Author Topic: Tweets, Pictures, And Videos That Are Coronavirus Related  (Read 483513 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Tweets, Pictures, And Videos That Are Coronavirus Related
« Reply #1400 on: July 20, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
Kind of a generic bias.

Indeed, and as I pointed out EVERYONE has that bias. The question is to what degree one is aware that his or her words, responses, and actions are influenced by said bias, and that 1) the other person might have a valid point, 2) maybe I misunderstood the other person due to my bias and preconceived notions, and 3) maybe the other person isn't in disagreement with me and there's no need to argue.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1401 on: July 20, 2020, 01:33:55 PM »
I really don't want to get personal, but your bias (as is most people's bias) is mentioned in Sanhedrin 9b.

And while everyone has that bias the difference is whether a person is aware of it and questions themselves to see if their point of view might be based on that bias, and maybe the other point of view has validity, and in how fast one jumps to argue against something, rather than taking the time to examine it, understand it, and see if there's a valid point presented.

A little bit of מתינות and trying to see things from a different perspective (and sometimes not even a different perspective, but simply worded in a way that seems to indicate one thing to you, when it doesn't actually mean that) can go a long way.
A mistake that you and some others seem to be making is that I haven’t adjusted my beliefs and behaviors as time has elapsed. That is one hundred percent false. I currently daven indoors, learn indoors, send my children to babysitters/camp, have partially reopened my business, visit my high risk relatives, and wear a mask in only very specific circumstances. I have been adjusting the way I act constantly, based on my own cost benefit analysis and new research as it comes out. I also have asked for expert advice as I proceeded.

That’s not to say I don’t heed any caution in my personal life. I pick and choose based on the science and what I believe to be accurate, not based on what some science denier on DDF believes. I ask doctors and Rabbanim for their opinions and then live my life based on what I believe to be my hishtadlus. I avoid low reward/high risk situations to the extent that I believe is reasonable.

When I post on DDF I am almost exclusively posting in response to false inferences, fake news, and twisted arguments. Just because some people on here believe there is medical disagreement over whether masks are effective, that “there is something else” causing the spread in Florida, that “it’s just as deadly as the flu”, that “we have been proven to have herd immunity”, that “science isn’t even sure if people without symptoms can spread virus”, and that “if someone was exposed they must be immune”, doesn’t make those viewpoints valid or have any basis in reality. The sheer amount of misinformation and false logic I’ve seen on here is stunning. When I call out  false logic (as in the tweets you posted above), I have looked and seen clear misrepresentations of the truth. You can’t question whether I researched the person’s background, because that’s not what I’m proposing to do here. I’m merely pointing out the fallaciousness of the actual argument posted. That doesn’t make me biased, or not willing to look past my priors. It means I am calling out falsehood when I see it.

If you see false logic on my part feel free to call it out. I don’t think I’ve posted anything that every mainstream doctor doesn’t agree with. If they all feel that way, then I really don’t care if some random others (with a clear agenda) think their viewpoint is valid. There are millions of anti-vaxxers and people who believe in lizard people but I don’t have time to examine every radical conspiracy theory. When *all doctors* or even a significant minority disagree with a medical fact, that is when I would lend credence to an idea.

The one thing I’ve said consistently is to listen to doctors. It is very sad that this needs to be said. Any shouting at me doesn’t help, because I am not the one making the studies or formulating the opinions, only relaying information (and calling out lies and ignorance).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1402 on: July 20, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
Indeed, and as I pointed out EVERYONE has that bias. The question is to what degree one is aware that his or her words, responses, and actions are influenced by said bias, and that 1) the other person might have a valid point, 2) maybe I misunderstood the other person due to my bias and preconceived notions, and 3) maybe the other person isn't in disagreement with me and there's no need to argue.
But again, one can’t take the time to research everyone else’s opinions and facts. There simply isn’t enough time in the world. An easy (and proper) shortcut is to follow expert advice and question it when you see appropriate grounds to do so. Of course, one can always call out false logic when it is apparent.

Availability bias, resemblance bias, and many other heuristics will of course influence the way one approaches or thinks about an idea. That is why it’s difficult to be truly objective and fair in any subject without adequate training and experience. But consensus by experts should always be the groundwork for formulating opinions on known matters.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1403 on: July 20, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
A mistake that you and some others seem to be making is that I haven’t adjusted my beliefs and behaviors as time has elapsed. That is one hundred percent false. I currently daven indoors, learn indoors, send my children to babysitters/camp, have partially reopened my business, visit my high risk relatives, and wear a mask in only very specific circumstances. I have been adjusting the way I act constantly, based on my own cost benefit analysis and new research as it comes out. I also have asked for expert advice as I proceeded.

That’s not to say I don’t heed any caution in my personal life. I pick and choose based on the science and what I believe to be accurate, not based on what some science denier on DDF believes. I ask doctors and Rabbanim for their opinions and then live my life based on what I believe to be my hishtadlus. I avoid low reward/high risk situations to the extent that I believe is reasonable.

When I post on DDF I am almost exclusively posting in response to false inferences, fake news, and twisted arguments. Just because some people on here believe there is medical disagreement over whether masks are effective, that “there is something else” causing the spread in Florida, that “it’s just as deadly as the flu”, that “we have been proven to have herd immunity”, that “science isn’t even sure if people without symptoms can spread virus”, and that “if someone was exposed they must be immune”, doesn’t make those viewpoints valid or have any basis in reality. The sheer amount of misinformation and false logic I’ve seen on here is stunning. When I call out  false logic (as in the tweets you posted above), I have looked and seen clear misrepresentations of the truth. You can’t question whether I researched the person’s background, because that’s not what I’m proposing to do here. I’m merely pointing out the fallaciousness of the actual argument posted. That doesn’t make me biased, or not willing to look past my priors. It means I am calling out falsehood when I see it.

If you see false logic on my part feel free to call it out. I don’t think I’ve posted anything that every mainstream doctor doesn’t agree with. If they all feel that way, then I really don’t care if some random others (with a clear agenda) think their viewpoint is valid. There are millions of anti-vaxxers and people who believe in lizard people but I don’t have time to examine every radical conspiracy theory. When *all doctors* or even a significant minority disagree with a medical fact, that is when I would lend credence to an idea.

The one thing I’ve said consistently is to listen to doctors. It is very sad that this needs to be said. Any shouting at me doesn’t help, because I am not the one making the studies or formulating the opinions, only relaying information (and calling out lies and ignorance).

Is it ever ok to be wrong?
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1404 on: July 20, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »
Is it ever ok to be wrong?
That’s a tough one

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 20, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
That’s a tough one

Sleep over it.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #1406 on: July 20, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »
Sleep over it.
Ok.  But I may still not formulate an adequate answer.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 20, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »
Ok.  But I may still not formulate an adequate answer.

Take your time, and remember that your DDF friends are a forgiving bunch, it doesn't have to be perfect.
-- Dan

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 20, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
It is only for me, or are all the tweets in the last bunch of posts coming up as "invalid tweet id"?  :P

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 20, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
It is only for me, or are all the tweets in the last bunch of posts coming up as "invalid tweet id"?  :P
It's you
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 21, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 21, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 22, 2020, 09:31:49 AM »
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1417 on: July 22, 2020, 08:17:17 PM »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile