Author Topic: Tweets, Pictures, And Videos That Are Coronavirus Related  (Read 483626 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Tweets, Pictures, And Videos That Are Coronavirus Related
« Reply #1920 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:20 AM »
The link I posted was from the pre-election campaign focused on beating Trump.

The transition team's website has a Covid response plan without any reference to Trump at all - https://buildbackbetter.com/priorities/covid-19/

Either way, it's wrong to accuse Biden of not helping saving Americans by publicizing his plan, it's been well known for a long time.

Looks much better, if they execute on this it can make a real difference, let’s see.

The only thing that stands out that concerns me is how they throw their racial agenda into the mix (quotable distribution, “Ethnic Disparities Task Force”), which could totally derail their otherwise objective “follow the science” plans for resource distribution.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 17, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
The only thing that stands out that concerns me is how they throw their racial agenda into the mix (quotable distribution, “Ethnic Disparities Task Force”), which shows  “follow the science” is nothing more than a political slogan.
FTFY

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 17, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
FTFY

I’m trying hard to give the incoming administration benefit of the doubt, messaging like this isn’t helping.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 17, 2020, 11:37:35 AM »
More importantly, you’d limit the contacts of people who were exposed but not yet shedding virus in advance if testing would be fast enough. Not only could you prevent outbreaks from occurring, this would be a valuable tool to actually extinguish ongoing outbreaks.

Thanks for the explanation.

While in theory this sounds like it would work amazingly well, to me it seems like the only way this would happen in reality is if communistic style rules are implemented to enforce limitations of contact. Unfortunately, (some maybe more than some) people, especially those that are asymptomatic, will not voluntarily lock themselves up. Even if they know its irresponsible. Sad but true.

Again, it would be great if this actually worked in real life.

Amazing that 10 months into the virus there are people who still don’t understand this

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

All I asked was a question (not sarcastically) because I personally don't see how testing would be the major answer to this crisis (barring a vaccine) and I basically got my answer. No reason to bash or insult.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 17, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »

While in theory this sounds like it would work amazingly well, to me it seems like the only way this would happen in reality is if communistic style rules are implemented to enforce limitations of contact. Unfortunately, (some maybe more than some) people, especially those that are asymptomatic, will not voluntarily lock themselves up. Even if they know its irresponsible. Sad but true.

Again, it would be great if this actually worked in real life.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

All I asked was a question (not sarcastically) because I personally don't see how testing would be the major answer to this crisis (barring a vaccine) and I basically got my answer. No reason to bash or insult.
People who test positive will know to isolate sooner, thereby reducing the number of people infected by each person. It would also make people less hesitant to test if they feel they need to isolate before getting results. There are other benefits as well, but the basic idea is that although nothing is fool proof, information is power.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 17, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
Looks much better, if they execute on this it can make a real difference, let’s see.

The only thing that stands out that concerns me is how they throw their racial agenda into the mix (quotable distribution, “Ethnic Disparities Task Force”), which could totally derail their otherwise objective “follow the science” plans for resource distribution.
Yeah I don't like it either
אי אפשר לבר בלא תבן
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1926 on: November 17, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »

I’m not sure you’re right.

While certainly many people don’t follow rules or care about others, most do. Even if only half participate that would still cut overall transmission in half. And even if people don’t completely isolate, they may perhaps be more vigilant about SD and masks and avoiding crowds, lowering the R0 dramatically.

You’re making a great case for government interventionism but I believe in people’s ability to use information wisely! :)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1927 on: November 17, 2020, 01:37:49 PM »
The link I posted was from the pre-election campaign focused on beating Trump.

