Author Topic: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology  (Read 49544 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Meir Kay should take down the homosexual video and issue an apology
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »
I think that people are upset that he specifically dressed up to misrepresent himself as being like them, similar to the discussion in the missionary thread.

I promise he has dressed like that when there weren't any cameras around, too. His yarmulkah and  tzitzis are on display pretty regularly. He wanted to stand out, not blend in, so he dressed in black and white. I'm not sure why people have decided who he is and how this misrepresents that. I can't know what he was thinking, but I'd bet my bottom dollar Lakewood didn't cross his mind.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2021, 02:38:19 PM »
I promise he has dressed like that when there weren't any cameras around, too. His yarmulkah and  tzitzis are on display pretty regularly. He wanted to stand out, not blend in, so he dressed in black and white. I'm not sure why people have decided who he is and how this misrepresents that. I can't know what he was thinking, but I'd bet my bottom dollar Lakewood didn't cross his mind.
The video is blocked on my computer so I have no idea what they are discussing but this was my impression from them.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2021, 02:46:13 PM »
Meir Kay doesn't represent any branch of Judaism, nor does he claim to. He dressed the way he did in this clip to make it very obvious that he is a religious Jew (which he is). The whole point of this production was for people to see and give love to/from someone who is visibly and proudly Jewish. If your issue is that he looks too much like you and you feel misrepresented, G-d bless you. I'd like to see the same indignation about the way Chaim Deutsch dresses, or anyone else being led away by police or standing behind a defense table in court.

Not sure why you think he should not be criticized. He is openly violating Halacha. The idea that other do something wrong somehow makes this right makes no sense.

Btw, when a Jew criticizes another it should not be because he feels threatened or the like rather we should recognize that it is part and parcel of veahavta liriacha kamocha, and kol Yisrael areivim.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2021, 02:47:37 PM »
Your issue isn't that he looks Orthodox (let him look Breslev!) or that he may be violating Halacha. You don't like that he looks like you. Get over yourself. There are a lot of people who look like you who do a lot worse and with worse intentions.

Meir Kay is theater. Anyone who has seen more than one of his clips knows that. Don't like it? Stop consuming media that isn't intended for you.
It bothers me when any orthodox person hugs his girlfriend or a random woman in the street. But I’m not out to change the world. This is different.
He doesn’t look like me. He is pretending to look like me to associate his actions with me. It wasn’t intended to only be viewed as a theater clip. It was forwarded to a huge number of WhatsApp groups by people who have no clue that it’s theater and think it’s just beautiful that a guy that looks like that is bringing love to the world. Many expressing how it brings tears to their eyes etc.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:53:56 PM by yzj »

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »
I also have a strong opinion on this that I was about to post. but then I was thinking Isn't discussing this here loshon Hora, which the sin might be just as great.  You feel like he is misrepresenting you and your community? Then send him a message and start a dialog with him.
#TYH

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »
The video is blocked on my computer so I have no idea what they are discussing but this was my impression from them.
I'll post two screenshots from the beginning of the video - you can imagine what happens next...

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2021, 02:59:08 PM »
Good old Hungarian פוי will suffice

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2021, 03:04:38 PM »
Not sure why you think he should not be criticized. He is openly violating Halacha. The idea that other do something wrong somehow makes this right makes no sense.

Btw, when a Jew criticizes another it should not be because he feels threatened or the like rather we should recognize that it is part and parcel of veahavta liriacha kamocha, and kol Yisrael areivim.

I didn't say he shouldn't be criticized or that what he's doing is good. I'm not a Meir Kay fan. I think he's Shlomo Carlebach with a different medium. I have an issue with the complaints being made and the pretentiousness of the argument, as if some people have a monopoly on white shirts with tzitzis sticking out. I'm old enough to remember when Lubavitchers were mocked for having their tzitzis out. Now they need to wear jeans and hoodies.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
It bothers me when any orthodox person hugs his girlfriend or a random woman in the street. But I’m not out to change the world. This is different.
He doesn’t look like me. He is pretending to look like me to associate his actions with me. It wasn’t intended to only be viewed as a theater clip. It was forwarded to a huge number of WhatsApp groups by people who have no clue that it’s theater and think it’s just beautiful that a guy that looks like that is bringing love to the world. Many expressing how it brings tears to their eyes etc.

