Author Topic: Italy Trip Report June 2023 (Venice, Tuscany, Rome, Amalfi)  (Read 2790 times)

Offline moka509

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
On my way back now from an ~8.5 day Italy vacation. Was incredible! Below is my trip report. A few notes in advance:
•   This itinerary will not work for everyone as we all have different styles of travel. In particular, if you are the type who likes to spend their vacation relaxing or being pampered, this may not be for you. We like to see/do as much as possible, enjoy wondering/exploring, and enjoy doing things on our own.
•   The itinerary was not perfect and I tried to include notes throughout where in hindsight I may have done something differently.
•   Aside from a Gondola ride and tour of the Jewish ghetto in Rome, I literally did not use cash for anything. Used my Sapphire reserve card which has no foreign transaction fees. Got majorly ripped off changing money in Venice (tons of fees I didn’t realize about till they passed me my money at which point no returns) so be careful there, in Rome took money out of a Bank ATM so no additional fees there.
•   Any questions about hashgacha ask your LOR
•   We kept changing things around slightly because of the weather forecast, was a waste of time and caused us to have to spend more on certain things due to last minute bookings/cancellation. Ignore the forecasts! Rain was forecasted for almost our entire trip, and probably only had 2-3 showers the entire time. It was showing 100% chance of thunderstorms at times and there was nada.

Day 1:
Left from Newark Mon night arrived in Venice Tues morning. Took the Alilaguna water taxi from Venice airport to Venice proper (tickets bought at airport at kiosk) 35-40 minute boat ride to Venice. Got off at Guglie stop right near Gam Gam which was a few minutes down the road from our hotel, the Carnival Palace. We dropped off our luggage at the hotel, picked up lunch at the Jewish ghetto, and spent the day wondering the city by foot - Jewish ghetto, shops, winding alleyways, Rialto bridge, Grand Canal, Saint Marks square, etc.. Ate dinner at Gam Gam, watched sunset over the canal, and crashed for the night not having slept in around 48 hours!

*Notes - Hotel was a bit far from many of the famous attractions and required lots of walking to see things, but it was a really nice hotel and close to Jewish Ghetto and Gam Gam. If I was going back for a short time during the week I may look to stay somewhere more central. Would have used Rick Steves app for walking tour and info about St Marks square and other spots but forgot about it. We got better at remembering for the rest of our trip.

Day 2:
Checked out of hotel in the morning (we get earlyish starts most days, usually leaving around 9ish) left luggage at hotel to hold and did more wandering around Venice. Took early morning Gondola ride around Grand Canal and quiet residential neighborhoods which was beautiful and well worth the 80 euro fee! Explored new neighborhoods, more shops, stopped for lunch at Gam Gam goodies, and picked up some food from there and the other bakery to bring along to Tuscany. Then picked up luggage and took Alilaguna water taxi back to airport to pick up rental car (around 3pm). Drove from Venice airport through parts of Tuscany, 3.5 hours with some beautiful scenic views once in Tuscany. Stopped at Greve, drove through Panzano and Castellina in Chianti region for cute little towns and some nice views. Checked into Four Points by Sheraton in Siena (used Marriot points). 

*Notes - Recommend taking Gondola ride in early morning before 10 when canals are less crowded and it’s less sunny, we found one near Gam Gam and it was a great ride. Drive through Chianti region was a bit longer then if I had gone direct. Probably not worth the extra time because the views only get better from Sienna southward and there are more interesting cities in other parts of Tuscany. Driving was not a big deal in general, nothing different then in the US (we returned the car outside of Rome, that might have been a bit scarier).

Day 3:
We checked out of hotel and drove about 10 minutes to the old part of Siena where we parked outside city by stadium. Took walking tour of Siena with Rick Steves audio walking tour app, which was excellent! We then drove about 25 minutes to Terra Di Seta Winery where we took a tour of the vineyard’s and the winery, followed by a wine tasting, and then had lunch there – highly recommend!. From there we went directly to an Agriturismo we were staying in for the night near Montepulciano and spent the rest of the day exploring and relaxing at the pool. Views were beyond incredible.

