1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 590876 times)

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #3740 on: December 08, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
this is VILE!

You're right. I'm sorry. It's a shame I don't have the option anymore to edit my post. I meant that I'm sure he's not waiting for the numbers to go up (and should have omitted the end of that sentence).

I should have rewritten what I had previously said - that I'M not waiting to see the numbers go up [so anyone should be able to tell me I told you so as that would obviously be horrific].
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:44:04 PM by iluv2travel »

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: December 08, 2020, 09:32:10 PM »
How is the way now compares to then in any way relevant to what he wrote?

I have no idea. I said I don't understand what we're arguing about when he quoted me saying that that death level in our community now doesn't compare to death level then.

I'm honestly not interested in arguing about something that I don't understand what the argument is about. Nor am I interested in arguing about death levels because we all wish there weren't any.

It is my fervent wish and hope that we should get to end of this long dark tunnel very very soon.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3743 on: December 08, 2020, 10:08:47 PM »
You left out the next sentence. And I'm not sure what exactly we're arguing about.

I am of course horrified by the sky rocketing cases and deaths across the USA.  Its obvious that this has gone completely out of control IMO.

However, its still true that within our community the level of deaths is absolutely not the same as it was back then. The Misaskim pages in the Hamodia and their website by far doesn't look like what we saw straight after Pesach. And I hope you're not waiting for it to be so you can tell me I told you so. Hashem should watch over everyone and give them seichel to behave properly in the current situation.
Again, this is a straw man. What does Pesach have to do with how bad the current situation is? Let me give you another example: “It’s not as bad as the Holocaust, where 6 million people died, so therefore xyz.” Obviously nonsensical. The Holocaust was horrible, and other bad things exist as well.

What happened in the past is irrelevant. That’s a straw man, and had nothing to do with my point. What I had said was that there are people in our communities dying *currently*. That is bad. Nothing to do with Pesach, the rest of the world, or the Holocaust for that matter.

Do you understand why your next sentence was irrelevant to my point, and your point was a straw man?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: December 08, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »
It’s time for a targeted national lockdown.
An oxymoronic statement.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3745 on: December 08, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »
You're right. I'm sorry. It's a shame I don't the option anymore to edit my post. I meant that I'm sure he's not waiting for the numbers to go up (and should have omitted the end of that sentence).
You’re generally pretty civil and I of course accept your apology but you did insinuate this specific sentiment in the past so I’m not quite sure I fully believe you.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3746 on: December 08, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »
An oxymoronic statement.
Not really. Only if nuance is unavailable.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: December 08, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
Again, this is a straw man. What does Pesach have to do with how bad the current situation is? Let me give you another example: “It’s not as bad as the Holocaust, where 6 million people died, so therefore xyz.” Obviously nonsensical. The Holocaust was horrible, and other bad things exist as well.

What happened in the past is irrelevant. That’s a straw man, and had nothing to do with my point. What I had said was that there are people in our communities dying *currently*. That is bad. Nothing to do with Pesach, the rest of the world, or the Holocaust for that matter.

Do you understand why your next sentence was irrelevant to my point, and your point was a straw man?

I'm sorry but my answer to both would be no.

I've said it many times and will say it again, even one death is too many.  No need to invoke the Holocaust. I'm in full agreement that this virus is beyond the worst nightmare.

That statement was made in reference to the argument that people are still believing this is a hoax. And we both agree its crazy for anyone to believe that. And that's regardless if there are chas v'sholom hundreds of deaths or tens of deaths.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: December 08, 2020, 10:21:07 PM »
You’re generally pretty civil and I of course accept your apology but you did insinuate this specific sentiment in the past so I’m not quite sure I fully believe you.

I'm not sure where I insinuated that sentiment in the past but if I did I genuinely regret it as its very disrespectful of me to have done so.

I hope you can believe me now 🙂.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3749 on: December 08, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »
That statement was made in reference to the argument that people are still believing this is a hoax.
Correct, so what does how this situation compares to Pesach have anything to do with that? The situation Pesach is irrelevant. Only the situation now matters.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3750 on: December 08, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »
Correct, so what does how this situation compares to Pesach have anything to do with that? The situation Pesach is irrelevant. Only the situation now matters.

In both situations its beyond stupid to think it's a hoax.

I guess there was some sidetracking on my part when responding specifically to the part of who makes the front cover of the news which  to me made it sound like there's a skyrocketing death rate. So I was just pointing out that there isn't. Perhaps I misinterpreted and it shouldn't have sounded that way to me but at that point it somehow did.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3751 on: December 08, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »
In both situations its beyond stupid to think it's a hoax.
Correct, it’s beyond stupid. Yet I had a guy yell at me today for believing in the “Chinese Fungus” (his words) when I apologized for not meeting him in person due to my exposure.

Again, my only point was that this

Are the deaths in our community at the same level they were last spring? Not at all. Yes, people are still unfortunately dying but its still not the same as it was then.

Was in no way relevant to this
The Yated has to make a tough decision each week: Which Gadol who passed away from COVID this week makes the front page? COVID is ripping through our community again. Many still believe it’s a hoax. I know, I don’t get it either.
But rather a straw man.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: December 08, 2020, 11:03:10 PM »
Correct, it’s beyond stupid. Yet I had a guy yell at me today for believing in the “Chinese Fungus” (his words) when I apologized for not meeting him in person due to my exposure.

Seriously?? LOL😂 (at the Chinese Fungus part)

Again, my only point was that this

Was in no way relevant to this

But rather a straw man.

Yes, I got your point that in the context of the hoax business its not relevant. But as I explained that's not why I wrote it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: December 11, 2020, 12:15:37 AM »
“Hunan wet market linked to 70 million cases worldwide”
And the bat, the dear bat

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3756 on: December 12, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
We should force the people who produce, and those who publish, such outlandish predictions to take bets on their numbers. If I offered the author of the article 100K bet on the number (224K additional deaths by Jan 1) - at 2 to 1 odds - is there a chance in the world he takes the bet?
Now more than halfway there with 18 days left and 3,000 deaths a day.. not too far off, was he?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: December 12, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1337933011497586689?s=21

I can't find the post where somebody argued young people should be getting vaccinated before the elderly, but this data would support that approach

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: December 12, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1337933011497586689?s=21

I can't find the post where somebody argued young people should be getting vaccinated before the elderly, but this data would support that approach
@Lurker

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: December 13, 2020, 03:24:45 AM »
We should nominate a few DDFers for president.