Author Topic: Car Rental 02/10- 09/20 Ben Gurion avoiding hidden charges  (Read 3630 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Car Rental 02/10- 09/20 Ben Gurion avoiding hidden charges
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 11:19:44 PM »
For Hertz, you can see vehicle details here: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/vehicleguide/index.jsp?targetPage=vehicleGuideHomeView.jsp&countryCode=IL&category=Car/Sedan

I am sure other companies have similar pages.

Don't overlook the need for luggage space from and to the airport.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 12:30:23 AM »
Could you message me with a contact?  The prices that I am being quoted online are absurd and/or definitely not inclusive.  I would also like both my husband and myself to drive (we definitely meet the over 25 category, at least in years).  If it means a significant price difference, we would deal with the inconvenience of a shuttle at the airport)  So to recap: for the rental
Monday, February 10, 2020 11:00 AM
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Monday, March 9, 2020 10:00 AM
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Included with Your Rental
Prefer car that seats at least 5 (2 grandkids with carseats)
2 drivers,
Chase Visa either Amazon or Southwest.  I have proof of CDW insurance from both. 
Also a member of AAA, AARP, and ADA (American Dental Association, husband)
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Tell noach what your looking for regarding capacity.
You can call them and speak to a live person.
You also shouldnt necessarily go with the smallest car even if its a few dollars cheaper. The smaller engines are not good when you are driving uphill. They use more gas because they are weak. The cost of gas will cost you more then what you saved on the rental . (Gas in Israel is very expensive)
S Toyota corolla (or any car in that class )should work well for you. You also can request specifically for a corolla .although its not guarenteed there is a good chance you will get it. They ate goof on gas and many of them have backup camera which is very helpful for parking there (if your lucky enough to even find parking)
BTW you will need to download pongo or cellopark for parking.
Personally I would recommend that you not drive in yerushalayim. The congestion is terrible & you'll save a lot of time by using busses / taxies

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Heimishe Car Rental Jedi? Chff?
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 11:44:28 AM »
 Chff, if you are still following this thread, are you a Heimishe car Jedi?  If so, can you use your awesome powers to get me a great quote from Hertz or Budget? I am still learning that there are many resources on this forum that I don't know about.  Thank you for taking the time and trouble to locate a car rundown for me, ExGingi.  I really appreciate what you, Ygift and Chff have done to provide help in an area where I am totally clueless.  To recap:
Monday, February 10, 2020 11:00 AM
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Drop-off
Monday, March 9, 2020 10:00 AM
Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
Included with Your Rental
Prefer car that seats at least 5 (2 grandkids with carseats) (and maybe some luggage?)
2 drivers, shomrei shabbos
Chase Visa either Amazon or Southwest.  I have proof of CDW insurance from both.
Also a member of AAA, AARP, and ADA (American Dental Association retiree, husband)
Thank you once more for your assistance and for what all of you have done so far.  I would still be wandering the car rental desert.
Pearl

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 11:51:05 AM »
Crunch You're wasting your time. Just call Noah. Or for that matter any of the Agents, however, Noah will be cheaper. An order what you need and you'll be fine. You'll be happy. Stop wasting so much time.
As a side note from all the back and forth here It seems like This is your first time of renting and driving in Israel. If you don't know what the driving is like over there. You might want to speak to people that have that experience. You might be much better off forgetting about your own run boat and using buses and taxis. You should also know that even if you use Waze. You could end up in areas where you do not want to be. You really need to know. Your way around before you start driving.

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »
I accept your wisdom on this and have bowed to the inevitable. Bit the bullet and "mohtza boe Mai'Noach." $722 is the quote for a corolla. Being newly retired is something of a tightrope, knowing that what you shell out cannot be replaced. I Have driven in Israel before and nearly ended up in Ramallah using Waze.  I will, G-d willing, have my daughter with me as a guide for the most part. Parking in Jerusalem is a royal pain, but I have a friend who may allow me to use her spot since she will be in the states at the time.
Kol Tuv.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
Crunch You're wasting your time. Just call Noah. Or for that matter any of the Agents, however, Noah will be cheaper. An order what you need and you'll be fine. You'll be happy. Stop wasting so much time.

Using a good agent is extremely valuable. I haven't used Noah but heard good experiences from others.

As a side note from all the back and forth here It seems like This is your first time of renting and driving in Israel. If you don't know what the driving is like over there. You might want to speak to people that have that experience. You might be much better off forgetting about your own run boat and using buses and taxis. You should also know that even if you use Waze. You could end up in areas where you do not want to be. You really need to know. Your way around before you start driving.
As per OP, this is obviously NOT the first time @crunch is renting in Israel. That being said, even if one knew their way around, that doesn't mean that they still know their way around, and roads change there quite frequently. Also beware of car GPS (many cars rented in Israel have built in Waze), sometimes they freeze or crash and fail to update, and you might not notice and miss a turn. In certain areas Waze can definitely take you into areas you'd rather avoid.

You seem to be renting for quite a long time, I wouldn't give you any advice one way or the other as to renting a car vs taking other means of transportation, without knowing what your travel plans while staying there are like.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Mimo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National executive elite, Hertz pc
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:25 PM »
I can vouch for noach great service and in my case always came with a good price. I did once rent from shlomosixt and made the reservation online because i was qouted an excellent price which officially included insurance but when i got to the counter everything went downhill though price went uphill

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
Just wanted to thank all of you who replied to my request for advice.  We came back from Israel on Taanis Esther.   With the current situation, we were truly fortunate in our booking (of course  a Dan's Deal's tip).  I had thought I cancelled the trip through Priceline when I realized that our return date was a fast day.  Instead, I had cancelled another booking and by the time I found that out, the tickets would have been a total loss.  In retrospect, the siyata d'ishmaya was abundantly clear.   The return flight was booked solid and United offered us a premium for our seats (we declined).  The car rental through Noach went off without a hitch. We received an free upgrade to a larger Mazda which was great for the one squished between the grandkids' carseats.  In retrospect, it might have been worthwhile to choose Hertz as per ex-Gingi's recommendation, because of the in-airport return.  We took a Eurocar and arrived at the return in plenty of time.  However, since we were the only ones at the return counter, the driver wanted to wait until they had another customer to transport.  After about fifteen minutes, I asked the driver if I had time to repack our luggage in the back of his van, since I needed to shift some items.  He then decided to do us a favor and get us to the airport right away. Thanks to all of you who provided the information and advice that helped us make such good choices.   Wishing you all a chag kasher vesamayach with gezunt of guf and neshama in the company of family and friends.