Author Topic: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology  (Read 49586 times)

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Meir Key should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
Whatever. i think you just don't like someone making an issue about a Jewish thing.
No, I try to act as I would want to be acted to. Many people in this wonderful world feel the same way of things you and I do, that you feel about gays. Imagine they all were as vocal and hating as you. Don't conflate disapproval/not believing with hate. Speak up about how you feel, voice your opinion, but dont force things on others, even if they're wrong, especially when your opinion may be a minority opinion.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
So mixed dancing is okay and "Jewish" but a gay couple is not, got it.
Perhaps some of his other stuff isn't great either, but not everything is equally problematic. I would argue that this video is the worst of them all.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »
Personally, I would never allow my kids to watch "Jewish" videos freely.
This.

1,000,000 times over. Unless something is endorsed by someone I would blindly trust (based on my experience or appreciation of such person), I wouldn't trust anything just because it's branded "Jewish" or produced by someone that shares a few things in common with me within the sect and within the tribe. That goes for anything consumed, be it entertainment, food, etc.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »
No, I try to act as I would want to be acted to. Many people in this wonderful world feel the same way of things you and I do, that you feel about gays. Imagine they all were as vocal and hating as you. Don't conflate disapproval/not believing with hate. Speak up about how you feel, voice your opinion, but dont force things on others, even if they're wrong, especially when your opinion may be a minority opinion.
The Torah's opinion is very clear. Committed Jews shoud hate such behavior. Yes hate. Not mere disapproval of such behavior which is merely a watered down version of Judaism. As far as forcing things on other's goes, I have no idea what you are talking about. Is expressing an opinion forcing something on someone? In the times of the Sanhedrin they sure did force things on people. We need to wait for Moshiach for that again.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 01:08:42 PM »
The Torah's opinion is very clear. Committed Jews shoud hate such behavior. Yes hate.
Source?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »
The Torah's opinion is very clear. Committed Jews shoud hate such behavior. Yes hate. Not mere disapproval of such behavior which is merely a watered down version of Judaism. As far as forcing things on other's goes, I have no idea what you are talking about. Is expressing an opinion forcing something on someone? In the times of the Sanhedrin they sure did force things on people. We need to wait for Moshiach for that again.
Firstly, the Torah says lots of things, but not all of them can be instated in the times we live in. While your point is correct, how do you know if these individuals engage in prohibited sexual acts? Assuming they do, what's that got to do with Meir Kay? So hate him for the associating with individuals you assume are doing something the torah (supposedly) says you should hate? To your last point, You are telling him what to do based on your opinion. I agree, He should not have made this video, or associated with these individuals as a practicing Jew, But that's up to him, and I can't tell him not to.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »
Perhaps some of his other stuff isn't great either, but not everything is equally problematic. I would argue that this video is the worst of them all.

We tend to allow our children to watch Jewish videos freely. Unfortunately today more than ever we must ascertain if what they are watching is truly  "Jewish".

Putting aside the content of this particular video, I think that your suggestion and logic is flawed. No one ever gave Meir Key a hashgacha. He never once made a claim that everything he does is approved by the beis din in crown heights or anywhere else. You anger is that you allowed yourself to consider Meir Kay Kosher, and he turned out a "Traif" video, destroying your trust.

Clearly Meir has been putting out content similar (albeit minus the gay couple part) for years. He's also been invited to the Kinus, and to do the Kosher Superbowl halftime show with Nachum Segal. If others think like you, he may not be invited back.

But the moral of this story is - if you're concerned about what your kids are watching, you probably need to do a better job of monitoring them.

Offline yitz1000

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »
I clicked on the TT DDF notification that I received for this unfortunate video. I will not watch it though as I see nothing to gain. TY for the insight.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »
I think you and I have very different opinions of what constitutes a chillul hashem. Let me ask you this - what really offends you in this video? That he's helping people celebrate valentines day? That he is giving a shred of humanity to some homeless individuals, or the fact that they are gay?

I'm guessing it's the last one. If not, you wouldn't be complaining right here and now, you would've complained about his superbowl parties.
What "offends" me? Well let's see....maybe the fact that such actively is highly problematic as per an open verse in the Torah...does that make any sense?

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 01:17:07 PM »
Source?
For starters, if Hashem calls something an abomination, then we should concur. It's very logical. 

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
What "offends" me? Well let's see....maybe the fact that such actively is highly problematic as per an open verse in the Torah...does that make any sense?
Again, you're speculating, and evenif true, is only about the individuals in the video, not Meir K. While he shouldn't be advocating for, or showing approval for it, you can hardly say it's straight out against the Torah.

