Author Topic: Porting Nightmare  (Read 2625 times)

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Porting Nightmare
« on: February 20, 2020, 04:47:20 PM »
I recently ported my cell phone number from company A to company B.
Although talk, text & data is working fine with company B, it seems like company A is still holding on to my number.
For example, if someone sends an email to mynumber@mms.companyA.net - my phone will still receive the message, even though I am no longer with company A rather company B.
Much more annoying is that company B allows me to send international texts, yet whenever I send an international text I get a message from company A saying that my plan does not allow international text and my text gets blocked!
Way too much time has been spent on the phone with both company A & company B to get this resolved and each company insists the other company needs to fix the issue. At this point, both companies have basically told me to just stop calling them about this as there is nothing they can do!
Is there anyone here has can help me with this?
It would be greatly appreciated.

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Porting Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:52:06 PM »
Although talk, text & data is working fine with company B, it seems like company A is still holding on to my number.
For example, if someone sends an email to mynumber@mms.companyA.net - my phone will still receive the message, even though I am no longer with company A rather company B.
Much more annoying is that company B allows me to send international texts, yet whenever I send an international text I get a message from company A saying that my plan does not allow international text and my text gets blocked!
Way too much time has been spent on the phone with both company A & company B to get this resolved and each company insists the other company needs to fix the issue. At this point, both companies have basically told me to just stop calling them about this as there is nothing they can do!
Better business bureau works wonders on stubborn companies

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 04:57:51 PM »
Better business bureau works wonders on stubborn companies
Based on your knowledge, which company is really at fault (to know which one to speak to the BBB about)?

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »
Drop company A and company B and use company C, also know as Verizon. Hope that helps :D

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
I had a porting issue too, though probably not related to yours. This was for a house phone we'd been making do without for at least a year or two. We had and Obi with GV, but the actual phones in the house were non-functional so we never used them. I bought new phones, and tried to port the number from GV over to VOIP service with Spectrum. I had to release the number within GV, which I did. We can make calls from our Spectrum home phone, and it comes up as our number on the other person's caller ID. Yet when someone calls our number, it doesn't ring through on our Spectrum home phone, and the VM's people leave show up on my GV account. Been around 2 months and still trying to get it sorted.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »
Been around 2 months and still trying to get it sorted.
Yikes.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
Drop company A and company B and use company C, also know as Verizon. Hope that helps :D
Actually, that may complicate matters even more since I may have to port from both company A and company B to Verizon, yet company A insists my number is no longer with them.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 06:46:11 PM »

is company B an MVNO of company A?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
is company B an MVNO of company A?
They are both MVNOs of AT&T.
Company A - Cricket.
Company B - FreeUP.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
is the handling of email-to-sms in these cases sometimes handled by the parent company?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 08:53:13 PM »
is the handling of email-to-sms in these cases sometimes handled by the parent company?
Possibly.
But my main issue is that Cricket is blocking my outgoing international texts even though they insist my phone number is completely by FreeUp.

Offline points 99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
Just curious if you tried your sim card in a different phone. Could be it's a setting on the actual phone that is blocking int texts...

Possibly.
But my main issue is that Cricket is blocking my outgoing international texts even though they insist my phone number is completely by FreeUp.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 11:17:51 PM »
Just curious if you tried your sim card in a different phone. Could be it's a setting on the actual phone that is blocking int texts...
Same on different phone.
Besides, it's not just getting blocked - I get an incoming text message from Cricket saying that my plan doesn't allow international text.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »
Go down to the cricket store, and show them what happens when you try to send a text internationally. can't deny it if it's in front of their faces.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 12:12:34 AM »
Go down to the cricket store, and show them what happens when you try to send a text internationally. can't deny it if it's in front of their faces.
Besides the time involved, do you think they have the ability to do anything about it?
Generally, the people in stores don't seem too knowledgeable and/or capable of fixing complicated issues.
Am I wrong?

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 12:20:24 AM »
Besides the time involved, do you think they have the ability to do anything about it?
Generally, the people in stores don't seem too knowledgeable and/or capable of fixing complicated issues.
Am I wrong?
Funny, I was thinking the same at first. While they personally might not be able to help, they may be able to connect you with someone who can. Every once in a while these stores have a manager who actually knows what they're doing.  Also, they may be able to show you something on their end, in store, that you wouldn't be able to see over the phone, that may be helpful in solving the issue.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »
Funny, I was thinking the same at first. While they personally might not be able to help, they may be able to connect you with someone who can. Every once in a while these stores have a manager who actually knows what they're doing.  Also, they may be able to show you something on their end, in store, that you wouldn't be able to see over the phone, that may be helpful in solving the issue.
Thanks.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
Actually, that may complicate matters even more since I may have to port from both company A and company B to Verizon, yet company A insists my number is no longer with them.
There is no such thing as needing to port from two companies. You'll need to port from one company and it will be company B.

Your issue is most likely due to the way those MVNOs handle transferring service between them (it is internal switching service within the same network, and is not a real port) and something got messed up there.