Poll

What did you buy to prepare for the virus?

Masks/Gloves
Sterilizer/Soap/Disinfectants
Extra water/food
Paper Towels/Toilet Paper
Nothing. It's just the flu, bro!

Author Topic: Prepping for COVID-19  (Read 26628 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Prepping for COVID-19
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »
Interesting to watch the percentage of people that voted no change over time.
Visibly Jewish

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2020, 01:43:18 AM »
Can someone explain the bottled water craze to me?

I don’t want to sound xenophobic or racist, but in my personal observation, the panic buying starts with people from foreign countries where food shortages are not uncommon, like China. Panicked that it will be like their home country, they come into Costco and stock up on rice in a panic, followed by water and other essentials. Other people observe this and panic too, or panic that there will be nothing left, so they also begin to stock up. This infectious behavior is then touted by the media which helps spread the panic even more.

So essentially, there are two viruses. One medical virus and one panic virus. The fact is that it’s very unsettling to see that not a single website online or store in your neighborhood has any hand sanitizer, Clorox, or other items left. That alone causes panic.

But why stop there? What if everyone rushes the banks worried about a financial collapse like the Great Depression? Shouldn’t we quickly get our cash out now while we can? Shouldn’t we buy gold? What if the power grid goes off? Shouldn’t we stock up on generators and batteries? What if we can’t obtain medicine? What about a zombie apocalypse?

The first thing we need to do is stop the damn panic.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:50:23 AM by zale »

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2020, 02:10:27 AM »
Interesting to watch the percentage of people that voted no change over time.
how do you change the vote? i really do admit to thinking @yuneeq was being way too agitated of this whole situation couple of weeks ago...  #eatingcrow
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2020, 02:12:41 AM »
how do you change the vote? i really do admit to thinking @yuneeq was being way too agitated of this whole situation couple of weeks ago...  #eatingcrow

TBH I was pretty embarrassed to start this thread at the time, but wanted to help get rid of the stigma, and get people to prepare even if meant getting embarrassed a bit.

Will reset the voting, not like the results won't be obvious. Attaching previous results for posterity.
Visibly Jewish

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2020, 02:34:36 AM »
i really do admit to thinking @yuneeq was being way too agitated of this whole situation couple of weeks ago...  #eatingcrow
IDK, I'm not yet fully convinced that the root problem here is really the virus itself rather than the hysteria generated by people like @yuneeq ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hopefully we never find out...

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2020, 02:52:02 AM »
IDK, I'm not yet fully convinced that the root problem here is really the virus itself rather than the hysteria generated by people like @yuneeq ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hopefully we never find out...

I never wanted hysteria, and think it only makes things worse. There’s a huge gap between complete denial and absolute hysteria, and that space is filled with both people and the govt taking it seriously and being prepared. The irony is if we were serious a month ago we wouldn’t be so hysterical today. But everyone is so polarized that if it isn’t killing 75% of the population we don’t have anything to worry about and it’s just the flu. Well the flu never brought China or Italy to its knees before.

Nothing we found out today is in the least but surprising. Yes, there is panic buying today but that wasn’t surprising either, and you would’ve been prepared with the items you need, whether or not you think it’s all a hoax, had you followed this thread.

Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2020, 03:07:44 AM »
What people need to realize - as much as we care about the economy in the US - in China, the people literally give up all their human rights in return for the promise of economic prosperity. And as long as they are prosperous, they are willing to overlook everything else. With that in mind, the Chinese completely stopped their entire economy for almost a month after a long 2 week holiday. They built hospitals with 2600 new beds and converted maybe 20 more stadiums/hotels. I’ve said in the past and it bears repeating - “actions speak louder than words”. We all know that China lies about their COVID stats. But the numbers they claim are not important, because their actions already told us the truth.
Visibly Jewish

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »
I never wanted hysteria, and think it only makes things worse. There’s a huge gap between complete denial and absolute hysteria, and that space is filled with both people and the govt taking it seriously and being prepared. The irony is if we were serious a month ago we wouldn’t be so hysterical today. But everyone is so polarized that if it isn’t killing 75% of the population we don’t have anything to worry about and it’s just the flu. Well the flu never brought China or Italy to its knees before.

Nothing we found out today is in the least but surprising. Yes, there is panic buying today but that wasn’t surprising either, and you would’ve been prepared with the items you need, whether or not you think it’s all a hoax, had you followed this thread.
So so true.  I think even those who understand the seriousness of this aren't even prepared for what is about to happen (ch'vsh and I let me be wrong) in another month and moreso in two months let alone those who don't get it.  It is frustrating for me to see people waking up a bit and saying "oh no, this is serious now" when all the mathematical and empirical signs were here already months ago. 

Once seeds are sown (in their natural environment), growth of the plant will proceed under normal conditions unless conditions change.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »
Probably obvious, but it's probably time to switch all spending to cashback cards.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »
Probably obvious, but it's probably time to switch all spending to cashback cards.
The airlines will eventually recover..
People will continue to fly

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2020, 10:04:40 AM »
The government won't let airlines fail.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »

I don't think most of the "it's just the flu" folks think it's exactly the same, it definitely is worse in some ways but I'm still not convinced it's worlds apart like some believe.

ETA: Listening to the news you would think this is the black plague.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:32:55 AM by avromie7 »
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
I don't think most of the "it's just the flu" folks think it's exactly the same, it definitely is worse in some ways but I'm still not convinced it's worlds apart like some believe.

ETA: Listening to the news you would think this is the black plague.
Just listen to informed news and look at the research. Not sure what you mean by "I'm still not convinced it's worlds apart like some believe" if you have done that
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2020, 11:14:04 AM »

Wasn’t thinking about that aspect. More in regards to accumulating points and not spending them. I have millions of points and won’t be burning anything in the near future.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:18 AM »
There will be a vaccine. Might take a year, but this wont be the new normal forever IMHO.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »

Hello bailouts.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
Can someone explain the bottled water craze to me?
Absolutely ridicules, there are people forwarding voice notes saying that everyone is going to be shorted with stock and people should stock up  i was going thru a few chats on my wife's phone they are going bonkers because of these vn, Costco and local groceries  added a few restrictions on toilet paper, paper towels, and water. 
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
There will be a vaccine. Might take a year, but this wont be the new normal forever IMHO.

"There is no vaccine for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. Scientists are working to develop one, Hilary Marston, a medical officer and policy advisor at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said in a Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health webcast on Monday (March 2). However, there will not be a vaccine for the virus in the near term.

"If everything moves as quickly as possible, *the soonest that it could possibly be is about one-and-a-half to two years. That still might be very optimistic,"* Marston said.”
Visibly Jewish

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »

I believe it takes 2-3 years. Creating it could take a year, then testing for 1-2 years.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »

No containers are leaving China now.

depending from where, alot of containers are coming in #1sthandinfo
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...