Author Topic: ISO: Large Freezer Recommendations  (Read 8316 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
ISO: Large Freezer Recommendations
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a large freezer for home use.

This looks pretty great https://www.centralrestaurant.com/Kratos-Refrigeration-69K-774-Reach-In-Freezer-2-Solid-Doors-49-Cu-Ft-c94p540299.html

Never heard of the company, don't know ratings, or energy consumption.

Anyone have experience with this or similarly sizes freezers?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: ISO: Large Freezer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 12:37:40 AM »

This looks pretty great https://www.centralrestaurant.com/Kratos-Refrigeration-69K-774-Reach-In-Freezer-2-Solid-Doors-49-Cu-Ft-c94p540299.html

Where are you putting it? I would not put that in a regular kitchen. I don't know different models of industrial fridges/freezerd, but in general they are loud and give off a lot of heat.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
Also many of them have open door sensors, and temperature sensors which will go off. You need to make sure you can disable them for shabbos if they have them.
Edit: I see it has a open door sensor. And an LED temperature display.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 02:59:52 AM »

Im not sure what ur budget is...

https://www.culinarydepotinc.com/traulsen-g22010-g-series-two-section-reach-in-freezer-w-two-solid-doors-46-cu-ft-with-shabbos-mode-certification

I know a few big shuls that use this one.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:21:21 AM »
What size? Height? One door? Two door? Ice box idea? Or standing freezer?

I would call up a place like Town Appliances in lakewood and tell them what your looking for and see what they recommend, these guys are in the business and know whats out there.
 And from there take what they mention and do you own homework, or ask them if they ship to your home town or call whomever supplies these type of appliances in your home town and ask to see what they recommend...

Good Luck!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »

I would call up a place like Town Appliances in lakewood and tell them what your looking for and see what they recommend, these guys are in the business and know whats out there.
 And from there take what they mention and do you own homework, or ask them if they ship to your home town or call whomever supplies these type of appliances in your home town and ask to see what they recommend...

Good Luck!
This exactly. This kind of store will tell you what's good, what's on special... they will basically tell you what to get based on your price range and requirements.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:14:12 AM »
I agree that Town Appliance is the place to call. 732.364.5195. They advertise and service beyond just Lakewood, and they really have the knowledge in my experience.

One pet peeve of mine in regard to freezers: There are (at least) two types of large freezers, one is the traditional type, with coils or shelves that freeze, and the other is the newer, "frost-free" models that freeze using fans, like a powerful air-conditioner. Every store that I've spoken to has recommended the new frost-free ones, because "hey, why would you want to have to defrost the freeze once or twice every year?" I strongly disagree with their recommendation. In my experience, things stored in frost-free freezers for extended periods (anytime more than a week or two) get a freezer taste. If it's there for a month or two, it will get seriously freezer-burned. In a traditional non-frost-free freezer, however, I find that food maintains its freshness for extended periods of time. I consider the defrosting - which is really no big deal - a very worthy trade-off.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:21:24 AM »
I have a frost free freezer, and have not noticed a significant freezer burned taste. I often leave food in for months at a time.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »
I agree that Town Appliance is the place to call. 732.364.5195. They advertise and service beyond just Lakewood, and they really have the knowledge in my experience.

One pet peeve of mine in regard to freezers: There are (at least) two types of large freezers, one is the traditional type, with coils or shelves that freeze, and the other is the newer, "frost-free" models that freeze using fans, like a powerful air-conditioner. Every store that I've spoken to has recommended the new frost-free ones, because "hey, why would you want to have to defrost the freeze once or twice every year?" I strongly disagree with their recommendation. In my experience, things stored in frost-free freezers for extended periods (anytime more than a week or two) get a freezer taste. If it's there for a month or two, it will get seriously freezer-burned. In a traditional non-frost-free freezer, however, I find that food maintains its freshness for extended periods of time. I consider the defrosting - which is really no big deal - a very worthy trade-off.
I have one of each and find just the opposite
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »

I agree 100%. I have a large frost freezer and the small frost-free that comes wih the fridge. The difference is HUGE!
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 09:29:10 AM »
I agree 100%. I have a large frost freezer and the small frost-free that comes wih the fridge. The difference is HUGE!
Very likely that you are opening the small one much more often

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
Very likely that you are opening the small one much more often
The overall mechanics of the one attached to the fridge are different too. It is a fridge not a freezer.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
I have a frost free freezer, and have not noticed a significant freezer burned taste. I often leave food in for months at a time.
Stick some baking soda boxes in the freezer and wrap all items in bags when storing for extended periods of time.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
Stick some baking soda boxes in the freezer and wrap all items in bags when storing for extended periods of time.
More expensive option is to vacuum pack ur stuff
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
More expensive option is to vacuum pack ur stuff
That's an option but also a real pain to do every time.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »
That's an option but also a real pain to do every time.
Or only for the things you want to store for a long time

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »
Where are you putting it? I would not put that in a regular kitchen. I don't know different models of industrial fridges/freezerd, but in general they are loud and give off a lot of heat.

It would go in a garage.
Also many of them have open door sensors, and temperature sensors which will go off. You need to make sure you can disable them for shabbos if they have them.
Edit: I see it has a open door sensor. And an LED temperature display.
I'd have a main freezer inside the kitchen, so don't really need it for shabbos. Great points though!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 10:21:13 AM »

Good Luck!
This exactly. This kind of store will tell you what's good, what's on special... they will basically tell you what to get based on your price range and requirements.
Town appliance wasn't helpful at all.

Their biggest freezer is 20 cu ft.

I'm looking for 30cu ft minimum.

I also spoke to the people that sell the freezer in my first post, and they said it won't be under warranty at a home, and discouraged buying it.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 10:31:24 AM »
Town appliance wasn't helpful at all.

You can try Auction Mart in Monsey, it's the same type of store
(845) 352-3725