Author Topic: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology  (Read 49598 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Meir Key should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
For starters, if Hashem calls something an abomination, then we should concur. It's very logical.

I don't profess to be an halachic authority, but I'm just not sure that quite cuts the mustard.  So far as I'm aware, HaShem proscribed homosexual relations.  That the Torah may have referred to relations as an abomination does not ipso facto render activities short of that activity an abomination of the same or even similar magnitude, your own feelings of logic notwithstanding.

Either you have a source that two men having feelings for one another or even romantically holding hands is an abomination--or you don't.  I don't know where the science is on this currently, and frankly, it doesn't really much matter, as the fact remains that some people have a preference for the same sex.  G-d recognizes this and says, essentially, "I get it, you have these feelings, it's a struggle--just like many things in life--but relations are still off limits."

It would seem to me that what's really going on here is that you are projecting the anger that would more appropriately be directed inward (for failing to properly supervise your children -- I mean, seriously, brother, who lets their children run amok on YouTube??) and instead projecting it outward (on same random YouTuber who apparently comes down on this issue differently).

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2020, 02:02:32 PM »
You're kidding, right?
Nope.
This whole thread was directed toward him, who al pi halacha probably did nothing wrong, although it was definitely not in the spirit of Judaism. (I'm not a posek, so I may be wrong here, but if you wish to refute, bring a source) [/size]
I'm not so sure that no halacha was violated, but not being in the spirit of Judiasm is bad enough.
Jeez, you just can't comprehend. I specifically said the it's not "straight out against the Torah" that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it.
No need to twist yourself into a pretzel here. The video does fly in the face of what the Torah holds dear.
He's in a far better place the the transgressor though.[/size]
Therefore?
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »
J***, you just can't comprehend.
I would recommend avoiding that terminology.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
I don't profess to be an halachic authority, but I'm just not sure that quite cuts the mustard.  So far as I'm aware, HaShem proscribed homosexual relations.  That the Torah may have referred to relations as an abomination does not ipso facto render activities short of that activity an abomination of the same or even similar magnitude, your own feelings of logic notwithstanding.

Either you have a source that two men having feelings for one another or even romantically holding hands is an abomination--or you don't.  I don't know where the science is on this currently, and frankly, it doesn't really much matter, as the fact remains that some people have a preference for the same sex.  G-d recognizes this and says, essentially, "I get it, you have these feelings, it's a struggle--just like many things in life--but relations are still off limits."

It would seem to me that what's really going on here is that you are projecting the anger that would more appropriately be directed inward (for failing to properly supervise your children -- I mean, seriously, brother, who lets their children run amok on YouTube??) and instead projecting it outward (on same random YouTuber who apparently comes down on this issue differently).

I would imagine that it would be considered maase eretz mitzrayim similar to noshim misolilos.
Either way, without having seen it but rather based on the description, the video is horrible. Considering that the only one who seems to have the laxity in viewing or allowing to view anything labeled Jewish is @Shkop i don't see how publicizing this garbage to a crowd who probably would never have seen it otherwise and if they would have will not care about @Shkop commenting about it anyhow.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:17:20 PM by aygart »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »
I would imagine that it would be considered maase eretz mitzrayim similar to noshim misolilos
TIL "Prohibited homosexual activity includes any non-platonic physical contact; even yichud (seclusion) with someone of the same gender is forbidden for homosexually active individuals"

https://www.torahweb.org/torah/special/2010/homosexuality.html

Although I'm not sure how that translates into halacha.

Am I allowed to be alone with someone who's out of the closet or is that yichud?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2020, 02:18:17 PM »
Nope.I'm not so sure that no halacha was violated, but not being in the spirit of Judiasm is bad enough. No need to twist yourself into a pretzel here. The video does fly in the face of what the Torah holds dear.Therefore?
So associating with someone who isn't in the spirit of the torah is enough to justify speaking loshon hara about them? Noted.

I would recommend avoiding that terminology.
I've spoken my piece on this before.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
I don't profess to be an halachic authority, but I'm just not sure that quite cuts the mustard.  So far as I'm aware, HaShem proscribed homosexual relations. That the Torah may have referred to relations as an abomination does not ipso facto render activities short of that activity an abomination of the same or even similar magnitude, your own feelings of logic notwithstanding.
You are inferring that the Torah may actually not refer to such relations as an abomination. That is false.
Even if promoting an abominative activity does not rise to the level of actually engaging in such behavior, it still is highly problematic for Jews who actually care about following both the Torah and the spirit of the Torah. Besides, Meir himself wrote that he found such a couple for his video, so not sure why you feel the need to split hairs.
the fact remains that some people have a preference for the same sex.  G-d recognizes this and says, essentially, "I get it, you have these feelings, it's a struggle--just like many things in life--but relations are still off limits."
Good point. One who unfortunately has such a preference leads a difficult life. No doubt that if he controls himself he will merit a lot of Gan Eden. This world is an Olam Hafuch. We think certain people will be highest in Gan Eden, however we will be very much surprised about how it will actually turn out. (And no, I do not mean to insinuate that someone who actually violates Torah will be higher in Gan Eden than someone who does not. I mean that those who struggle to keep the Torah aren't always recognized properly in this world. They may in fact be greater than those who keep the Torah without any particular difficulty.)
Interesting but incorrect

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »
I would imagine that it would be considered maase eretz mitzrayim similar to noshim misolilos.
Either way, without having seen it but rather based on the description, the video is horrible. Considering that the only one who seems to have the laxity in viewing or allowing to view anything labeled Jewish is @Shkop i don't see how publicizing this garbage to a crowd who probably would never have seen it otherwise and if they would have will not care about @Shkop commenting about it anyhow.
That's funny cuz all sorts of videos are being posted on the DD Forums all the time....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2020, 02:23:46 PM »
Closing in on 500 views on this thread in just 2 hours. Hundreds of video views from people like myself that would have never been exposed to it otherwise.

Meir should send you a thank you rose for the publicity!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
Closing in on 500 views on this thread in just 2 hours. Hundreds of video views from people that would have never been exposed to it otherwise.

Meir should send you some money for the publicity!
FTFY

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »
TIL "Prohibited homosexual activity includes any non-platonic physical contact; even yichud (seclusion) with someone of the same gender is forbidden for homosexually active individuals"

https://www.torahweb.org/torah/special/2010/homosexuality.html

Although I'm not sure how that translates into halacha.

Am I allowed to be alone with someone who's out of the closet or is that yichud?
This is not a sugyo which I have gone through well, but it seems to be assur.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
Closing in on 500 views on this thread in just 2 hours. Hundreds of video views from people like myself that would have never been exposed to it otherwise.
Meir should send you a thank you rose for the publicity!
That's an argument that can be made in many cases where there is a good reason to speak up about something.
If he wants to take it down, he can. That would end the issue of getting more views.
He can also not care. Of-course he will have to give a din vcheshbon about it in front of the Bes Din Shel Maalah

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
So associating with someone who isn't in the spirit of the torah is enough to justify speaking loshon hara about them? Noted.

I've spoken my piece on this before.
This video is more than simple association

I don't remember the discussion, if I had seen it at all, but it is, at the very least, distasteful.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
That's an argument that can be made in many cases where there is a good reason to speak up about something.
That is true. What do you feel the guidelines of how to way benefit vs. detriment should be?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
If he wants to take it down, he can. That would end the issue of getting more views.
He can also not care. Of-course he will have to give a din vcheshbon about it in front of the Bes Din Shel Maalah
Did you try messaging him directly?
What is the purpose of this thread if he won't care?
Other than exposing more people to the video and the L"H?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »
That's funny cuz all sorts of videos are being posted on the DD Forums all the time....
There is a reason that I included the end of the sentence. Someone who will use whether or not a video was posted on DDF as a guidline for anything has much more serious issues.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »
What is the purpose of this thread if he won't care?

To make @Shkop feel good?

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
That is true. What do you feel the guidelines of how to way benefit vs. detriment should be?
I don't know what the guidelines should be or if it is possible to articulate specific guidelines.
I would venture to say that it is something best played by ear.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
Did you try messaging him directly?
Good point. Perhaps I should have messaged him directly first, although I highly doubt he would take it down. He wrote glowingly about how this video was the right thing to do.
What is the purpose of this thread if he won't care? Other than exposing more people to the video and the L"H?
Maybe he will care if many people are talking about it. Also, even if he doesn't care, at least we should care.