1.3 Acres - Great US/Canada dashboard
Worldometers - Includes demographics data and much more
John Hopkins
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Live updates:
BNO Twitter
NY Times
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus?mod=theme_coronavirus-ribbon
Reddit boards- Coronavirus, China_Flu, Wuhan_Flu (more rumors/unverified content allowed)

Educational Articles:
WSJ - What we know about the Coronavirus
Infographics from SCMP (out of date, a lot still relevant)

Relief Roundup:
Chai+1
« Last edited by Joel on July 19, 2021, 01:49:19 AM »

Author Topic: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread  (Read 599911 times)

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 (Wuhan Novel Coronavirus) Pandemic Master Thread
« Reply #4220 on: April 29, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »
You’re against getting vaccinated yourself and are spending time on an online forum defending, nay promoting, your position against the vaccine. Sorry mate, you’re textbook definition for anti-vaxxer, no matter how you choose to spell it.
My wife and I are vaccinated:)

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: April 29, 2021, 12:53:39 PM »
A distinction needs to be made between someone who is anti-vax as a general rule, and those who want to push off getting the Covid vaccine (for whatever reason).
Another distinction needs to be made between people who say no one (including people who are 80+) should get the COVID vaccine and people who feel it's worth weighing the risks.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4222 on: April 29, 2021, 01:03:18 PM »
Another distinction needs to be made between people who say no one (including people who are 80+) should get the COVID vaccine and people who feel it's worth weighing the risks.

Nuance is always key, and there can be multiple distinctions made. Personally, I don't understand anyone who says the young and healthy shouldn't get vaccinated. Qualify that with a "right now" and my stance softens considerably. Waiting a (relatively) short period of time, if your lifestyle puts you at low risk to get infected and infect others , I can understand. Relying on recent infection and high antibodies count I can also get behind. The unqualified "don't get vaccinated if you're young and healthy" bothers me.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: April 29, 2021, 01:05:13 PM »
Nuance is always key, and there can be multiple distinctions made. Personally, I don't understand anyone who says the young and healthy shouldn't get vaccinated. Qualify that with a "right now" and my stance softens considerably. Waiting a (relatively) short period of time, if your lifestyle puts you at low risk to get infected and infect others , I can understand. Relying on recent infection and high antibodies count I can also get behind. The unqualified "don't get vaccinated if you're young and healthy" bothers me.
I think the overwhelming majority of people (who are not anti-vax) saying not to get vaccinated mean don't get vaccinated yet. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4224 on: April 29, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »
I think the overwhelming majority of people (who are not anti-vax) saying not to get vaccinated mean don't get vaccinated yet. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.

I think it needs to be qualified with specific reasoning and not generalized.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: April 29, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
I think it needs to be qualified with specific reasoning and not generalized.
The basic idea I usually hear is something along the lines of "it's too new"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:02 PM »
The basic idea I usually hear is something along the lines of "it's too new"

Me, too, and that's not good enough for me. Short term risks are much higher for those who get Covid than for those who get the vaccine. Long term risks are equally unknown. If there's a mitigating factor, such as low risk of getting Covid in the short term, that changes things for me.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: April 29, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
Me, too, and that's not good enough for me. Short term risks are much higher for those who get Covid than for those who get the vaccine. Long term risks are equally unknown. If there's a mitigating factor, such as low risk of getting Covid in the short term, that changes things for me.
Are you personally still waiting for 2.0?

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: April 29, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
Shev v'al taaseh. Not everything is about weighing the risks as we see them today equally.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: April 29, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »
Are you personally still waiting for 2.0?

Yes, unless 12+ gets approved first.

ETA: there's also a time limit for how long I'm willing to wait. Extenuating circumstances will raise my risk at a specific time, and then it's not worth waiting anymore.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:29:33 PM by Lurker »

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: April 29, 2021, 02:50:19 PM »
Shev v'al taaseh. Not everything is about weighing the risks as we see them today equally.
Except that it's not Shev V'Al Taaseh. You can pretty much expect to get Covid if you live in a place like Lakewood if you're not getting the vaccine.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: April 29, 2021, 02:53:35 PM »
Except that it's not Shev V'Al Taaseh. You can pretty much expect to get Covid if you live in a place like Lakewood if you're not getting the vaccine.
By what definition is this not shev v'al taaseh?

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: April 29, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
???
In some ways the opposite is true. Someone in an out of town location who wasn’t exposed is certainly at risk. In Lakewood many if not most young people were heavily exposed. My nephew was exposed in just about every way possible. Chavrusahs, roommates, most of his yeshiva, and consistently tests negative for covid and for antibodies. He has no expectation of contracting covid at this point and I’m inclined to agree that it’s unlikely. I’m sure that among the young people who haven’t yet gotten Covid in Lakewood there are plenty of others like him.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: April 29, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »
???
In some ways the opposite is true. Someone in an out of town location who wasn’t exposed is certainly at risk. In Lakewood many if not most young people were heavily exposed. My nephew was exposed in just about every way possible. Chavrusahs, roommates, most of his yeshiva, and consistently tests negative for covid and for antibodies. He has no expectation of contracting covid at this point and I’m inclined to agree that it’s unlikely. I’m sure that among the young people who haven’t yet gotten Covid in Lakewood there are plenty of others like him.

Are we still equating exposure to immunity?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: April 29, 2021, 03:08:58 PM »
???
Would you let your son take a trip to India today?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: April 29, 2021, 03:59:15 PM »
Are you joking?

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4236 on: April 29, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »
So shev v’al tasseh would include being careful to avoid crowds etc.. otherwise you’re actively endangering yourself
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4237 on: April 29, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
???
You just don’t get it. There is zero correlation between previous exposure and current susceptibility. If you took someone who was “exposed” previously and someone who wasn’t and put them in a room with a COVID+ patient they have equal chances of contracting infection. You are quoting an outdated and debunked theory. I can think of quite a few posters in this thread alone who contracted COVID after months of “exposure” without infection.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: April 29, 2021, 05:06:34 PM »
So shev v’al tasseh would include being careful to avoid crowds etc.. otherwise you’re actively endangering yourself
That's not shev v'al taaseh. Feel free to disagree with me, but don't twist the definition.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: April 29, 2021, 05:23:25 PM »
You just don’t get it. There is zero correlation between previous exposure and current susceptibility. If you took someone who was “exposed” previously and someone who wasn’t and put them in a room with a COVID+ patient they have equal chances of contracting infection. You are quoting an outdated and debunked theory. I can think of quite a few posters in this thread alone who contracted COVID after months of “exposure” without infection.
The idea that a segment of the population has natural immunity to Covid-19 (from previous childhood coronaviruses or other phenomenon) has been debunked? Can you cite a study to that effect?