Poll

What did you buy to prepare for the virus?

Masks/Gloves
Sterilizer/Soap/Disinfectants
Extra water/food
Paper Towels/Toilet Paper
Nothing. It's just the flu, bro!

Author Topic: Prepping for COVID-19  (Read 26590 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Prepping for COVID-19
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 01:11:15 PM »
I've gotten some really big offers on masks, and still getting

And let me guess, you’re buying them for personal use?
I shopped the market as well, every distributor is out of stock. People flipping them are hoping to sell to governments, hospitals and other places. Can’t blame people buying for personal use for the lack of stock at distributors.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »
And let me guess, you’re buying them for personal use?
no ;)

Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »

Source

All this gibberish from the CDC, and none of it explains how it is completely useless. Maybe not effective as people think it will be, but blocking particles on a mask and learning how to remove it properly is 100x better than keeping yourself exposed and touching your face throughout the day.

The CDC is simply looking for 1) a scapegoat for not having any masks available, as if retail buyer Joe Shmoe is the problem. 2) a preemptive excuse for when the general population in the US demands masks. If you don’t need a mask, then the CDC is doing their job.
Visibly Jewish

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
no ;)
I have a feeling someone is going to end up overpaying for millions of masks and not sell them before the demand tanks.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 01:43:10 PM »
I've gotten some really big offers on masks, and still getting
Its the same truckload that keeps going in circles. Like mentioned above, when the music stops someone will be out (of a lot of money, and a warehouse full of masks)

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
Its the same truckload that keeps going in circles. Like mentioned above, when the music stops someone will be out (of a lot of money, and a warehouse full of masks)
Hey, a half a spin on the merry go round will still get you further than not getting on it at all...
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
Hey, a half a spin on the merry go round will still get you further than not getting on it at all...

The only problem is that the circle gets bigger and bigger, and if you hop on at the wrong point, you might be stuck when it stops at the wrong point.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »
The only problem is that the circle gets bigger and bigger, and if you hop on at the wrong point, you might be stuck when it stops at the wrong point.
True. But many investments are like that. Just be careful.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »
I have a feeling someone is going to end up overpaying for millions of masks and not sell them before the demand tanks.

I think production will catch up before demand tanks. Same result though.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2020, 03:48:43 PM »
Good morning all, I am sure everyone has been getting all kinds of forwards re the Coronavirus, however I received this one and personally think it makes more sense to me, that’s just my personal opinion so I am sharing

The author is James Robb, MD UC San Diego

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
My friend had Priceline rebook his TLV-FCO-NYC flight for a direct Delta flight

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
My friend had Priceline rebook his TLV-FCO-NYC flight for a direct Delta flight
That would have been nice in J
-- Dan

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2020, 06:35:25 PM »
In preparation, NYS should go back to plastic bags.  A bagger bags your groceries in your brand-spanking-new 50c bags, except that they had just picked up the virus.  Instead of tossing the bags, you keep them to reuse, spreading the virus.

Plastic is used in hospitals and other medical settings precisely because it is disposable, and helps prevent the spread of disease.  Now is not the time to force us away from it.
44/50, 46/63

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2020, 08:16:07 PM »
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

I'm sorry but this is not only wrong, it's dangerous and irresponsible. People like to quote ideas they think will make sense, but unfortunately, that's not what the science suggests.

After the SARS outbreak, there was renewed clinical interest to see if the wearing of facemasks was actually effective in reducing the transmission of respiratory viruses. There were numerous clustered prospective and randomized controlled trials that sought to evaluate if facemasks were beneficial in places with confirmed transmission risks (such as household members of a patient with confirmed influenza). There were also studies that evaluated facemask use in crowded gatherings, such as during Hajj pilgramiage. If you read these studies, you will see that the data does not support that facemasks actually statistically decrease your chances of contracting an illness in the community (while good hand hygiene on the other hand, was effective). The main likely reason in the discussions is poor compliance, meaning that even if you buy a mask, and try to use it, you're unlikely to wear it all the time you're at risk for exposure, thus making it not useful. This is contrary to when medical healthcare workers use masks, which is during shorter time periods of exposure when they are likely to be compliant.

So, as the CDC suggests, when regular people start buying and using these masks they:
1) likely confer no benefit to the person using them or others around them (the exception is if someone is sick, then they should use a mask when in public to prevent the spread of the disease)
2) decrease available masks to healthcare workers who it will actually protect. The less likely they are to get sick, the less likely they are to catch the disease and spread it to others. And if you think hospitals have an appropriate supply and will be fine you're wrong. Every major hospital in the country started stockpiling masks / conserving masks, there is currently no additional supply, and many have <2 week supply on hand.

At the end of the day, skip the mask, unless you're sick and outside, and practice good hand hygiene. The CDC isn't out to get you, they actually are giving advice at the best interest of the country as a whole, people taking it upon themselves to advise otherwise are sadly doing more harm than good.

Offline sigep0361

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »
If you need hand sanitizer, check your local Aldi. I live in Nashville and they have plenty of stock. $1.29 / bottle.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
My 2 cases are expired... >:( >:(
Do they really expire?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2020, 08:32:44 PM »
Do they really expire?

Resale value probably does.
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2020, 10:03:33 PM »
Do they really expire?
I was thinking the same thing.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »
Do they really expire?
Highly unlikely.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.