Author Topic: Go Oahu Pass- Hakoras Hatov  (Read 942 times)

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Go Oahu Pass- Hakoras Hatov
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
Just wanted to thank you, Dan, and all of the contributors to the forum for making our 40th Anniversary Hawaii vacation the trip of a lifetime.  Your advice was extremely valuable.  We both got a four day GO oahu pass through Costco and it was worth it in that it provided something of a built-in itinerary as well as a discount.  Since you don't have to use the days consecutively, you can rest between days of packing in the sights.  We stayed on Oahu this time, but I think that we are hooked on Hawaii. Thanks again for opening the world to us.
Pearl

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Go Oahu Pass- Hakoras Hatov
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:38:01 PM »
Nice!
Which activities did you do?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline crunch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »
This began as a Dan's Deals trip, made possible by a Southwest companion pass acquired through a Dan's Deals tip.  We started with a full day bus tour making a circuit of the island (Go Oahu included).  Other than the obligatory stop for lunch at a roadside stop and souvenir shop(so the driver could make some kickback bucks) it was a good way to orient ourselves and figure out our tour priorities.  Due to a traffic jam, we got shorted time on the Dole Plantation.  Makani Catamaran was a fantastic experience.  Part of the Go Oahu pass, (normal charge was $85) was a sail off a Waikiki on a glorious sunny day.  It is whale-watching season, and we saw four whales and calves.  To our captain's surprise, we found ourselves surrounded by a pod of dolphins. He said that this was a rare experience so close in.   It was so absolutely amazing, that we chose to take another Catamaran ride on the other side of the island at Kualoa ranch, which was nice, but lost much by comparison.  In retrospect, we should have chosen another Kualoa option on the Go Ohahu pass.  Because we were in a Waikiki lodging, to be within walking distance of Chabad for Shabbos meals (another Dan's Deals tip) parking a rental would have been about $30 a night.  We got weeklong Waikiki Trolley passes through Expedia (again, thank you Dan, for the 40% off deal on that)  When I researched, I found that most of the Go Oahu attractions were on their routes.  It was faster and cheaper than public transportation with guided tours along the way.  Another tourist mentioned that there are also Zip Car and other daily/hourly cheap rentals of the same type available which we would have used as needed.  The trolley took us to Diamond Head, up the scenic coast to SeaWorld (both Go Oahu included) Pearl Harbor (reserve Arizona Memorial tickets in advance online for $1 fee or you won't be able to visit the actual memorial site) including the aviation museum, the battleship Missouri and the Bowfin submarine, all with audio tours included under the GoOahu pass.  In retrospect, I would've started our day there earlier, because we missed the Bishop Museum and the Iolani palace (both Go Oahu included). We were going to do the Polynesian Cultural Center (Go Oahu included), but had our Shailos when we found it was LDS sponsored, a group that is actively missionary in nature. BTW, the GoOahu pass and the trolley pass do not have to be used in consecutive days, so you don't lose a day with Shabbos. All in all, it was an amazing experience and we hope to go again. Thanks Dan!

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:20:07 PM »
I'm glad you had a good trip, Crunch.

If anyone else is heading to Oahu, I'm selling two GoPasses for the price one (and also to many other cities). Please see my post in the items for sale thread.