Author Topic: Alert: my LOR’s gmail has been impersonated — beware of scammers  (Read 850 times)

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
From my LOR, with his and our shul’s identifying information redacted.   What a chillul haShem.

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:52 AM
Subject: [kahal] Alert: A scammer is impersonating me (LOR) using a fake gmail to scam people out of money
To: Synagogue-News Yahoo Group (External) <synagogue-news@yahoogroups.com>, Synagogue-Kahal Yahoo Group (External) <synagogue-kahal@yahoogroups.com>

Chevre,

I have received numerous emails from congregants and friends this morning alerting me to the fact that someone is impersonating me to scam others out of money. They have created a phoney email address (my LOR’s Gmail, with one i changed to an l).

Please do not respond. Delete and ignore!

I will never ask you to purchase gift cards or for a donation that does not go through the shul accounting office.

I have reported this to the FBI internet crime division.

Alas, Google says: “Unfortunately, Gmail is unable to participate in mediations involving third parties regarding impersonation. Learn more about Gmail Terms of Use.” See “If you believe that someone is impersonating you, using a Gmail address, read https://support.google.com/mail/answer/190735?hl=en

Thanks, LOR

>>

Glad to hear from you,

I am in a meeting when I sent the email and that's why i'm contacting you through here..I should have called instead of mailing you back but phones are not allowed to be used during meeting,..and I still can't answer calls now..

I just need to get eBay gift card for some women going through cancer at the hospital but i haven’t been able to do that because of my busy schedule.

Can you get it from any store around you possibly now? and I will pay you back later in cash or check. Let me know if you can get the cards for these patients.

Shalom

Hi How are you Doing

I Need An Assistance From You

Email Me As Soon You Get this massage

Shalom Aleichem

Rabbi (LOR)

“Teach me the whole of Torah while standing on one foot.” (TB Shabbat 31a)

A student of Aggadah came before the Holy One who said to him: “My child, why haven’t you learned Talmud? For, ‘All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full’ (Kohelet 1:7) – this refers to [the sea of] the Talmud in which can be found many wisdoms. (Midrash Mishlei 10)