Author Topic: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology  (Read 49570 times)

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Meir Kay (Kalmanson) a religious internet personality featured in many music videos including “mach a Baracha” and "Ivri Anochi" released a video in which he gifts a gay "couple" a fun night out in a limo, restaurant, and hotel room – for Valentine’s Day.

We tend to allow our children to watch Jewish videos freely. Unfortunately today more than ever we must ascertain if what they are watching is truly  "Jewish".

Meir should take down the video and issue an apology.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:40:56 AM by Something Fishy »
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Meir Key should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
Not commenting on the content, but what he posts is up to him. If you don't like it, don't watch it and don't let your kids watch it. we live in a time where our freedoms are protected whether right or wrong, whether moral or immoral, and he has every right to do as he pleases. As has been said about the airline industry here many times, "Vote with your wallet". If enough people stop watching his videos he may want to do something to appease those people. Until then, just ignore it.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »

Yeah, that's never going to happen.

Also, look into the "Streisand effect."
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »

Precisely.

I never heard of Meir Kay. Now I did.

I never saw the video. Now I did. And I must say, after the first 45 seconds I barfed in my mouth and quickly closed it.

We tend to allow our children to watch Jewish videos freely. Unfortunately today more than ever we must ascertain if what they are watching is truly  "Jewish".

By "we" I assume you mean Mr. and Mrs. Shkop? Personally, I would never allow my kids to watch "Jewish" videos freely.

I'm currently crying now for this Meir Kay, I hope can see past the $ and be the person he's supposed to be.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 12:29:07 PM »
Yeah, that's never going to happen.

Views have doubled in the last 20 minutes lol ;D

Offline Abebee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »
Precisely.

I never saw the video. Now I did. And I must say, after the first 45 seconds I barfed in my mouth and quickly closed it.

By "we" I assume you mean Mr. and Mrs. Shkop? Personally, I would never allow my kids to watch "Jewish" videos freely.

I'm currently crying now for this Meir Kay, I hope can see past the $ and be the person he's supposed to be.

Its a lot more then Mr and Mrs Shkop. Meir has made numerous music videos - like mentioned above "Mach a brachcha" for Shmuly Unger

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »
How are you letting your children watch "Jewish" videos? Are you letting them go on you tube? Do you really think that they're never going to watch another video on youtube? Or that the next video autoplayed by Youtube's algorithm won't be Jewish?

I don't know Meir from beyond his videos, but something tells me - aside from his appearances in Benny's video, his content isn't necessarily aimed at the frum world, and for the most part, because he does it with a Yarmulka and a smile - he's creating a kiddush hashem.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
Not commenting on the content, but what he posts is up to him. If you don't like it, don't watch it and don't let your kids watch it. we live in a time where our freedoms are protected whether right or wrong, whether moral or immoral, and he has every right to do as he pleases. As has been said about the airline industry here many times, "Vote with your wallet". If enough people stop watching his videos he may want to do something to appease those people. Until then, just ignore it.
A) from a Torah perspective you are completely wrong. Just because one can legally do as one pleases (e.g. eat non-kosher food) does not mean it is permissible. Same here.
B) As far as legality goes, let's extend your argument. Just like he has a right to publish whatever he wants, so too does anyone else have a right to express their opinion. My opinion is that if Meir cares about being part of the Jewish community, he should take down that garbage and issue an apology.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Precisely.
It's nice to know that you are more vigilant about what you allow your kids to watch. But I think it is true that often times frum people are quicker to allow their kids to watch something that is purportedly Jewish without checking it out first than allowing them to watch something that is not.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 12:40:13 PM »
Great job giving it exposure. Never would have seen it otherwise.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »

I don't know Meir from beyond his videos, but something tells me - aside from his appearances in Benny's video, his content isn't necessarily aimed at the frum world, and for the most part, because he does it with a Yarmulka and a smile - he's creating a kiddush hashem.
Well this is a fine example of a chillul Hashem

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »

I know  :-\ I hope it doesn't make its way onto all the chats, no reason to have everyone go into Shabbos with this drek in their eyes.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »

A) from a Torah perspective you are completely wrong. Just because one can legally do as one pleases (e.g. eat non-kosher food) does not mean it is permissible. Same here.
B) As far as legality goes, let's extend your argument. Just like he has a right to publish whatever he wants, so too does anyone else have a right to express their opinion. My opinion is that if Meir cares about being part of the Jewish community, he should take down that garbage and issue an apology.
Wow, my point flew so far over your head, you probably assumed it was a plane.

