Author Topic: Car Rental 02/10- 09/20 Ben Gurion avoiding hidden charges  (Read 3577 times)

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Car Rental 02/10- 09/20 Ben Gurion avoiding hidden charges
« on: February 02, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »
Pick-up
Monday, February 10, 2020 11:00 AM
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Monday, March 9, 2020 10:00 AM
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)

Hi, last time I rented at the airport with a reservation I got flim-flammed.  Wouldn't accept my credit card's insurance.  Got charged extra to have a second driver.  The charge, plus taxes, was nearly double.  How do I avoid getting rooked again? 

This is the deal priceline is offering me now through SIXT for an economy car at $258 for the duration of our stay. 250 free kilometers per day.  Additional charge for another driver undetermined.
  Pick-up
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Included with Your Rental
Airport Surcharge
Your rental includes 250 free kilometres per day. If you drive more than this, you'll pay between US$ 0.25 and US$ 0.55 (including tax) for each additional kilometre when you drop your car off.
Changing the length of your rental can affect how many kilometres you can drive for free. It can also affect how much you will pay for each additional kilometre.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Car Rental 02/10- 09/20 Ben Gurion avoiding hidden charges
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
1. Make sure your Credit Card covers CDW in Israel.
2. In Israel, if CDW is covered by CC you still need to purchase Third Party Liability insurance, which is often equal to or more than the daily rate for the car.
3. If you go through travel agents that specialize in Israeli car rentals, you might get an all inclusive package, however those often have a $500 deductible on the CDW. Ask for a package with no deductible on the CDW.
4. Get a letter from your CC that they cover CDW in Israel if you choose to rely on the CC coverage, make sure to follow their terms which usually require you to decline coverage by the car rental company, which means you can't rely on it if you get a package that has a $500 deductible, because you got CDW from the company, just had to deal with a high deductible.

I usually rent from Hertz via Aegeanair.com. I get a reasonable amount of A3 miles for the rental, get to pick up and drop off at terminal 3, not having to deal with shuttle busses. Rates are usually reasonable but I know in advance they don't include the Third Party Liability which runs about $10-$12 per day.

At least with Hertz, you can ask to get a credit for not using the car on Shabbos. That credit is usually minimal, because it's only the base rental, you still have to pay all the fees and insurance. Also you can only request that if it's not a prepaid rental.

For example, using your dates, a car in class L1 is $252 for the period with unlimited KM and no need to deal with Car Rental Shuttle busses, easily saving you 15 minutes or more on the return, to which you should add the Third Party Liability (and if you are an Israeli Citizen - VAT). Shabbos credit will probably end up being $10 or less if you get that. Prepaying for the reservation seems to save $20, so that might be a better deal.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:30:44 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 01:42:42 PM »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!  I would be renting through my Southwest Visa Premier Business Card which does have car insurance coverage, but from what I understand, I would require additional coverage as well?    Both my husband and myself are well beyond 25 and we would both want the ability to drive.  We have applicable Hertz Discounts through either AARP , AAA or ADA.  The reminder about the Hertz drop off is definitely a plus in their favor. Once again, thanks.
Pearl  AKA the Lone Arranger

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!  I would be renting through my Southwest Visa Premier Business Card which does have car insurance coverage, but from what I understand, I would require additional coverage as well?    Both my husband and myself are well beyond 25 and we would both want the ability to drive.  We have applicable Hertz Discounts through either AARP , AAA or ADA.  The reminder about the Hertz drop off is definitely a plus in their favor. Once again, thanks.
Pearl  AKA the Lone Arranger

Business cards often provide CDW coverage only for business rentals. Call your credit card in advance to make sure you're covered for your rental, and get a letter from them and forward it to Hertz after you make your reservation (I got an email from Hertz Israel right after making the reservation noting that I would need it, and made sure to obtain and email to them). You will need to pay for Mandatory Third Party Liability, which as I said before would be in the $10-$13 range for an L1 car class with Hertz (I've seen other agencies lowball on the base fee and charge $15 or more for the Third Party Liability).