*Notes - most of the medieval cities in Italy are ZTL zones which means there will be large fines if you drive in without a permit. You generally need to park outside the cities in lots and walk in, but they are usually not such far walks. Unfortunately we lost track of time during our Sienna tour and didn’t have time to visit the synagogue there. Try to leave extra time to see it.

Day 4:
Checked out of our Agriturismo and spent the first part of the day stopping at medieval towns on our way to Rome. First we explored Montepulciano, then S. Quirica d’ Orcia. We took a longer route from there to Rome which took us through the Tuscan hillsides (road SS2). Was a beautiful drive. We returned our car at Rome Ciampino airport and took a taxi from the airport into Rome. Settled in our Airbnb in the Jewish Ghetto, walked around to explore Jewish ghetto a bit before Shabbos, first of many slices of pizza at Bono, bought some groceries and got ready for Shabbos. Went to daven Fri night at Great Synagogue of Rome. No eruv in Rome, so need to send in passport info to synagogue before Shabbos. Was beautiful davening but the nusach is very different then ashkenaz or sefard. We went to Baghetto for Fri night meal (didn’t eat the meat dishes – there was plenty of food without it). Food was mostly just ok. It was a pretty quick meal. We then walked around a bit. Rome is beautiful at night.

*Notes- wish we had more time on way to Rome to explore additional towns in Tuscany such as Pienza, Pitigliano , San Gimignano plus more! Bono Pizza was delicious! Jews in Rome mostly keep to themselves – don’t expect to make new local friends at shul. Highly recommend staying in the Jewish Ghetto (we liked being in an Airbnb but there are hotels there too). It is very centrally located and super convenient to be right near all the food.

Day 5:
Davened Shacharis at Great Synagogue, went for lunch to Baghetto. Then went back to Airbnb for a Shabbos nap. Woke up and went walking all over, from Jewish Ghetto, to the Colosseum. No eruv so cant’ bring water or maps, though they do have free water fountains in many places. Went back to great synagogue for mincha, shalosh seudos and maariv. Went out for melavah malka to Baghetto Milky and Gelato for dessert. Both were excellent! Then went walking all around Rome including seeing Pantheon and Trevi fountain at night when things are much less crowded.

Day 6:
Picked up breakfast at Pasticceria Boccione – a very old bakery in the Jewish ghetto. Met up with our tour guide for a tour of the Jewish ghetto (not going to say which because of my note below). Went for lunch at Bono Pizza (2/3). Spent the afternoon exploring different areas of Rome including Vatican City, Castel Saint Angelo and Campo Del Fiore market. No entrance to Vatican City museum on Sundays but we weren’t interested in going there anyway. Went to Yotvata for dinner.

*Notes- personally I didn’t think the tour was worth the money spent. I listened to the Rick Steves tour after and got much of the same information from there. Also felt I was rushed through the Jewish Museum where I would have loved to spend more time reading all the descriptions, it was fascinating! Of the 3 dairy restaurants in the Jewish ghetto, all were amazing but Yotvata was my personal favorite for taste, price, and portion size. However it didn’t have as good a vibe as the other two (Ba’Ghetto and Casalino) which have outdoor seating in the main part of the ghetto.

Day 7:
Went to Kosher cakes for breakfast. Walked to Colosseum, bought tickets at site for 1 hour guided tour of interior of Colosseum. Took tour and then went to explore Roman Forum (which includes Arch of Titus) and Palatine Hill with Rick Steves guided tour on app. Walked and explored all over central Rome with Rick Steves app, to Spanish steps, back to Palacio Venetia , Campo Del Fiore, Trevi fountain during day time, shopping along the way. Went to Casalino Osteria for dinner, and Gelato for dessert.

*Notes- We booked the guided tour of the Colosseum because the lines to buy tickets were very long, but very much regretted it because it was super rushed. Would recommend trying to get the self-guided tickets in advance (not an easy task) and use Rick Steves app, much more informative, paints better pictures of life in those times, and can do things at your own pace.

