Author Topic: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology  (Read 10092 times)

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Meir Key should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
Great job giving it exposure. Never would have seen it otherwise.
As @AJK said as well. This is the biggest mistake made. So many people who never heard of him now have. We live in a time where negative attention can help a persons popularity many times more than positive attention. #cashmeoutside
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
Wow, my point flew so far over your head, you probably assumed it was a plane.

Do you go to every shul where people drive there on shabbos, and scream at them? Do you publicly denounce them? Part of reality is that people will make choices that don't jive with our personal/religious beliefs, and you can share your feelings, but you can't make them do anything. If you tell me you eat pork, I will tell you I don't like that you do that, and it makes me sad, but that's not something i have the power to change. You are entitled to your opinion, but you telling someone what to do, based on your opinion, or an opinion you believe in, is a different story. Yes, you are allowed to, but it says something about you.
Whatever. i think you just don't like someone making an issue about a Jewish thing.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
Well this is a fine example of a chillul Hashem

I think you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes a chillul hashem. Let me ask you this - what really offends you in this video? That he's helping people celebrate valentines day? That he is giving a shred of humanity to some homeless individuals, or the fact that they are gay?

I'm guessing it's the last one. If not, you wouldn't be complaining right here and now, you would've complained about his superbowl parties. 

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »

Finding a couple in the short amount of time that I had was a difficult task actually and when I heard that the couple that was interested to join me for the day were gay, I didn't think twice. I didn't think about the comments here on Youtube, the opinions of the community,  or anyone else because I had the opportunity to brighten someone's day, to fulfill the reason why I was inspired to make this idea into a reality, so what if they are two men who have found comfort, peace and love amongst themselves, it was a no brainer.
Very very sad

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold and whatever
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 12:51:37 PM »

So mixed dancing is okay and "Jewish" but a gay couple is not, got it.
I'm assuming you don't know the history of why the mabul came? it was not because of mixed dancing that Hashem to decided to start a new page... so don't compare it.

I think you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes a chillul hashem. Let me ask you this - what really offends you in this video? That he's helping people celebrate valentines day? That he is giving a shred of humanity to some homeless individuals, or the fact that they are gay?

I'm guessing it's the last one. If not, you wouldn't be complaining right here and now, you would've complained about his superbowl parties.

again the issue isnt that they are gay. the issue is about the actions they do.  you really don't understand the jewish stand point on homosexuality

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
Whatever. i think you just don't like someone making an issue about a Jewish thing.
No, I try to act as I would want to be acted to. Many people in this wonderful world feel the same way of things you and I do, that you feel about gays. Imagine they all were as vocal and hating as you. Don't conflate disapproval/not believing with hate. Speak up about how you feel, voice your opinion, but dont force things on others, even if they're wrong, especially when your opinion may be a minority opinion.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
So mixed dancing is okay and "Jewish" but a gay couple is not, got it.
Perhaps some of his other stuff isn't great either, but not everything is equally problematic. I would argue that this video is the worst of them all.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »
Personally, I would never allow my kids to watch "Jewish" videos freely.
This.

1,000,000 times over. Unless something is endorsed by someone I would blindly trust (based on my experience or appreciation of such person), I wouldn't trust anything just because it's branded "Jewish" or produced by someone that shares a few things in common with me within the sect and within the tribe. That goes for anything consumed, be it entertainment, food, etc.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »
No, I try to act as I would want to be acted to. Many people in this wonderful world feel the same way of things you and I do, that you feel about gays. Imagine they all were as vocal and hating as you. Don't conflate disapproval/not believing with hate. Speak up about how you feel, voice your opinion, but dont force things on others, even if they're wrong, especially when your opinion may be a minority opinion.
The Torah's opinion is very clear. Committed Jews shoud hate such behavior. Yes hate. Not mere disapproval of such behavior which is merely a watered down version of Judaism. As far as forcing things on other's goes, I have no idea what you are talking about. Is expressing an opinion forcing something on someone? In the times of the Sanhedrin they sure did force things on people. We need to wait for Moshiach for that again.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
The Torah's opinion is very clear. Committed Jews shoud hate such behavior. Yes hate.
Source?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »
The Torah's opinion is very clear. Committed Jews shoud hate such behavior. Yes hate. Not mere disapproval of such behavior which is merely a watered down version of Judaism. As far as forcing things on other's goes, I have no idea what you are talking about. Is expressing an opinion forcing something on someone? In the times of the Sanhedrin they sure did force things on people. We need to wait for Moshiach for that again.
Firstly, the Torah says lots of things, but not all of them can be instated in the times we live in. While your point is correct, how do you know if these individuals engage in prohibited sexual acts? Assuming they do, what's that got to do with Meir Kay? So hate him for the associating with individuals you assume are doing something the torah (supposedly) says you should hate? To your last point, You are telling him what to do based on your opinion. I agree, He should not have made this video, or associated with these individuals as a practicing Jew, But that's up to him, and I can't tell him not to.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »
Perhaps some of his other stuff isn't great either, but not everything is equally problematic. I would argue that this video is the worst of them all.

We tend to allow our children to watch Jewish videos freely. Unfortunately today more than ever we must ascertain if what they are watching is truly  "Jewish".

Putting aside the content of this particular video, I think that your suggestion and logic is flawed. No one ever gave Meir Key a hashgacha. He never once made a claim that everything he does is approved by the beis din in crown heights or anywhere else. You anger is that you allowed yourself to consider Meir Kay Kosher, and he turned out a "Traif" video, destroying your trust.

Clearly Meir has been putting out content similar (albeit minus the gay couple part) for years. He's also been invited to the Kinus, and to do the Kosher Superbowl halftime show with Nachum Segal. If others think like you, he may not be invited back.

But the moral of this story is - if you're concerned about what your kids are watching, you probably need to do a better job of monitoring them.

Offline yitz1000

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »
I clicked on the TT DDF notification that I received for this unfortunate video. I will not watch it though as I see nothing to gain. TY for the insight.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »

What "offends" me? Well let's see....maybe the fact that such actively is highly problematic as per an open verse in the Torah...does that make any sense?

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 01:17:07 PM »
Source?
For starters, if Hashem calls something an abomination, then we should concur. It's very logical.