If A3 miles are useful for you, then renting through their portal with their discount code is the only way to get A3 miles (I believe they credit more than other programs). I've found their discount to be on par with the AAA discount.
-- Dan

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 03:54:12 PM »
i rented budget in israel and returned a week ago. my credit card isnt showing any charges yet and even the hold that they put on it is not showing in my acct. anyone has experience with them. Ive been renting yearly for a long time and usually the charge is there within a day or two of the return. the hold also usually shows and reduces my available credit line

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 10:50:39 PM »
Business cards often provide CDW coverage only for business rentals. Call your credit card in advance to make sure you're covered for your rental, and get a letter from them and forward it to Hertz after you make your reservation (I got an email from Hertz Israel right after making the reservation noting that I would need it, and made sure to obtain and email to them). You will need to pay for Mandatory Third Party Liability, which as I said before would be in the $10-$13 range for an L1 car class with Hertz (I've seen other agencies lowball on the base fee and charge $15 or more for the Third Party Liability).
If A3 miles are useful for you, then renting through their portal with their discount code is the only way to get A3 miles (I believe they credit more than other programs). I've found their discount to be on par with the AAA discount.

Thank you, once again, the business card exclusion in particular, I would not have known at all!  I will check my other cards and see if they cover it.  Excellent advice here, as usual.

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 11:45:22 PM »
By the way, just got the documentation for the SW business card, it looks like this one does cover for personal use.
"While the cardholder is renting for business purposes, or while renting outside the cardholder’s domiciled country, or if the cardholder does not have automobile insurance, coverage is primary where available. While renting for personal reasons within the cardholder’s domiciled country, the coverage is on a “secondary” basis."

Online shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 12:27:20 AM »
You’re best off going with one of the heimshe agents other wise you’ll always end up paying more then quoted.
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 05:57:45 AM »
You’re best off going with one of the heimshe agents other wise you’ll always end up paying more then quoted.

Paying more than quoted ≠ paying more. Many travel agents will by default quote a rate that includes CDW and TPL but will often fail to mention the deductible on the CDW, if you ask for a price with $0 deductible it will usually end up being more than the price quoted on A3 website, relying on CC for CDW and paying for TPL.

According to Hertz Israel one cannot get Hertz #1 Gold service if booked through a travel agent (it still requires seeing a rental agent in the lot, but usually still faster than standing at the counter in the terminal).
-- Dan

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Car Rental 02/10- 03/09 2020
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »
Could you message me with a contact?  The prices that I am being quoted online are absurd and/or definitely not inclusive.  I would also like both my husband and myself to drive (we definitely meet the over 25 category, at least in years).  If it means a significant price difference, we would deal with the inconvenience of a shuttle at the airport)  So to recap: for the rental
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Prefer car that seats at least 5 (2 grandkids with carseats)
2 drivers,
Chase Visa either Amazon or Southwest.  I have proof of CDW insurance from both. 
Also a member of AAA, AARP, and ADA (American Dental Association, husband)
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 12:19:23 PM »
I've been renting for years with noach rent a car. They have the vest prices and even if you have to use the shuttle (when returning not when you arrive) its no big deal . Its only a fed minutes & its even less schlepping because the shuttle gets you to the curb so your right by the enterance to the airport .

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
I've been renting for years with noach rent a car. They have the vest prices and even if you have to use the shuttle (when returning not when you arrive) its no big deal . Its only a fed minutes & its even less schlepping because the shuttle gets you to the curb so your right by the enterance to the airport .

I've heard good things about Noach from others too. I personally prefer to not have to rely on the shuttle, so I only rent from Hertz (and previously Avis, when they had the exclusive on Terminal 3 car returns).
-- Dan

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Checking out Noach's pArks- which car holds 3 adults and 2 car seats?
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
Upon the advice here I'm trying Noach rentals, but they are giving me models instead of seating capacity.  Any clue as to which is the likely least expensive choice would hold 3 adults and two car seats?  There seems to be no designation of midsize, which is what I'm looking for. I will check out their list, car by car which is what I will do if I have to.  Are there car Maivens who can look at this list:
https://www.noachcar.co.il/form.html
and know what I should be looking for.  I am also checking out Hertz.
Thanks in advance,