For starters, if Hashem calls something an abomination, then we should concur. It's very logical. 
So you're taking over for Chazal/Gemara/Mishna and all others who contributed to giving us an understanding of the Torah? Again, even if so, None of this refers to someone who associates with the individual, it's solely about the individuals engaging in these acts.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »
Firstly, the Torah says lots of things, but not all of them can be instated in the times we live in.
True. Beth Din can not execute people today. Therefore?
While your point is correct, how do you know if these individuals engage in prohibited sexual acts?
Huh? That's typically what such people do. And even if not, they are very proud of the culture.
Assuming they do, what's that got to do with Meir Kay? So hate him for the associating with individuals you assume are doing something the torah (supposedly) says you should hate?
You just contradicted yourself. Anyway, the point is that he should take the video down and apologize. Oh, and the Torah uses the word "abomination".
To your last point, You are telling him what to do based on your opinion. I agree, He should not have made this video, or associated with these individuals as a practicing Jew, But that's up to him, and I can't tell him not to.
Why can't you tell him not to? Its a free country.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
Putting aside the content of this particular video, I think that your suggestion and logic is flawed. No one ever gave Meir Key a hashgacha. He never once made a claim that everything he does is approved by the beis din in crown heights or anywhere else. You anger is that you allowed yourself to consider Meir Kay Kosher, and he turned out a "Traif" video, destroying your trust.

Clearly Meir has been putting out content similar (albeit minus the gay couple part) for years. He's also been invited to the Kinus, and to do the Kosher Superbowl halftime show with Nachum Segal. If others think like you, he may not be invited back.
Ok so other people haven't made an issue about it. Maybe they feel that it hasn't reached a level worthy of making an issue about it. Whatever their opinion, I think this video pushed things much further than anything prior.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »

True. Beth Din can not execute people today. Therefore?Huh? That's typically what such people do. And even if not, they are very proud of the culture. You just contradicted yourself. Anyway, the point is that he should take the video down and apologize. Oh, and the Torah uses the word "abomination". Why can't you tell him not to? Its a free country.
You clearly are missing the point here. All good. Whether they engage in these acts or not, (you can assume all you want, but don't know) that's on them, not Meir K. Being proud of the culture is a problem? For a non Jew, it would be hard to say that approving of this is an actual sin, if they aren't engaging.

How exactly did I contradict myself? I was quoting you on the term "hate" I know darn well what the Torah says.

Go ahead, tell him not to.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »
YOU aren't bothered b the whole idea of him celebrating a Catholic holiday?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
Again, you're speculating, and evenif true, is only about the individuals in the video, not Meir K.
So you feel the need to underscore that it is the people in the video, not Meir K., that are involved in such behavior. I don't think anyone thought otherwise.
While he shouldn't be advocating for, or showing approval for it, you can hardly say it's straight out against the Torah.
Are you serious? Let's say an Orthodox Jew advocates or shows approval for driving cars on Shabbos. Your argument would be that since he himself does not drive on Shabbos, there is nothing wrong with such behavior. It's unfortunate that such sad and illogical opinions exist out there.
you're taking over for Chazal/Gemara/Mishna and all others who contributed to giving us an understanding of the Torah?
I don't know what you mean about" taking over".
Again, even if so, None of this refers to someone who associates with the individual, it's solely about the individuals engaging in these acts.
See above. You are completely wrong.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2020, 01:39:56 PM »
YOU aren't bothered b the whole idea of him celebrating a Catholic holiday?
Of course not. This guy has proven several times on the forums that his opinions are strong and embedded with very little consistency or basis.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »
Wow. Im going to wrap this up due to your unbelievable inability to ever see the other side of anything. An open mind can help grow your own...

So you feel the need to underscore that it is the people in the video, not Meir K., that are involved in such behavior. I don't think anyone thought otherwise.
You're kidding, right? This whole thread was directed toward him, who al pi halacha probably did nothing wrong, although it was definitely not in the spirit of Judaism. (I'm not a posek, so I may be wrong here, but if you wish to refute, bring a source)

Are you serious? Let's say an Orthodox Jew advocates or shows approval for driving cars on Shabbos. Your argument would be that since he himself does not drive on Shabbos, there is nothing wrong with such behavior. It's unfortunate that such sad and illogical opinions exist out there.
Jeez, you just can't comprehend. I specifically said the it's not "straight out against the Torah" that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. He's in a far better place the the transgressor though.

You are completely wrong.
Source? (still waiting on the previous one by the way)

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »
You clearly are missing the point here. All good. Whether they engage in these acts or not, (you can assume all you want, but don't know)
Again, people who act that way typically engage in such behavior. Even if they don't, they clearly are acting as if they do.
that's on them, not Meir K.
It's on Meir K. for making a video about it. Why is that so difficult to understand?
For a non Jew, it would be hard to say that approving of this is an actual sin, if they aren't engaging. [/size]
Good question. Do non-Jews have Lifnei Iver on the 7 mitzvos. But Meir is the main point here not them.
Go ahead, tell him not to.
That's what I did

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
Interesting how he's getting blasted in the YouTube comments but overwhelming love on Instagram with the exact same post. His Twitter is moribund so not even worth looking there. He is averaging around 5-10k views for each of his YT videos in the past year which has been trending down for some time and with 256k subs, that's really sort of shocking. Maybe he's just decided to change direction to his IG audience. Follow the $