Day 8:
Woke up early, walked from Airbnb to Rome train station (~30 min), took 7:30am direct train from Rome to Salerno (~1.5 hour ride) which is at one end of the Amalfi Coast. A short walk to the docks and we bought the 3 ferry tickets we needed for the day from www.travelmar.it/en. First we took a ferry to Positano (~70 min). Ride takes you right along the coast with stunning sceneries all along the way. Arrived at Positano, walked and explored beautiful seaside town, lots and lots of steps to climb with beautiful views and shops. After ~2.5 hours, took the next Ferry to Amalfi (~25 min). Explored and walked around Amalfi, Lemon farms everywhere, lots of limoncello , shops and spent a little time on the beach. After ~3.5 hours, took ferry back to Salerno, and then train from Salerno back to Rome. Arrived back around 8:30pm, went to Baghetto Milky for dinner, and once again gelato for dessert

*Notes – Would probably have shifted an hour from Amalfi to Positano which was a bit larger and nicer. Trip was very doable as a day trip. Obviously would be great to spend a few days in the Amalfi Coast, and would have loved to take a trip to Capri, but with limited time this day trip was well worth it.

Day 9:
Spent the morning walking around Rome and Jewish ghetto one last time, picked up some Roman pastries and food (Bono Pizza of course!) for the flight home. Took Uber black which I pre-scheduled from ghetto to Rome airport and flew back into a smoky Newark.

Was an absolutely amazing trip and I highly recommend!

Offline ab613

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Italy Trip Report June 2023 (Venice, Tuscany, Rome, Amalfi)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 11:42:18 PM »
Very nice TR, thank you for sharing.

Offline goldilocks99

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 04:02:41 PM »
Interesting report, thanks for sharing.
We did a similar trip a few years back, visited similar places but with very different timing in each place. Here follows a very short synopsis:

We left Wednesday night from JFK and arrived Thursday morning in Venice. Explored many differenent areas of Venice on Thursday, and on Friday visited the nearby islands of Burano and Murano. Spent Shabbos in Venice (Carnival Palace, ate at Gam Gam).

Left Venice early Sunday morning and took a fast train to Florence where we stayed at San Firenze Suites & Spa. Explored the city on Sunday. We hired a private driver to take us around nearby Tuscany on Monday. Visited the awesome Terra Di Seta Winery (highly highly recommend). In hindsight, should've perhaps skipped Florence and spent a night sleeping in a castle in Tuscany. After lunch at the winery visited and explored Siena (also highly recommend).

Left Monday night on a fast train (3 hrs) to Naples. Took a taxi striaght from the station to Sorrento. Next morning we went on a private driving tour of the many villages along the Amalfi Coast. First stop was Pompeii, and then we visited the glorious towns of Ravello, Positano and Amalfi.

Wednesday morning we were picked up from our hotel for a semi-private boat transfer to Capri. Highly recommed to visit. Spent the day exploring Capri, going up to Monte Solaro with a chairlift (one-seat chairlifts, very interesting experience), then continued with our boat tour exploring the Blue Grotto, Faraglioni and other interesting grottos, and we also had a chance to swim in the Tyrhennian Sea.

Left early Thursday morning on a fast train for Rome. Did a private guided tour around the Collosuem and Roman Forum (highly highly recommend). Tried the many different kosher restaurants (good but NYC is better). At night explored Rome and visited the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc.

Checked out of hotel Friday at dawn, left on early morning flight and arrived home Friday afternoon (JFK) around 1-2 pm.

Note: this was a very intense trip with lots of traveling around different parts of Italy. Even so we did not manage to visit even half the places we wanted to see (think Sicily, Lake Como, Pisa, Cinque Terre, etc.) Also, we didn't have a need to rent a car for this trip.

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 05:15:38 PM »
excellent report. did you need reservations in any of the rome or venice restaurants? or just open for all.

Offline moka509

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 09:17:50 PM »
Interesting report, thanks for sharing.
We did a similar trip a few years back, visited similar places but with very different timing in each place. Here follows a very short synopsis:

We left Wednesday night from JFK and arrived Thursday morning in Venice. Explored many differenent areas of Venice on Thursday, and on Friday visited the nearby islands of Burano and Murano. Spent Shabbos in Venice (Carnival Palace, ate at Gam Gam).

