Author Topic: Continental OnePass changes  (Read 5244 times)

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Continental OnePass changes
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »
Upcoming OnePass Changes
In conjunction with our transition to Star Alliance, we want to let you know about some exciting upcoming OnePass changes we’re making to the program — including even fewer fees for our Platinum Elite members, no more Saturday-night stay requirement for reward travel and 100% Elite Qualification Miles and Points earnings on any ticket regardless of where it was bought or issued.

Take a look at what's changing and when the new policies take effect.

Effective Oct. 1, 2009:
•     There will be no same-day change fees for Platinum Elite members for tickets purchased on or after Oct. 1, 2009.
•     As a part of our transition to Star Alliance, complimentary Elite upgrades will no longer be available on Northwest Airlines flights.

Effective Oct. 27, 2009:
•     With our planned entry into Star Alliance, mileage requirements for reward travel will be changing, effective for travel booked on or after Oct. 27, 2009. View the new Travel and Upgrade Reward Charts.
•     A Saturday-night stay is no longer required for OnePass reward travel.
•     100% Elite Qualification Miles and Elite Qualification Points can be earned on discounted fares regardless of where the ticket is purchased or issued.
•     The BusinessFirst® $100 Upgrade Co-pay will no longer be required of members using miles to upgrade from B fare class.
•     Elite bonuses will be based on the minimum mileage earned instead of the actual flight miles flown.
•     Upon our planned entry into Star Alliance, OnePass members will no longer earn Elite Qualification Miles, Elite Qualification Points or Elite mileage bonuses for travel operated by Amtrak, Emirates, EVA Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, Island Air, Kingfisher and US Helicopter.

Effective Dec. 15, 2009:
•     New reward travel fees will apply for redeposits, reservation changes and flight bookings within 21 days of departure for rewards redeemed on or after Dec. 15, 2009. Platinum Elite members will pay no fee, the Gold Elite member fee will be $25, the Silver Elite fee will be $50 and all other members will pay a fee of $75. These fees will apply per customer instead of per reservation. OnePass travel reward changes outside of 21 days of travel will remain free if there is no change to the origin and destination.

Effective Jan. 1, 2010:
•     All members worldwide will earn 125% base miles on F, C, J and D fare classes.
•     All members worldwide will earn 1.5 Elite Qualification Points when they purchase and fly in fare classes F, C, J, D, Z, Y and B on flights operated by Continental.

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Continental OnePass changes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:33:02 PM »
this i guess means no more flyin nyc --> tlv for 40k spg

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
this i guess means no more flyin nyc --> tlv for 40k spg

Whoa I must have been Fast Asleep. How were you able to convert 40k in SPG into a free NYC-TLV??

for awhile now SPG has been 2 SPG = 1 CO

add to that that its been 90k for a CO tkt to TLV and it was 70k before it was raised to 90k

so even when 1 SPG = 1 CO, 40k in SPG = 50k in CO in the best of times that was still 20k CO short for their Saver coach tkt

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »
Whoa I must have been Fast Asleep. How were you able to convert 40k in SPG into a free NYC-TLV??

for awhile now SPG has been 2 SPG = 1 CO

add to that that its been 90k for a CO tkt to TLV and it was 70k before it was raised to 90k

so even when 1 SPG = 1 CO, 40k in SPG = 50k in CO in the best of times that was still 20k CO short for their Saver coach tkt
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/3065
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/3065

Sorry that was back in 2007, for that then I remember for 50k getting 1 free 1st on TWA along with an Up to 1st on any paid tkt both usable by Me. Or I think PanAm was 70k for 2 free 1st had to used at the same time, I dont recall the exact amount

So my pt stands even if CO didnt change anything there is still no way to cash in 40k with SPG and get to TLV, nor has that been possible the past yr.