Do you go to every shul where people drive there on shabbos, and scream at them? Do you publicly denounce them? Part of reality is that people will make choices that don't jive with our personal/religious beliefs, and you can share your feelings, but you can't make them do anything. If you tell me you eat pork, I will tell you I don't like that you do that, and it makes me sad, but that's not something i have the power to change. You are entitled to your opinion, but you telling someone what to do, based on your opinion, or an opinion you believe in, is a different story. Yes, you are allowed to, but it says something about you.

Side note, maybe this is his first step in coming out?

Offline Abebee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »
Meir comment on this video.

The Youtube comments - a place where the beauty of humanity and the opposite can be found in just a few short sentences. To give this video a bit more context and the process on how this day came to be is that I had the idea to give a couple, ( in my mind - a man and woman) a day out, an escape from their homeless situation, a day for them to connect, bond over a fun activity and backdrops that they may not have access to in their lives. 

Finding a couple in the short amount of time that I had was a difficult task actually and when I heard that the couple that was interested to join me for the day were gay, I didn't think twice. I didn't think about the comments here on Youtube, the opinions of the community,  or anyone else because I had the opportunity to brighten someone's day, to fulfill the reason why I was inspired to make this idea into a reality, so what if they are two men who have found comfort, peace and love amongst themselves, it was a no brainer.

This video, like my other videos is meant to inspire and to show perhaps and even give a nudge to the watcher to take an action, to bring light and love to the world, in their own way. To go about doing something so extravagant I understand not all have the means and connections to do so, rather, it's the small things in life that truly have the biggest impact.

How wonderful that this video can hold a mirror to the watcher on how they react to seeing something different from their belief system, to experience disappointment in someone and how they share that with the person etc. How righteous they can feel about themselves in one area in their life and forgo some crucial elements of being truly righteous in other aspects of their being.

Is your house in order?

My friends, I started created videos because they are my passion, I love to help people and I love films and I put those two things together and I am blessed and grateful to be able to do so. I'm also grateful for the support and love I've received over the years from this Youtube community and all my other social media platforms and it's great that people love what I do, sometimes they enjoy them more and sometimes less, but I create because I am a creator and this is what I must do.

I shall continue to do so and if this is where we part ways I thank you for your support and love throughout these months and years and if you're still on for the ride I thank you for your continuous love and support it really means a lot to me and I appreciate you - thank you!

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »

I'm assuming you've seen his other videos, including:

So mixed dancing is okay and "Jewish" but a gay couple is not, got it.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
As @AJK said as well. This is the biggest mistake made. So many people who never heard of him now have. We live in a time where negative attention can help a persons popularity many times more than positive attention. #cashmeoutside

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
Wow, my point flew so far over your head, you probably assumed it was a plane.

Do you go to every shul where people drive there on shabbos, and scream at them? Do you publicly denounce them? Part of reality is that people will make choices that don't jive with our personal/religious beliefs, and you can share your feelings, but you can't make them do anything. If you tell me you eat pork, I will tell you I don't like that you do that, and it makes me sad, but that's not something i have the power to change. You are entitled to your opinion, but you telling someone what to do, based on your opinion, or an opinion you believe in, is a different story. Yes, you are allowed to, but it says something about you.
Whatever. i think you just don't like someone making an issue about a Jewish thing.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
Well this is a fine example of a chillul Hashem

I think you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes a chillul hashem. Let me ask you this - what really offends you in this video? That he's helping people celebrate valentines day? That he is giving a shred of humanity to some homeless individuals, or the fact that they are gay?

I'm guessing it's the last one. If not, you wouldn't be complaining right here and now, you would've complained about his superbowl parties. 

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »

Finding a couple in the short amount of time that I had was a difficult task actually and when I heard that the couple that was interested to join me for the day were gay, I didn't think twice. I didn't think about the comments here on Youtube, the opinions of the community,  or anyone else because I had the opportunity to brighten someone's day, to fulfill the reason why I was inspired to make this idea into a reality, so what if they are two men who have found comfort, peace and love amongst themselves, it was a no brainer.
Very very sad

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 12:51:37 PM »

So mixed dancing is okay and "Jewish" but a gay couple is not, got it.
I'm assuming you don't know the history of why the mabul came? it was not because of mixed dancing that Hashem to decided to start a new page... so don't compare it.

I think you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes a chillul hashem. Let me ask you this - what really offends you in this video? That he's helping people celebrate valentines day? That he is giving a shred of humanity to some homeless individuals, or the fact that they are gay?

I'm guessing it's the last one. If not, you wouldn't be complaining right here and now, you would've complained about his superbowl parties.

again the issue isnt that they are gay. the issue is about the actions they do.  you really don't understand the jewish stand point on homosexuality
#TYH