Author Topic: US Politics/2020 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread  (Read 243218 times)

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
Re: US Politics/2020 Election Pick Your Poison Master Thread
« Reply #2200 on: August 19, 2020, 03:09:46 AM »
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2201 on: August 19, 2020, 10:53:15 AM »
Was not bashing but it all fairness I see your point and should not have used hair as an example.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The example doesn't matter. The point is that different cultures have different value systems. How specific traits and virtues manifest themselves in individuals within those systems is subjective. You make a blanket statement that a person's station in life is a testament to virtues you've never seen them exhibit, solely based on some social litmus test that doles out virtues in accordance with results, regardless of how those results were achieved. For you to proclaim that because our value system doesn't lend itself to many public displays of accomplishment, and therefore we must not have women who are strong and independent, is ignorant and elitist.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, and I hope you don't take it as such. The reality is, this virtue signalling is not unique in today's society. In fact, Michelle Obama displayed it in full force just the other day during her DNC speech. The assumption that there is one set of values by which we all should live is possibly the biggest mistake the Obama administration made, and it gave us President Donald Trump. When you assume that one who hasn't achieved "X" must not have what it takes to accomplish that goal, you dismiss anyone who doesn't value that achievement the same way you do. You tell the world that there is only one way to attain these virtues, and if you don't have the same values, your worth is automatically diminished. Frankly, this attitude is prevalent throughout the Democratic Party, and it is the reason there is still a very good chance that Trump will win again.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2202 on: August 19, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »
You're missing the forest for the trees. The example doesn't matter. The point is that different cultures have different value systems. How specific traits and virtues manifest themselves in individuals within those systems is subjective. You make a blanket statement that a person's station in life is a testament to virtues you've never seen them exhibit, solely based on some social litmus test that doles out virtues in accordance with results, regardless of how those results were achieved. For you to proclaim that because our value system doesn't lend itself to many public displays of accomplishment, and therefore we must not have women who are strong and independent, is ignorant and elitist.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, and I hope you don't take it as such. The reality is, this virtue signalling is not unique in today's society. In fact, Michelle Obama displayed it in full force just the other day during her DNC speech. The assumption that there is one set of values by which we all should live is possibly the biggest mistake the Obama administration made, and it gave us President Donald Trump. When you assume that one who hasn't achieved "X" must not have what it takes to accomplish that goal, you dismiss anyone who doesn't value that achievement the same way you do. You tell the world that there is only one way to attain these virtues, and if you don't have the same values, your worth is automatically diminished. Frankly, this attitude is prevalent throughout the Democratic Party, and it is the reason there is still a very good chance that Trump will win again.

This is besides the contradition of independence being based on someone else's values.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: August 19, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »

Glad to see that someone is doing Yehuda57's job of "saying things eloquently" now that he's gone.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2204 on: August 20, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't say this sooner, but this is racist and needs to be deleted. If something like this had been posted about some Jewish stereotype, we'd be pissed.

Offline justaregularguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: August 20, 2020, 05:21:03 PM »
I'm sorry I didn't say this sooner, but this is racist and needs to be deleted. If something like this had been posted about some Jewish stereotype, we'd be pissed.
lol i thought you were against yellow emoji's referencing asians or something for a second  ;D
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: August 20, 2020, 05:45:10 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/paterson-new-jersey-voter-fraud-new-election-city-council-race

Coming soon to theaters nationwide...
i just dont understand the need for mail in voting. go to any supermarket in America now and the people are standing in line closer to each other than they would inside a voting booth. the line to wait for a booth? make it stretch around the building and extend the hrs in the day to vote. honestly this is such a dumb argument. do special hrs for senior citizens like supermarkets do. seriously this is such an easy resolve.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: August 20, 2020, 06:13:47 PM »
i just dont understand the need for mail in voting. go to any supermarket in America now and the people are standing in line closer to each other than they would inside a voting booth. the line to wait for a booth? make it stretch around the building and extend the hrs in the day to vote. honestly this is such a dumb argument. do special hrs for senior citizens like supermarkets do. seriously this is such an easy resolve.

Do you know how many people don't go to the supermarket? There are enough who either can't or choose not to take the risk that mail-in voting would see a huge increase, regardless. It's not easily solved, and the result is that there will be accusations of voter fraud on local and national levels by both parties.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: August 20, 2020, 08:03:39 PM »
Do you know how many people don't go to the supermarket? There are enough who either can't or choose not to take the risk that mail-in voting would see a huge increase, regardless. It's not easily solved, and the result is that there will be accusations of voter fraud on local and national levels by both parties.
Request an absentee ballot?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: August 20, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »
Watching Biden giving perhaps the biggest speech of his campaign now. The guy has no life in him. His eyes are dull, his voice is droning. He no longer has any vigor left in his aging body. He may not be senile, but his age has left an indelible impression on him, and it's written all over his face.

They can try to prop him up. They can try to close their eyes and make believe he's good 'ol Joe Biden. But there is no mistaking it. This person no longer has the capacity to take on one of the toughest jobs in the country.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: August 20, 2020, 11:12:52 PM »
I just listened to the longest advertisement-actually didnt finish listening it was so long!-of Biden where he grew up, how he conquered his stutter, what he did in the summer etc. etc.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: August 20, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »
I just listened to the longest advertisement-actually didnt finish listening it was so long!-of Biden where he grew up, how he conquered his stutter, what he did in the summer etc. etc.
Listening - didn't sound bad. Watching is where I saw his lifelessness.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2213 on: August 20, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
Watching Biden giving perhaps the biggest speech of his campaign now. The guy has no life in him. His eyes are dull, his voice is droning. He no longer has any vigor left in his aging body. He may not be senile, but his age has left an indelible impression on him, and it's written all over his face.

They can try to prop him up. They can try to close their eyes and make believe he's good 'ol Joe Biden. But there is no mistaking it. This person no longer has the capacity to take on one of the toughest jobs in the country.
I heard Harris last night on a car radio and it also sounded dull. I have a feeling a lot was due to the video format. This can be a serious issue for them. The prime purpose of the convention is to energize and i have a feeling that will be lacking. Trump, being a showman, stands a very good change o of having a more energizing convention.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: August 20, 2020, 11:18:28 PM »
I also have a strong hunch that Biden's speech was not delivered live. I think it was just made to look like it was live.

Has he ever given a speech before (in recent months) with ZERO gaffes??

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 20, 2020, 11:19:56 PM »
Listening - didn't sound bad. Watching is where I saw his lifelessness.
ah bc listening to a prerecorded message is a whole lot different than being live.

but if you say this..
I also have a strong hunch that Biden's speech was not delivered live. I think it was just made to look like it was live.
..than i dont know what to tell you man

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 20, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »

I thought he was ok. The strategy they chose is that it's a dark moment and he brings hope. They must've decided that what worked for Obama will work again.

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: August 20, 2020, 11:23:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1296648190654124032
Good thing. Most people had fallen asleep already.

And it's past his bedtime.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 20, 2020, 11:44:03 PM »
My perspective of the convention, from the parts I've heard:

They didn't focus on bringing on Republicans, only to strengthen their Democrat base. The way they spoke about Biden, with the focus of "Joe has our backs so we must have his back," made me want to vomit.

I heard very little substance, too much production.