But it doesnt matter as the 40k SPG for a tkt is very long gone and if Im correct I dont remember CO being 40k and the thread is about CO and CO hasnt been below 70k in a while

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »
Sorry that was back in 2007, for that then I remember for 50k getting 1 free 1st on TWA along with an Up to 1st on any paid tkt both usable by Me. Or I think PanAm was 70k for 2 free 1st had to used at the same time, I dont recall the exact amount

So my pt stands even if CO didnt change anything there is still no way to cash in 40k with SPG and get to TLV, nor has that been possible the past yr.

But it doesnt matter as the 40k SPG for a tkt is very long gone and if Im correct I dont remember CO being 40k and the thread is about CO and CO hasnt been below 70k in a while
Did you bother reading the PDF???
You can definitely still get to TLV for 40K SPG on CO.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
Did you bother reading the PDF???
You can definitely still get to TLV for 40K SPG on CO.

I thought I did, and just did again.
What am I missing??? heres CO chart and as it states its for all ST carriers: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/rewards/travel/charts/chart_10b.aspx

so if 90k has been needed and SPG to CO is 2 SPG = 1 CO how does 1 get to TLV using CO miles for 40k SPG?? Sorry I just cant figure it out.

I realize that the PDF lists AZ and AF/KL for 50k but thats not 50k CO but 50k AZ or FlyingBlue, unless 1 was able to do a direct transfer to either from CO,  Theres some sort of SPG pkg but thats only 50k in miles that still doesnt add up to 90k

As I always say, I do NOT claim to know it ALL
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:03:59 PM by steve2 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
AZ and AF/KL will both book you on CO for 50K miles in Y or 80K in J.
I've personally booked CO TLV tickets with both of them.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:55 PM »
AZ and AF/KL will both book you on CO for 50K miles in Y or 80K in J.
I've personally booked CO TLV tickets with both of them.

See I just learnt something, but Ive always had problems trying to book on another Member when using miles from another source.

2ndly so why with COs swtiching will that change anything? Except CO wont be able to be used , shouldnt DL be able to be had? or fly from NYC on AZ or AF or KL with a stop each way in Europe?

OT, Im looking forward to your report on both DL lie-flat and Mamilla. Ill be at Mamilla over Succos Thanks *W. As for DL I just did DL in Biz to LYS and AF back. DL was a 757 and AF 777 with lie-flat. If I could have my choice Id do DL on the 757 both ways. AF seat was hard as a rock and I was able to sleep more comfortably in DLs seat then AFs lie-flat. (DLs 757 seat is not a lie-flat)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:25:31 PM by steve2 »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:07 AM »
 Dan

I checked AF out and did indeed see they have TLV in the Europe3 area so its 50k, does AF or AZ charge a fuel surcharge on award tkts that are on a ST Carrier other then their own? If yes is it per flight segment ? problem is 1 needs to Login to make a res or at least to try to

Eg Im loaded with BA miles but to use it for TLV means paying for 4 Fuel Surcharges as there are a min of 4 BA flights that are needed to get there. and we still cant use AA over The Pond with BA miles and IB either uses A 320s or its a code share on LY so no go with BA miles and I believe IB also charges a YQ on award tkts, not sure if they do if it would be BA miles. But still not really interested in flying on IB, nor say JFK-MAD-LHR-TLV

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »
Dan

I checked AF out and did indeed see they have TLV in the Europe3 area so its 50k, does AF or AZ charge a fuel surcharge on award tkts that are on a ST Carrier other then their own? If yes is it per flight segment ? problem is 1 needs to Login to make a res or at least to try to

Eg Im loaded with BA miles but to use it for TLV means paying for 4 Fuel Surcharges as there are a min of 4 BA flights that are needed to get there. and we still cant use AA over The Pond with BA miles and IB either uses A 320s or its a code share on LY so no go with BA miles and I believe IB also charges a YQ on award tkts, not sure if they do if it would be BA miles. But still not really interested in flying on IB, nor say JFK-MAD-LHR-TLV

AF does charge a fuel surcharge for CO (about $300 at last check).
AZ didn't charge a fuel surcharge for CO as of last year, but I think I read on FT that they have started.
Your best bet is probably to call them up and see for yourself what it is currently!