Pearl, the lone arranger
Addendum:  Within five minutes, I received the following reply:  Your advice would be welcome.
Kia Picanto/Hyundai i10 automatic class is $17.5 per day & only $14 for Shabbat
Mazda2/Toyota Yaris/Ford Fiesta automatic class is $18 per day & only $14 for Shabbat

Accent i25/Citroen Elysee automatic class is $22 per day & only $14 for Shabbat
Mazda3/Toyota Corolla 1.6 automatic class is $24 per day & only $16 for Shabbat

Seat Leon/Kia Ceed Station Wagon 1.6 automatic class is $31.5 per day & only $12 for Shabbat

VW Jetta/Honda Civic automatic class is $35.5 per day & only $15 for Shabbat

Mazda6/ Hyundai Tucson SUV /Ford Mondeo automatic class is $35 per day & only $18 for Shabbat

Kia Sportage/Hyundai Tucson SUV automatic class is $49 per day & only $15 for Shabbat

Rates are total and include the Liability 3rd party insurance that is a must and unlimited km

This is with your credit card that covers the collision insurance (like Chase Sapphire card or Amex).
Airport service fee is $39.5/$42 one time per rental on top of the above.

2nd driver is free for some classes and $42 add for others

*The rates above are based on booking the car today. Payment is only at pickup time.

Prices may change as it's based on availability, we'll do our best to get you the best deal.

Waiting to hear back from you on which class we should reserve.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:42:38 PM by crunch »

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 09:36:37 PM »
Upon the advice here I'm trying Noach rentals, but they are giving me models instead of seating capacity.  Any clue as to which is the likely least expensive choice would hold 3 adults and two car seats?  There seems to be no designation of midsize, which is what I'm looking for. I will check out their list, car by car which is what I will do if I have to.  Are there car Maivens who can look at this list:
https://www.noachcar.co.il/form.html
and know what I should be looking for.  I am also checking out Hertz.
Thanks in advance,
Pearl, the lone arranger
Did you ask specifically about seating capacity?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:26 PM »
Yes, I did in the notes section of the online form.  I received the reply above.  However, I have learned the meaning of "assume" the hard way.

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Car Rental 02/10- 03/09 any recommendations for a deal with Hertz?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:19 PM »
Sorry to "Hock you all a Tchainik" but it looks like the cheapest I can get through Noach, for a 28 day rental including all discounts, with two drivers is about $572 total for a Mazda2/Toyota Yaris which seems to be a small 5 passenger vehicle.  I would prefer Hertz if it were equal or better?  Any avenues for a Hertz deal?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »
Sorry to "Hock you all a Tchainik" but it looks like the cheapest I can get through Noach, for a 28 day rental including all discounts, with two drivers is about $572 total for a Mazda2/Toyota Yaris which seems to be a small 5 passenger vehicle.  I would prefer Hertz if it were equal or better?  Any avenues for a Hertz deal?
Toyota Yaris wouldn't be considered a 5 passenger vehicle in the US. I don't know what Hertz charges for a second driver, but nothing stops you from making a reservation and then emailing them with the question.

As for saving $ with Hertz, I think there's a market (possibly on DDF) for Hertz certificates/vouchers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:28:51 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
Pick-up
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)

Hi, last time I rented at the airport with a reservation I got flim-flammed.  Wouldn't accept my credit card's insurance.  Got charged extra to have a second driver.  The charge, plus taxes, was nearly double.  How do I avoid getting rooked again? 

This is the deal priceline is offering me now through SIXT for an economy car at $258 for the duration of our stay. 250 free kilometers per day.  Additional charge for another driver undetermined.
  Pick-up
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Airport Surcharge
Your rental includes 250 free kilometres per day. If you drive more than this, you'll pay between US$ 0.25 and US$ 0.55 (including tax) for each additional kilometre when you drop your car off.
Changing the length of your rental can affect how many kilometres you can drive for free. It can also affect how much you will pay for each additional kilometre.

Why don't you post here?
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1211.0

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 10:53:22 PM »
I don't know what Hertz charges for a second driver,

Most Heimiesh agents get that waived + cheaper underage then online

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 10:55:01 PM »
Most Heimiesh agents get that waived + cheaper underage then online
Great. So why doesn’t OP contact @chff for a price quote with Hertz?
-- Dan