basic common sense.

Like what?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: November 12, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »
Like what?
Wear masks, SD, stay away from big crowds and the list goes on.

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3636 on: November 12, 2020, 08:36:00 PM »

Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: November 12, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »
How are all of the “It’s all political, COVID won’t exist after the election” peeps enjoying “Lockdown Thursday”?

Friday, March 13, 2020 - lockdowns, round one.
Friday, November 13, 2020 - lockdowns, round two.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: November 12, 2020, 09:02:29 PM »
We'll probably hit 350k by Jan 1, and 500k sometime before Valentine's Day.

I very honestly and sincerely hope this does not come true  :'(.

Don't look at April confirmed cases. They are worth nothing. There was minimal testing, and the testing we did wasn't close to accurate (IIRC between 50-70% accuracy).

Granted but even if the number of cases were similar to now (which there is no way of really knowing) the deaths were still way more then. 

Where can we see current hospitalizations rates (not finding accurate numbers via Google for all of USA)? I also don't think its currently close to the rate back then. Perhaps that would be a better comparison.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: November 12, 2020, 09:06:08 PM »
Where can we see current hospitalizations rates (not finding accurate numbers via Google for all of USA)? I also don't think its currently close to the rate back then. Perhaps that would be a better comparison.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-currently-hospitalized

ETA: that light blue spike at the far right of the graph days we're in serious trouble. Hospitalizations lag behind cases, and cases keep climbing, so that darker blue line will keep going up for a bit.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:11:53 PM by Lurker »