Author Topic: AA Class Action Lawsuit  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
AA Class Action Lawsuit
« on: February 27, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
As everyone is knows there has been an unprecedented amount of shutdowns from American Airlines over past 2 months. People with millions of miles having shut down for using mailers, some have even been shutdown for donating their miles.

A group of individuals have over the past month spoken to many lawyers to find the path forward and have decided to go forward with a Class Action Lawsuit.

Below is a Google form for those that have been affected. I do not have access to any info that is coming through, so please don't PM me for confirmation.

Thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i6zRFnTP9j0n9-PSywkKQSCbJ1pOPSax9wc20YlRhEQ/edit

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: AA Class Action Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
Odds of winning are tiny.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
Even if they don't win, you don't think AA will offer something to settle?
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »
Not unless they think they might lose. Which is highly unlikely due to their terms and the dereg act.

That being said, if there's no cost then there's nothing to lose.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »
They obviously feel different

Are you interested in speaking to them?
That's why they were initially thinking of just going to small claims court.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »
Not unless they think they might lose. Which is highly unlikely due to their terms and the dereg act.

All you need is for it to gain enough traction, and the bad press will be a loss for them. Who knows though.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
All you need is for it to gain enough traction, and the bad press will be a loss for them. Who knows though.

Ha. No.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »

... and not to mention that I'd guess the overwhelming majority of miles "generated" were through means that would not withstand even modest scrutiny.  Can't cry foul about getting shot when you pointed the gun at yourself and pulled the trigger.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
Ha. No.
I have 0 knowledge of these things, but I always assumed they just want to stay out of the news. As the expert here, care to give you're speculation of how this might go down? I don't know enough to really be surprised with any outcome.

ETA: I now see your above response.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »
I have 0 knowledge of these things, but I always assumed they just want to stay out of the news. As the expert here, care to give you're speculation of how this might go down? I don't know enough to really be surprised with any outcome.

Sure, I speculate it'll be a complete waste of time, effort, resources, and money (from someone).

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 01:12:14 PM »
Sure, I speculate it'll be a complete waste of time, effort, resources, and money (from someone).
Makes sense based on your last post. Any idea as to what the lawyers organizing this are thinking?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
Makes sense based on your last post. Any idea as to what the lawyers organizing this are thinking?

Nope. But as of right now, the only thing I see is a Gmail address (:o), so unless more info comes out related to the firm that thinks this is a slam dunk, I'm not even sure I need to speculate as to their thought process.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 01:29:26 PM »
This might work for people that were shutdown for donating miles to a cancer patient, not for the mailers.
... and not to mention that I'd guess the overwhelming majority of miles "generated" were through means that would not withstand even modest scrutiny.  Can't cry foul about getting shot when you pointed the gun at yourself and pulled the trigger.
The reason why they were closed down was for mailers. While some wouldn't withstand scrutiny many have legit spending.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
This might work for people that were shutdown for donating miles to a cancer patient, not for the mailers.
Now this would be a case they would settle.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »
The reason why they were closed down was for mailers. While some wouldn't withstand scrutiny many have legit spending.

I'm quite aware of why people were shut down. I stand by my statement.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »
I say they pay out to anyone who actually completed spend on their cards.....So like 5 people.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »

ETA: I now see your above response.
Actually they want exactly the opposite here, they want the news to get out that they won't tolerate what they consider abuse of their mileage program and the more people who know that the more they accomplish that mission. Not a single one of the people impacted will be able to portray themselves as a sympathetic figure in the public eye, which is all AA has to worry about.