Author Topic: computer games  (Read 20374 times)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Re: computer games
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
The current free EGS game:

Frostpunk is a city-building survival videogame developed and published by 11 bit studios. Players take on the role of a leader in an alternate-history late 19th century, in which they must build and maintain a city during a worldwide volcanic winter, managing resources, making choices on how to survive, and exploring the area outside their city for survivors, resources, or other useful items.

Frostpunk received "generally favorable reviews", according to review aggregator Metacritic.

(Rated M for Mature. Blood, Mild S----l Themes, Mild Violence, and Strong Language.)
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline M218

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2021, 11:31:18 PM »
As a kid I used to play Drivers Education very cool vehicle stimulator, When I turned 18 I passed the road test with flying colors

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2021, 10:23:59 AM »
As a kid I used to play Drivers Education very cool vehicle stimulator, When I turned 18 I passed the road test with flying colors
As a kid I used to play Driver

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »
You're younger than I'd assumed, then.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2021, 10:09:07 PM »
["-"]

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2021, 10:22:30 PM »
You're younger than I'd assumed, then.
The PC version of the game - which is the one I played - came out in the late 90s. I may have a loose definition of "kid" though.

BTW, my age was discussed here

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2021, 05:41:31 PM »
Currently free:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/sonic-mania
A Sonic the Hedgehog 2D platformer.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/horizon-chase-turbo
A retro-inspired driving game.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
Currently free: The Spectrum Retreat, a puzzle game developed by Dan Smith when he was aged 15-19 or so.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2021, 02:17:07 PM »
Free until sometime tomorrow are Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead (assembly puzzles
with zombies?) and Ironcast (a match-3-based kinda-RPG about steampunk robot warfare).

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2021, 01:51:51 AM »
Currently free on the Epic Games Store is Offworld Trading Company, which has been described as "economic real-time strategy" and gotten good reviews.

And now it's free again until sometime on the 22nd (I still haven't played it).
So is Obduction, a sci-fi follow-up to Myst, in which, according to Wikipedia,
"The player finds their character transported to strange alien worlds but with human elements
within the settings. The player must explore and solve puzzles to figure out how to return home."

To be offered July 22-29 are tower-defense game Defense Grid: The Awakening (2008) and multiplayer WWI shooter Verdun.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:58:33 AM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2021, 07:59:54 PM »
Free until the 5th: Train Sim World 2.
"The evolution of train simulation! Master iconic locomotives on high-speed services, long freight hauls or precise commuter
traffic, and get creative with customisation tools in this advanced sequel. Climb into the cab in Train Sim World 2."

(Also some kind of first-person shooter called Mothergunship which advertises the ability to build your own guns.)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2021, 09:54:47 PM »
Free until 11 AM on the 12th - Minit ("a peculiar little adventure played sixty seconds at a time") and A Plague Tale: Innocence (rated M for Mature).

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2021, 03:47:03 PM »
Free until 11 AM on the 2nd - Automachef, a "resource management puzzler" about designing and
programming automated restaurants. Read this first, though (and the comments underneath it).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:51:21 PM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2021, 06:59:41 AM »
while True: learn() is currently free on the EGS.
It's "a puzzle/simulation game about [...] machine learning, neural networks, big data and AI."

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »
I think a different free game will be available each day on the EGS for about the next 2 weeks.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:26 PM »
Free for the next week or so on EGS - Relicta, a first-person puzzle game about gravity and magnetism.
(Sounds comparable to the Portal series.)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2022, 03:39:30 PM »
Free on the EGS until Mar 10 (11:00 AM) are Black Widow: Recharged and Centipede: Recharged (updated
versions of classic arcade/arcade-style games). The following week, it'll be city simulator Cities: Skylines.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2022, 03:26:01 PM »
Free for the next week on the EGS is Demon's Tilt, an occult-themed pinball game with elements of other
genres (no, I don't know how any of it works). After that, it'll be the combination turn-based and real-time
strategy Total War: Warhammer (not calling it Total Warhammer might have been a missed opportunity).
According to one critic, "If you find real history a bit bland compared to glorious nonsense
made up by strange British people then Warhammer is the Total War for you."

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2022, 12:48:10 AM »
The EGS' free game of the week (starting tomorrow at 11 AM, I think)*
is the digital edition of popular board game Terraforming Mars.
With such considerations as a long physical play time and the burden of
rules teaching and enforcement out of the way, you might as well try it.
(I haven't played it, so I cannot offer an opinion on the game or this adaptation.)

*(If you see this before then, the current one's a sci-fi point-and-click-adventure.)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2022, 03:00:12 AM »
The current free EGS game is Supraland.

Supraland is a little bit Metroidvania and a little bit puzzle room, all in a charming little package—literally. But despite all taking place in a child's sandbox diorama, Supraland's open world is surprisingly sprawling, with each new ability added to your repertoire unfurling a whole new selection of nooks and crannies to explore. It's a delight at any price, particularly when that price is free.