He's not trying to be you or look like you.
Get over yourself.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
I didn't say he shouldn't be criticized or that what he's doing is good. I'm not a Meir Kay fan. I think he's Shlomo Carlebach with a different medium.

From what was posted earlier today it doesn’t seem like he’s anything close to Shlomo Carlebach...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
From what was posted earlier today it doesn’t seem like he’s anything close to Shlomo Carlebach...

Probably not. That's just a name that comes to mind when I think of performers hugging women publicly in the name of a greater good.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2021, 03:12:46 PM »
Probably not. That's just a name that comes to mind when I think of performers hugging women publicly in the name of a greater good.

In SC’s case it might very well not have been in the name of greater good...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2021, 03:14:04 PM »
The halachic deviation in and of itself shows us it is decidedly not beautiful, despite the fact that it might appear beautiful at the surface.

Perhaps the halachic deviations reveal to us that what appears to be a beautiful human experience is a shallow, empty expression designed to garner clicks and reaction without any real or positive impact.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Just to clarify, I was posting as to my thoughts on how beautiful it is. I don't have an issue with him personally, and neither do I think the video is "despicable" or whatever.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2021, 03:16:52 PM »
I wouldn’t have any problem if he put on a big Na Nach kippah, and a T-shirt that said “I am a proud Jew”. We all know why he chose this particular attire. It’s misrepresenting the way those who wear that particular attire behave.

LOL, kinda outing yourself on the whole "don't want him to look frum" vs "I don't want him to look like me" thing.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
I didn't say he shouldn't be criticized or that what he's doing is good. I'm not a Meir Kay fan. I think he's Shlomo Carlebach with a different medium. I have an issue with the complaints being made and the pretentiousness of the argument, as if some people have a monopoly on white shirts with tzitzis sticking out. I'm old enough to remember when Lubavitchers were mocked for having their tzitzis out. Now they need to wear jeans and hoodies.

I don’t think people had an issue with what he was wearing. The issue was what he was doing while wearing it.

To illustrate, soldiers are meant to behave in a certain fashion even if some behaviors are not proper for a civilian when done by a soldier it makes it that much worse. For example, the story of yidden beating a random Arab in the street that was bad, imagine it was soldiers in uniform....
How much more so here.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »
LOL, kinda outing yourself on the whole "don't want him to look frum" vs "I don't want him to look like me" thing.

Which also implies “It bothers me that he’s doing the wrong thing” vs. “it bothers me that what he’s doing makes me look bad”

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2021, 03:22:10 PM »
It’s pretty simple. It’s not me. It’s not satmar. It’s not chabad. It’s not mainstream Breslov. Don’t make yourself look like a segment of frum Jewry who aren’t doing the hugging thing.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »
It’s pretty simple. It’s not me. It’s not satmar. It’s not chabad. It’s not mainstream Breslov. Don’t make yourself look like a segment of frum Jewry who aren’t doing the hugging thing.

You’re making it sound like any of the other segments you listed by name officially do the hugging thing

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2021, 03:26:36 PM »
I don’t think people had an issue with what he was wearing. The issue was what he was doing while wearing it.

To illustrate, soldiers are meant to behave in a certain fashion even if some behaviors are not proper for a civilian when done by a soldier it makes it that much worse. For example, the story of yidden beating a random Arab in the street that was bad, imagine it was soldiers in uniform....
How much more so here.

Read the thread. People definitely had an issue with how he was dressed. And I get the whole uniform thing... I've banged on that drum myself more than once around here. Apparently the argument holds more weight in theater than real life.

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2021, 03:27:47 PM »
You’re making it sound like any of the other segments you listed by name officially do the hugging thing
I meant the opposite. It’s not an issue of him looking like me. It’s intentionally looking like Jews that don’t hug and hugging.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:30:50 PM by yzj »