Left Venice early Sunday morning and took a fast train to Florence where we stayed at San Firenze Suites & Spa. Explored the city on Sunday. We hired a private driver to take us around nearby Tuscany on Monday. Visited the awesome Terra Di Seta Winery (highly highly recommend). In hindsight, should've perhaps skipped Florence and spent a night sleeping in a castle in Tuscany. After lunch at the winery visited and explored Siena (also highly recommend).

Left Monday night on a fast train (3 hrs) to Naples. Took a taxi striaght from the station to Sorrento. Next morning we went on a private driving tour of the many villages along the Amalfi Coast. First stop was Pompeii, and then we visited the glorious towns of Ravello, Positano and Amalfi.

Wednesday morning we were picked up from our hotel for a semi-private boat transfer to Capri. Highly recommed to visit. Spent the day exploring Capri, going up to Monte Solaro with a chairlift (one-seat chairlifts, very interesting experience), then continued with our boat tour exploring the Blue Grotto, Faraglioni and other interesting grottos, and we also had a chance to swim in the Tyrhennian Sea.

Left early Thursday morning on a fast train for Rome. Did a private guided tour around the Collosuem and Roman Forum (highly highly recommend). Tried the many different kosher restaurants (good but NYC is better). At night explored Rome and visited the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc.

Checked out of hotel Friday at dawn, left on early morning flight and arrived home Friday afternoon (JFK) around 1-2 pm.

Note: this was a very intense trip with lots of traveling around different parts of Italy. Even so we did not manage to visit even half the places we wanted to see (think Sicily, Lake Como, Pisa, Cinque Terre, etc.) Also, we didn't have a need to rent a car for this trip.

The trip we just did was actually originally planned for May 2020 - for that trip were going to start in Venice just like you did and spend shabbos there before moving to Tuscany and Rome. I had already been to Florence and already knew as nice a city as it was it just wasnt worth spending time there with so many other places higher on our list. I did really want to do a trip to Capri this time but would have needed one more day to be able to do so. Ultimately there are many many iterations of this itinerary that can be done and alot depends on the amount of time you have as well as the days and airports you are flying into and out of. 

Offline moka509

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 09:18:33 PM »
excellent report. did you need reservations in any of the rome or venice restaurants? or just open for all.

Aside from shabbos, no need for reservations anywhere.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 03:31:00 AM »
Excellent Trip Report !

A few point that might be helpful.

When unsure about an exchange, ask for the opposite you need, say that you want to buy USD, when really you need EUR.
Then reverse the question. if those numbers are very close to each other, you are good.
Make sure you specify up front, and say:"So 100 USD gets me 120 EUR, correct?"
If that is approved, you should be good.

Unless you know who you are dealing with, NEVER use an unofficial exchange on the street.
They WILL rip you off. They can even give you a very good rate, and give you fake money or currency from another country, else tip off their pickpocket friend....

Question 1: Why did you go back to the airport to get a rental car? There are rental cars close to the station.

Question 2: Why did you not return the car in Rome itself? You could have dropped off your luggage and returned it in the center. (I know that with an Airbnb, dropping luggage might be a little more complicated)

Question 3: You keep on mentioning this Rick Steves App. I see it barely has reviews, and not a crazy amount of downloads. While I trust you that it is a good app, how did you fall on it? You make it sound like the travel app  ;-)

Offline moka509

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 08:24:49 AM »
Excellent Trip Report !

A few point that might be helpful.

When unsure about an exchange, ask for the opposite you need, say that you want to buy USD, when really you need EUR.
Then reverse the question. if those numbers are very close to each other, you are good.
Make sure you specify up front, and say:"So 100 USD gets me 120 EUR, correct?"
If that is approved, you should be good.

Unless you know who you are dealing with, NEVER use an unofficial exchange on the street.
They WILL rip you off. They can even give you a very good rate, and give you fake money or currency from another country, else tip off their pickpocket friend....

Question 1: Why did you go back to the airport to get a rental car? There are rental cars close to the station.

