Author Topic: How much is COVID-19 affecting your life now?  (Read 57134 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: How much is COVID-19 affecting your life now?
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
DW just went on her regular shopping trip. Could not find a spot to park in a massive parking lot.  ::)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »
DW just went on her regular shopping trip. Could not find a spot to park in a massive parking lot.  ::)

DW went on one this morning, she had a hard time finding a spot at 8am. She was told by someone at the store that there was a line to get in at 6am. There is also a local trader joes that had a line to get in the door at 10am. They were limiting the number of people in the store.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
*Joint Statement from the Crown Heights Schools*

Dear Crown Heights Parents שיחיו,

As of this morning, there are 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19 positive cases in the Crown Heights Community. All are doing well, but they each have had a very extensive exposure to the community. There are many young people presenting with mild flu-like symptoms who have been tested and are awaiting results.

All the schools in Crown Heights had a joint conference call this morning at 10am with professionals and Rabbonim. We were advised that all local schools be closed because we expect a very large outbreak in the community based on the trends seen all over the world.

All Crown Heights schools will be closed as of 12pm today until further notice.

There is no reason for panic or worry. We simply must take action to keep the vulnerable members of our community safe. Professionals advised that young children should not visit the elderly and that everyone should take extra precautions and stay home as much as possible.

It is very important to note that many children who are carrying the virus will not even appear sick. We need to keep them home regardless to stop the spread.

This is an ongoing situation and we will do our best to keep the community updated on new policies and when we can re-open.

Wishing everyone a Gut Shabbos and Besuros Tovos,

The Crown Heights Schools

Just this morning I was telling DW that this would happen no later than Monday. Like some other things I've been foreseeing, I had too long of a horizon on the timing.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2020, 01:16:47 PM »
Just this morning I was telling DW that this would happen no later than Monday. Like some other things I've been foreseeing, I had too long of a horizon on the timing.
NYS will do it no later than Monday IMO

Online yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »
from YWN
The following letter was written by Rav Chaim Kanievsky Shlita regarding protection from the Corona Pandemic. It was translated and annotated by Rabbi Yair Hoffman for the 5TJT.com.

Rav Kanievsky’s words are in boldface.  Rabbi Yair Hoffman’s additions are in italics and in plain type.  Rabbi Hoffman’s additions are the background that is necessary to understand Rav Chaim’s words.  May we all have yeshuos. YH

BS”D

Adar 5780

Regarding the concern of transmission of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Everyone must be mechazek to refrain from Lashon Harah and rechilus as it states in Arachin 15b:  [Why is a leper so different, that the Torah states: “He shall dwell alone; outside of the camp shall be his dwelling” (Vayikrah 13:46)? He (Rabbi Chaninah) answered: By speaking badly] he separated between a husband and wife and between one person and another; therefore he is punished with tzara’as, and the Torah says: “He shall dwell alone; outside of the camp shall be his dwelling.”

They must further strengthen themselves in the midah of humility and to be maavir al midosav as the pirush  haRosh on the side of the page says explicitly in the end of Horios [14a],

The Gemorah there cites a debate between Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel and the chachomim as to who is preferable – a Sinai, one who is extremely knowledgeable or an Okair Harim – One who uproots mountains, one who is extremely sharp.

The Gemara explains that this is not just theoretical.  Rav Yosef was a Sinai; Rabba was one who uproots mountains. They sent a message from Bavel to Eretz Yisrael: Which takes precedence? They sent in response: Sinai is preferable, as the Master said: Everyone requires the owner of the wheat, i.e., one who is expert in the sources. And even so, Rav Yosef did not accept upon himself the appointment of head of the yeshiva. Rabba did accept it upon himself and he reigned for twenty-two years, and then Rav Yosef reigned. The Gemara relates that in all of those years that Rabba was in charge, Rav Yosef did not even call a bloodletter to his home. Rav Yosef did not assume even the slightest authority, in deference to Rabba.

The Rosh explains in the name of the Ramah that since Rav Yosef lowered himself and did not wish to lord over Rabbah, his humility protected both him and his household members that not any of them became ill all of those years that Rabbah ruled and even an expert bloodletter was not needed to be called to his home.

Whoever strengthens himself in these the merit will protect him and his family members that not one of them will be sick.

[Rav] Chaim Kanievsky
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2020, 04:42:19 PM »
called Priceline to see about changing/refunding a flight, was told the wait time is more than 17 Hours!
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
called Priceline to see about changing/refunding a flight, was told the wait time is more than 17 Hours!
Better than delta. They dont even let you wait. "Please call back later" beep.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Aaroncar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
Travelgenio finally got through to them after 20 times, and then they tell me the only way to deal with Corona cases is through the email, which they never answer.

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2020, 05:59:06 PM »
The benefit of using online travel agents seems to have come back to bite us now that the airlines won't deal with these flights directly.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2020, 06:04:01 PM »
The benefit of using online travel agents seems to have come back to bite us now that the airlines won't deal with these flights directly.
Can't reach most airlines either.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »
Can't reach most airlines either.
Last night I got through to virgin Atlantic after about 1 hour on hold and that's when they told me since it's a travel agent ticket they can't change it for me.

I then called Priceline and after getting kicked off for not being within 72 hours of my scheduled flight, eventually getting to someone who transferred me to join the call back in 8+ hours. Did that and never received a call back. This morning I called them and it was up to 17+ hours which I didn't even bother doing because it would be shabbos by then.

Offline israshot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2020, 06:11:39 PM »
Last night I got through to virgin Atlantic after about 1 hour on hold and that's when they told me since it's a travel agent ticket they can't change it for me.

I then called Priceline and after getting kicked off for not being within 72 hours of my scheduled flight, eventually getting to someone who transferred me to join the call back in 8+ hours. Did that and never received a call back. This morning I called them and it was up to 17+ hours which I didn't even bother doing because it would be shabbos by then.
I have a few flights scheduled next month but I don't bother at all. They will be all cancelled anyway...

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2020, 06:23:27 PM »
I have a few flights scheduled next month but I don't bother at all. They will be all cancelled anyway...
I was trying to change to get home earlier but in the end I just booked a new flight and will deal with the current booking later

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »
On the phone delta is saying if you can't get thru, don't worry - skip the flight and they'll take care of it later.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
On the phone delta is saying if you can't get thru, don't worry - skip the flight and they'll take care of it later.
That's a nice policy for a change

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »
You trust them?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2020, 10:24:24 PM »
Teaneck under self-quarantine:

As many of you have seen and heard, our Mayor has requested all residents to self-quarantine.

Ahead of a formal announcement tomorrow, and as social media, phone, text and WhatsApps are “ringing” off the hook, I wanted to put my thoughts together to define the word “Self- quarantine”. Please keep in mind at this time this is NOT a mandate but a voluntary step.

As the number of COVID-19 patients being treated at Holy Name Medical Center has risen, we are asking that the members of our Teaneck community begin to self-quarantine to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Slowing the spread of the coronavirus is our community's only hope to avoid overwhelming our medical system. While hand-washing and sanitizing is helpful, this disease is communicated person-to-person, and the less social interactions we have, the slower it will be able to spread.

Our highest chances of slowing the spread of this virus is when the infection rate in our general population is still low. If we wait for our infection rates in Teaneck to rise before taking these preventative measures, they will not be effective.

We need to take proactive steps at social distancing because that is known to flatten the curve.

We can’t possibly know every place everyone has been with any degree of certainly.

Let’s put our collective energies into doing what we can to help the greatest number of people.

To that end, some practices of self-quarantine include:

• When you do have to go out in the community for groceries or medicine, only one member of the household should go, and he/she should practice Social Distancing, and maintain a 6-foot distance from all other individuals.
• Reduce and eliminate unnecessary trips.
• Make required travel done by a single person.
• We will be asking our food establishments to be takeout and delivery only
• Movie theaters and gyms will be closed.
• Many house of worship, under request from their religious leaders, have closed
• Many employees are working from home. Please ask your employer if you can.

Today the New York Times quoted Dr. Carter Mecher, a senior medical adviser for public health at the Department of Veterans Affairs and a former director of medical preparedness policy at the White House during the Obama and Bush administrations. We think his metaphor is helpful in understanding our situation. "A fire on your stove you could put out with a fire extinguisher, but if your kitchen is ablaze, that fire extinguisher probably won’t work. Communities that pull the fire extinguisher early are much more effective.”

As a reminder, the CDC’s tips for preventing the spread of infections include:
• Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap or clean them with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Stay home if you feel sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash; if tissue is not available then cough/sneeze into your bent elbow.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please monitor your own health and be aware of the symptoms of COVID-19. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
• Fever
• Cough
• Shortness of breath
If you think you may have COVID-19, first contact your doctor before going to the hospital.

According to the CDC, if you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 you should get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include, but are not limited to:
• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
• Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
• New confusion or inability to arouse
• Bluish lips or face

Please stay tuned for more formal information from the township tomorrow.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline eliraps

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2020, 10:53:59 PM »
So with Israel's new regulations,  are all weddings being cancelled?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2020, 11:13:28 PM »
So with Israel's new regulations,  are all weddings being cancelled?

What's wrong with getting married with a מנין מצומצם? Plenty of people from a previous generation got married that way and had wonderful marriages.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2020, 11:31:26 PM »
Major mall by us closed indefinitely. Might be taking a road trip with daughter.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half