The transition team's website has a Covid response plan without any reference to Trump at all - https://buildbackbetter.com/priorities/covid-19/

Either way, it's wrong to accuse Biden of not helping saving Americans by publicizing his plan, it's been well known for a long time.
What I see there is that they will do what Trump is already doing and in addition to that they will attack it with an unprecedented number of adjectives. Did I leave anything out?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 17, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »
What I see there is that they will do what Trump is already doing and in addition to that they will attack it with an unprecedented number of adjectives. Did I leave anything out?
Yes, but you already know that.
has the Trump admin done anything at all to improve testing?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1929 on: November 17, 2020, 03:04:29 PM »
Yes, but you already know that.
I haven't found anything there so you can point it out to me. Yes they remove regulatory roadblocks placed by previous administrations which were preventing private testing from getting approved quickly. That was all that was needed. I don't think that there is much more to be done there by govt.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 17, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
I thought I heard recently that the USA by far performs the most tests of any country in  the world. Dont recall if that was overall or per person. But either way, I would think that tells us that we are quite advanced with our testing capabilities.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 17, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
I’m not sure you’re right.

While certainly many people don’t follow rules or care about others, most do. Even if only half participate that would still cut overall transmission in half. And even if people don’t completely isolate, they may perhaps be more vigilant about SD and masks and avoiding crowds, lowering the R0 dramatically.

You’re making a great case for government interventionism but I believe in people’s ability to use information wisely! :)

That's why I wrote "(some maybe more than some)" :). Meaning to say that even less than the half you're talking about may not participate, which in turn means that if not everyone participated it makes it more difficult to stop the virus. Hope that made sense to you  ;D.

I have no problem seeing testing as a partial resolution being implemented. Let them go for it.

ETA: Govt will intervene whether I make a case for it or not. Problem is we know very well that not exactly everyone will follow the rules. That's why I was skeptical but I'll be more than glad to be wrong.

I thought I heard recently that the USA by far performs the most tests of any country in  the world. Dont recall if that was overall or per person. But either way, I would think that tells us that we are quite advanced with our testing capabilities.

According to worldometer we have performed the most number of tests. Its not the highest per capita but its pretty up there.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:43:00 PM by iluv2travel »

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 17, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
That's why I wrote "(some maybe more than some)" :). Meaning to say that even less than the half you're talking about may not participate, which in turn means that if not everyone participated it makes it more difficult to stop the virus. Hope that made sense to you  ;D.

I have no problem seeing testing as a partial resolution being implemented. Let them go for it.

According to worldometer we have performed the most number of tests. Its not the highest per capita but its pretty up there.
US is #18, but most of the countries above the US are very small. Looking at countries with a population above 1,000,000 US is #7. Looking at countries with a population above 10,000,000 US is #2.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 17, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
Tests per capita isn't the correct metric. Positivity rate and turnaround times are what you're looking for. Having tests-per-capita higher than countries who don't have widespread transmission is nothing to be proud of

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 17, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »
So how are we currently ranking in turnaround time?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: November 17, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
So how are we currently ranking in turnaround time?
I don't know how to find data on turnaround times, but positivity rates are abysmal. Many states are over 50% -  a level higher than Mexico and not seen anywhere in the developed world. Anything over 5% is a bad sign.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-covid-19-test-positivity-rates-july-14.html

However, the point isn't how good the US is compared to other questions. The argument is whether Biden is planing on doing something better than Trump. It's clear that more testing would help, it's clear that Biden is planing on investing in more and better testing. Trump has asked to slow down testing so the numbers don't go up...

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 17, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
I don't know how to find data on turnaround times, but positivity rates are abysmal. Many states are over 50% -  a level higher than Mexico and not seen anywhere in the developed world. Anything over 5% is a bad sign.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-covid-19-test-positivity-rates-july-14.html

However, the point isn't how good the US is compared to other questions. The argument is whether Biden is planing on doing something better than Trump. It's clear that more testing would help, it's clear that Biden is planing on investing in more and better testing. Trump has asked to slow down testing so the numbers don't go up...
That's not really a fair comparison. You can compare the whole US to the entire Mexico and you can compare US states to Mexican states, but by picking states and comparing them to the whole country it's no surprise you get a higher positivity rate.

Which states are above 50%?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 17, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
That's not really a fair comparison. You can compare the whole US to the entire Mexico and you can compare US states to Mexican states, but by picking states and comparing them to the whole country it's no surprise you get a higher positivity rate.

Which states are above 50%?
Wyoming, SD, & Iowa

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 17, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
Wyoming, SD, & Iowa
Where are you seeing those numbers? On covidactnow.org they all are and have been way below 50% since the initial outbreak.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile