Author Topic: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology  (Read 50512 times)

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »

With the Tzitzis hanging out trying to put on the mainstream orthodox/yeshivish look. Dispicable. At least do it in jeans and a hoodie or something.
do the majority of non Jews understand the difference in dress? If he's wearing a yarmulke I don't think the pants matter that much

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »
do the majority of non Jews understand the difference in dress? If he's wearing a yarmulke I don't think the pants matter that much
I think they view someone looking "ultra-orthodox" differently than modern-orthodox.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »

With the Tzitzis hanging out trying to put on the mainstream orthodox/yeshivish look. Dispicable. At least do it in jeans and a hoodie or something.

The humanity of it is beautiful, not despicable to me at all. I do wonder about his halachic basis, maybe you’d feel differently if it was t someone (visibly?) Jewish doing this.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2021, 12:53:13 PM »

The humanity of it is beautiful, not despicable to me at all.

That's what the reform said about having no mechitza.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2021, 01:02:39 PM »

That's what the reform said about having no mechitza.

And I couldn’t care less whether other religions have a mechitza or not. Personally I’d feel bad for anyone reform nowadays, they’re usually ill advised and indoctrinated in fallacy. If they did something I thought was beautiful I’d see it as such while being able to separate it from halachic deviations which I would take issue with. 

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
And I couldn’t care less whether other religions have a mechitza or not. Personally I’d feel bad for anyone reform nowadays, they’re usually ill advised and indoctrinated in fallacy. If they did something I thought was beautiful I’d see it as such while being able to separate it from halachic deviations which I would take issue with.

The halachic deviation in and of itself shows us it is decidedly not beautiful, despite the fact that it might appear beautiful at the surface.

Perhaps the halachic deviations reveal to us that what appears to be a beautiful human experience is a shallow, empty expression designed to garner clicks and reaction without any real or positive impact.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
it so easy to criticize the other, the guy never said that he represents any type of jew.

yes, he does it for click or not, it doesn't matter.

live and let live!

and I agree, it so beautiful the last video that he did, specifically in this timing. again, my opinion. you don't need to agree :)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »
Just wait till the next time someone assaults or is part of AS activity & says “I’m not an antisemite. I even hugged a Jew”.

Offline neveryou

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2021, 01:49:13 PM »

it so easy to criticize the other, the guy never said that he represents any type of jew.

But the way he dressed shows that he is representing orthodox
The way he is in the video is not how he dresses regularly, so by putting on those clothes he is trying to represent something

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
The halachic deviation in and of itself shows us it is decidedly not beautiful, despite the fact that it might appear beautiful at the surface.

Perhaps the halachic deviations reveal to us that what appears to be a beautiful human experience is a shallow, empty expression designed to garner clicks and reaction without any real or positive impact.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

If what you’re suggesting is true and this is simply a virtue signaling publicity stunt then I too would call it despicable, but from my perspective that has nothing to do with the Halachic aspect. Or to say it differently I might wonder about both but wouldn’t jump to calling it despicable.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2021, 01:53:31 PM »

But the way he dressed shows that he is representing orthodox
The way he is in the video is not how he dresses regularly, so by putting on those clothes he is trying to represent something

You have a valid point here, based on what I’ve observed in his other content.

Offline yzj

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »

yes, he does it for click or not, it doesn't matter.

live and let live!

and I agree, it so beautiful the last video that he did, specifically in this timing. again, my opinion. you don't need to agree :)
When the normal mode of attire is jeans and a graphic T (or bare chested with a beach girl) and he puts on the white dress shirt and slacks with Tzitzis swinging for the hugs it’s intentional,  to make a statement about those who dress that way and no, that is not ok.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #212 on: May 30, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »

One need not claim to represent a group when you know people think you represent said group, especially when you have used your background to gain a following.

live and let live!

What does let live mean? I don't begrudge him his clicks or want him to take down the video, apologize, or do anything of the sort. I'm just responding to someone who claimed something was beautiful and I expressed that I felt it was less so.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2021, 01:59:57 PM »
If what you’re suggesting is true and this is simply a virtue signaling publicity stunt then I too would call it despicable, but from my perspective that has nothing to do with the Halachic aspect. Or to say it differently I might wonder about both but wouldn’t jump to calling it despicable.

Of course it's a publicity stunt. That's what he does. No original ideas, mind you, just borrows things that went viral (blindfolded hugging in this instance) and puts his own spin on it (visible Jew in this instance).

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
Meir Kay doesn't represent any branch of Judaism, nor does he claim to. He dressed the way he did in this clip to make it very obvious that he is a religious Jew (which he is). The whole point of this production was for people to see and give love to/from someone who is visibly and proudly Jewish. If your issue is that he looks too much like you and you feel misrepresented, G-d bless you. I'd like to see the same indignation about the way Chaim Deutsch dresses, or anyone else being led away by police or standing behind a defense table in court.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »
Of course it's a publicity stunt. That's what he does. No original ideas, mind you, just borrows things that went viral (blindfolded hugging in this instance) and puts his own spin on it (visible Jew in this instance).

Very sad if true. Makes it more pathetic than despicable though.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
Meir Kay doesn't represent any branch of Judaism, nor does he claim to. He dressed the way he did in this clip to make it very obvious that he is a religious Jew (which he is). The whole point of this production was for people to see and give love to/from someone who is visibly and proudly Jewish. If your issue is that he looks too much like you and you feel misrepresented, G-d bless you. I'd like to see the same indignation about the way Chaim Deutsch dresses, or anyone else being led away by police or standing behind a defense table in court.
My account was hacked.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yzj

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 30, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »
I wouldn’t have any problem if he put on a big Na Nach kippah, and a T-shirt that said “I am a proud Jew”. We all know why he chose this particular attire. It’s misrepresenting the way those who wear that particular attire behave.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #218 on: May 30, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »
I wouldn’t have any problem if he put on a big Na Nach kippah, and a T-shirt that said “I am a proud Jew”. We all know why he chose this particular attire. It’s misrepresenting the way those who wear that particular attire behave.

Your issue isn't that he looks Orthodox (let him look Breslev!) or that he may be violating Halacha. You don't like that he looks like you. Get over yourself. There are a lot of people who look like you who do a lot worse and with worse intentions.

Meir Kay is theater. Anyone who has seen more than one of his clips knows that. Don't like it? Stop consuming media that isn't intended for you.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
Your issue isn't that he looks Orthodox (let him look Breslev!) or that he may be violating Halacha. You don't like that he looks like you. Get over yourself. There are a lot of people who look like you who do a lot worse and with worse intentions.

Meir Kay is theater. Anyone who has seen more than one of his clips knows that. Don't like it? Stop consuming media that isn't intended for you.
I think that people are upset that he specifically dressed up to misrepresent himself as being like them, similar to the discussion in the missionary thread.
Feelings don't care about your facts