Question 2: Why did you not return the car in Rome itself? You could have dropped off your luggage and returned it in the center. (I know that with an Airbnb, dropping luggage might be a little more complicated)

Question 3: You keep on mentioning this Rick Steves App. I see it barely has reviews, and not a crazy amount of downloads. While I trust you that it is a good app, how did you fall on it? You make it sound like the travel app  ;-)

All good questions:)

Answer 1: Close to what station - Venice? I didn't see many there, if any. That may have been because I had my filters set to returning at a different location and automatic which removed alot of the car rental places. Besides, it was actually pretty easy to rent from the airport given the water taxi picked me up right near my hotel and dropped me off at the airport where the rental place was so didnt require much schlepping. That being said, if you do find a place near the Venice station go for it, that would be slightly easier. Note I also did try many other iterations such as taking train to Florence renting and returning there, and train to Rome but didnt really save time and I enjoyed having the freedom to go wherever/whenever I wanted.

Answer 2: 2 reasons, 1) we were staying in the ghetto which is a ZTL zone so essentially cant drive there, and 2) we were going returning the car on a big Italian holiday and I couldnt get through to the car rental places in the city center to find out if they were open. If you can find a place to return in city center that would be easier. Though the cab ride from CIA airport was only 31 euro so not really a big deal either way.

Answer 3: Learned about it from Dans Deals!. If you go through the forums on Rome you will see it mentioned many times. It's free to download and use. Try it out and see if you like it. 

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 10:23:06 AM »
All good questions:)

Answer 1: Close to what station - Venice? I didn't see many there, if any. That may have been because I had my filters set to returning at a different location and automatic which removed alot of the car rental places. Besides, it was actually pretty easy to rent from the airport given the water taxi picked me up right near my hotel and dropped me off at the airport where the rental place was so didnt require much schlepping. That being said, if you do find a place near the Venice station go for it, that would be slightly easier. Note I also did try many other iterations such as taking train to Florence renting and returning there, and train to Rome but didnt really save time and I enjoyed having the freedom to go wherever/whenever I wanted.

Answer 2: 2 reasons, 1) we were staying in the ghetto which is a ZTL zone so essentially cant drive there, and 2) we were going returning the car on a big Italian holiday and I couldnt get through to the car rental places in the city center to find out if they were open. If you can find a place to return in city center that would be easier. Though the cab ride from CIA airport was only 31 euro so not really a big deal either way.

Answer 3: Learned about it from Dans Deals!. If you go through the forums on Rome you will see it mentioned many times. It's free to download and use. Try it out and see if you like it.
Thanks so much for the full explanation!

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2023, 12:27:31 PM »
Hi I wanted to share some notes from my trip to Amalfi.

Flew EWR-NAP in J for 220K United points. Flight was great as it leaves 6pm and lands 8am. Perfect to get a regular nights sleep.
Naples airport is pretty small, out of the airport in 15 min. We had a driver take us to the port about a 20 min drive and then took the ferry to Capri. If you have luggage it must had a luggage tag on it that you paid.
Once disembarking we had a taxi take us to Hotel Caesar Augustus in Anacapri. It is towards the top of the island. 1300 Euro a night. The property is top notch and I would say well worth the money. Views are just the best on the island and we got a room off the cliff. This is an owner operator place and alot of attention to detail. The hotel has its own garden where you can pick fruits and veg which was a plus. It is a 5 min walk to the chairlift and I would highly recommend it.
In the main area of capri there's some interesting shopping with regular brand names such as channel, dior, etc.
The kosher restaurant is right by the main square which is very convenient.
While there are a ton of boat rides, I would recommend a private boat. It cost more but you get an amazing experience.
I would say 2 nights is enough in Capri.
Next up Ravello.
We took a ferry which leaves 945 and 345 every day. If its not raining they have an outside deck you can go on. The views are amazing. 
We stayed in Palazzo Avino, cost is 2000+ a night. They are accommodating with kosher and will even show you some wine. They also have an amazing beach club right into the cliff tho its a 20-30 min drive from the hotel shuttle. The hotel itself is top notch and great service. Dont miss the sunset!
We then took a direct minivan from hotel to rome. About 500 euro.

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2023, 12:28:58 PM »