Author Topic: Do you ever wish you had level II/III data for your personal credit card spendig  (Read 6423 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Some enterprise/government credit cards/merchants provide more information than just a date, merchant info and amount for each transaction (see a more detailed description here). FWIU, LII provides tax data and LIII provides line items (so if you purchased 5 items you'd get the breakdown on your statements with an amount, quantity, description etc. for each item).

Wouldn't it be cool if your credit card bill/data would have all that? It would open up all kinds of options, for example:With an aggregating service like Yodlee, you'd be able to find purchase information (what card you used, what an item cost etc.) for an item you purchased a long time ago by searching for the item name. This would work for both B&M and online orders.

Some people would be opposed to their CC company having this data, but imagine you can opt-in to getting it. What do y'all think?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Some enterprise/government credit cards/merchants provide more information than just a date, merchant info and amount for each transaction (see a more detailed description here). FWIU, LII provides tax data and LIII provides line items (so if you purchased 5 items you'd get the breakdown on your statements with an amount, quantity, description etc. for each item).

Wouldn't it be cool if your credit card bill/data would have all that? It would open up all kinds of options, for example:With an aggregating service like Yodlee, you'd be able to find purchase information (what card you used, what an item cost etc.) for an item you purchased a long time ago by searching for the item name. This would work for both B&M and online orders.

Some people would be opposed to their CC company having this data, but imagine you can opt-in to getting it. What do y'all think?

I think it would ruin the whole gift card buying business :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think it would ruin the whole gift card buying business :)

You think CCs would consider GCs as a cash-advance and/or not count them toward spend requirements? Even if that's what you're saying, I'm not sure that'd be the case.

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
You think CCs would consider GCs as a cash-advance and/or not count them toward spend requirements? Even if that's what you're saying, I'm not sure that'd be the case.
Could be they wouldn't count it as a CA right away but they wouldn't let you abuse it. Also I would be surprised if you would get the bonus points for them if you purchase them in a grocery or where ever.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Also I would be surprised if you would get the bonus points for them if you purchase them in a grocery or where ever.

That I can agree with.

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
But the basic idea sounds nice. Idk how often I would actually need to use it but would be convenient for those times when I am trying to track down a specific purchase

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
But the basic idea sounds nice. Idk how often I would actually need to use it but would be convenient for those times when I am trying to track down a specific purchase

Precisely my point.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
+1
would be nice to remeber exactly what i paid for sometimes

Offline Spiffster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
amex (i think it was amex, it could have been dc) used to do this back in the 80s and early 90s.  advertised the feature too.  basically, it was a photocopy of the slip you signed.  i think it went away when everybody started getting the little card swipe machines and the receipts became virtually the same for all purchases.

some cards send an annual report of all the spending, in categories and such.

i'm pretty sure they all get the info already.  they're just not giving it to you.

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
You can already track all that info with slice or lemon.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
+1, just found lemon last night.

Although it would be great to have level 3 I wonder how many pos have the capability.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
I would love to have such a service as Asher describes. I get quite frustrated every month when I look at my statement and see a bunch of Amazon purchases and can't remember what each one was for.

eBay PayPal have an advantage in this case in that they put the name of the seller on your CC statement, so you see more then just a debit by 'PayPal'.

It would be really nice for Amazon to do this, at least with third party marketplace merchants (although that wouldn't be enough for the amount of Amazon purchasing I do every month).

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
It feels a bit invasive for my cc co. to see not just categories and amount but exactly what I buy

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

I haven't noticed any of these on TC, thanks for sharing :)

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
I think Food Stamps should do it so that they don't get scammed by local stores who accept it for goods other than food. But I suppose that 50 years after we all have it perhaps they might also get it.

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Wont this run into legal issues for example if I pay a doctor bill and my cc co. Sees an itemized bill would that go against HIPA laws

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
It feels a bit invasive for my cc co. to see not just categories and amount but exactly what I buy
Wont this run into legal issues for example if I pay a doctor bill and my cc co. Sees an itemized bill would that go against HIPA laws

True. This is a big problem and a strong argument against such a feature.
On the other hand, in the days when most people paid via check (vs CC, billpay, ACH etc), the bank was always able to see to whom people made out their checks, as is the case today.

Offline arch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Lowes just started a new program called "my lowes". It will save all info about your purchases and other services for you. I think you could put your cc or paypal accnt on file, and just swipr your "my lowes" card/keychain. I think its about time that all retailers would do this. That way we wouldnt have to save receipts, and there would be less fraudulent returns too. This would also streamline the return process, and if you have a cc on file, the buying process too. Oh it would reduce our "carbon footprint" too, for all you tree huggers out there  ;)
Learner-Churner or Churner-Learner?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lowes just started a new program called "my lowes". It will save all info about your purchases and other services for you. I think you could put your cc or paypal accnt on file, and just swipr your "my lowes" card/keychain. I think its about time that all retailers would do this. That way we wouldnt have to save receipts, and there would be less fraudulent returns too. This would also streamline the return process, and if you have a cc on file, the buying process too. Oh it would reduce our "carbon footprint" too, for all you tree huggers out there  ;)

This has inherent flaws/issues:

1. If I lose my myLowe's card/keychain, anyone can buy things on my name (do I get the same protection Amex offers)?
2. I'm going to have to carry around a card/keychain for every chain I shop at...

Offline arch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Good Points. They have a card that goes in your wallet, they also give you a sticker to apply to a frequently used cc, so you dont have to keep a card on file. There are flaws but with some fine tuning I think it can be beneficial. Its sorta like online shopping, but in a B&M. On a side note, I just bought a used car, and when I went to test drive it, the lady gave me her keys, and there were 32(!) different keychain card  thingys on it( yes, I counted)! Only 1 key and clicker tho.
Learner-Churner or Churner-Learner?