Author Topic: Rav Kav Questions  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Rav Kav Questions
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but...

I am going to Israel next week for literally a week, and I was curious about Rav Kav.  I will be mainly taking the inner city buses light rail in Jerusalem, but also spending a day in Tel-Aviv and expecting to use the train to get to and from the airport and Tel-Aviv.

Is there a seven-day Rav Kav that I can use for the week? If so how much does it cost? Can I use the NFC in my Android phone to pay or do I need to get a physical card?

Online yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
Re: Rav Kav Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
im based in bklyn and can lend you mine if you need
i dont think they have a 7 day unlimited pass

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
So I found this - https://ravkavonline.co.il/en/public-transport-in-israel

What I learned from it:
- You can buy a weekly pass for 64 Shek, or a daily for 13.50 - but it seems this is only inner city, so won't help me on the way to Tel-Aviv.
- You can pre-pay for stored value you get 1.25 for every Shekel - it seems that 30=37.5 and 50=62.50

I am assuming I can pick up one at a kiosk at the airport.
I also assume that if I buy stored value, I can swipe multiple times - i.e. for me and my kids traveling with me, as opposed to each of us needing a card.

im based in bklyn and can lend you mine if you need
i dont think they have a 7 day unlimited pass

Thank you for your generous offer - don't think I'll be in brooklyn (or anywhere near it) before I leave.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but...

I am going to Israel next week for literally a week, and I was curious about Rav Kav.  I will be mainly taking the inner city buses light rail in Jerusalem, but also spending a day in Tel-Aviv and expecting to use the train to get to and from the airport and Tel-Aviv.

Is there a seven-day Rav Kav that I can use for the week? If so how much does it cost? Can I use the NFC in my Android phone to pay or do I need to get a physical card?

I don't think there's any pass that'll help you across all services: if I understand correctly, although your Rav Kav is used to store ערך צבור (stored value) that can be used on public transit all over Israel, the city busses, intercity trains, and non-egged intercity busses are all operated by different companies that have their own fares and just deduct from your stored value.

You cannot pay with NFC, though you can use the Rav Kav app to load your Rav Kav from your NFC device.

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 12:09:09 PM »
I also assume that if I buy stored value, I can swipe multiple times - i.e. for me and my kids traveling with me, as opposed to each of us needing a card.
On the bus-yes. On the Jerusalem Light Rail-no, each person needs a Rav Kav, or else you need to buy paper tickets on the platform for everyone else. On the train from the airport-idk.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
Thanks @Yehudaa - this is really helpful. One more for you - is there an initial fee for the card, or do I get the card for free - and simply need to load money onto it?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »
I don't think the stored value works on all operators.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »
FYI a weekly pass isn’t a 7-day pass. It goes by Sunday-Motzaei Shabbos, not 7 days from when you buy it.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »
Thanks @Yehudaa - this is really helpful. One more for you - is there an initial fee for the card, or do I get the card for free - and simply need to load money onto it?
Anonymous cards are ~6 shekel.

Cards with your photo on it are free, and value can be recovered if card is lost, but you have to go to one of their locations and fill out an application, which can entail long lines. I'm not sure about weekly passes on anonymous rav kavs, AFAIK you need a personalized card for monthly passes, though maybe weekly passes are different

If you're just there for a week I'd just buy an anonymous one. You should be able to buy one at the airport, I think it's right after customs.

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 12:37:09 PM »
I don't think the stored value works on all operators.
Any idea which ones it doesn't work on?

FYI a weekly pass isn’t a 7-day pass. It goes by Sunday-Motzaei Shabbos, not 7 days from when you buy it.
Good to know, I've never used a weekly pass.

Same with monthly passes. If you buy in the middle of the month you pay for a full month but only get service for half a month :)

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »

Cards with your photo on it are free, and value can be recovered if card is lost, but you have to go to one of their locations and fill out an application, which can entail long lines. I'm not sure about weekly passes on anonymous rav kavs, AFAIK you need a personalized card for monthly passes, though maybe weekly passes are different

If you're just there for a week I'd just buy an anonymous one. You should be able to buy one at the airport, I think it's right after customs.

That's what I plan on doing. I am going to literally be on the ground for about 5.5 days - it doesn't seem like the weekly is a good fit. 

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 02:48:31 PM »
When i was in Jerusalem 2 years ago I was able to buy Rav Kav anonymous card on the bus and load only the required fare for that ride. I wasnt able to find a location to refill the card so ended up buying a new card every time i used the bus... Have a whole collection now... :o

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 02:57:37 PM »
When i was in Jerusalem 2 years ago I was able to buy Rav Kav anonymous card on the bus and load only the required fare for that ride. I wasnt able to find a location to refill the card so ended up buying a new card every time i used the bus... Have a whole collection now... :o
You can reload the card at like every store and half the atms. I would not rely on the android app to reload btw, I've found it can be finicky. You can always reload at the train stop though so it should be pretty easy.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »

That office also does photo cards and seldom has a wait. (Of course, they’re experts at convincing people to not get it because it’s more work for them.)
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »
You can reload the card at like every store and half the atms. I would not rely on the android app to reload btw, I've found it can be finicky. You can always reload at the train stop though so it should be pretty easy.
I agree about the app. That was my main issue. I dont remember why i couldnt find a store to reload... And we didnt use the train station so that was out...

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 02:59:40 PM »
Can someone purchase a Rav Kav in Ben Gurion airport upon arrival?
If yes, how about one with a picture?
Thanks.

Online Moshe Green

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 04:40:35 PM »
Thanks.

i don't know if you can or not but its good to know the new way rav kavs work:

1) no more cash to the driver. only rav kav or app on your smart phone
2) theres 3 plans you can get: one time fare, free the whole day, and free for the month
each of these has 4 plans with set prices. theres 0-15 km, 15-40km, 40-75km, 75-225km
3) big cities are exceptions to the rule and beitat, yerushalayim, kiryat sefer, elad, telaviv, benei braq and a few other places do not have monthly plan for 0-15km
4) all 0-15 one time uses have a maavar which means free use up to 90 minutes from when you first got on the bus.
5) for use of trains (not light rail) you need to pay a bit more.
heres the webiste to check it out more: https://ravkavonline.co.il/en/store/search?canBeSold=false&ett=20&vpt=monthly_flexible&isAnonymous=false&forProfile=0&reformAreas=&terms=&odm=NOT_USED

Offline Kabrams1618

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 06:53:45 PM »
I just got second Hofshi artzi ( monthly 225 sh. Pass).
The first one ran August 1- August 31.
I bought a new one last night ( August31) and the receipt says good August 31 until September 29.
Since I use the bus very early in the morning I couldn’t wait until september 1 to buy the new one.
The old monthly pass gave you a few days before and after the month to buy the card for the entire next month.
Is this new card just valid for 30 days from the date of purchase even if it overlaps with the previous purchase.?
Can you buy in the middle of a month and get 30 days from that point?
Any experiences?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 07:10:48 PM »
Thanks.
Yes & yes.

Online Moshe Green

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 03:14:55 AM »
I just got second Hofshi artzi ( monthly 225 sh. Pass).
The first one ran August 1- August 31.
I bought a new one last night ( August31) and the receipt says good August 31 until September 29.
Since I use the bus very early in the morning I couldn’t wait until september 1 to buy the new one.
The old monthly pass gave you a few days before and after the month to buy the card for the entire next month.
Is this new card just valid for 30 days from the date of purchase even if it overlaps with the previous purchase.?
Can you buy in the middle of a month and get 30 days from that point?
Any experiences?

my son's last month said it was only good til august 30 but yesterday he used it fine.