Author Topic: Tweets, Pictures, And Videos That Are Coronavirus Related  (Read 492586 times)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Tweets, Pictures, And Videos That Are Coronavirus Related
« Reply #2261 on: February 16, 2021, 11:27:26 PM »
Is that the newest trick to get back the sense of taste?

Sounds like a good way to lose it permanently...
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: February 17, 2021, 12:19:47 AM »

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:30 PM »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: February 17, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
‘Herd immunity’ vs government & precaution measures

Cc @yuneeq

I don't understand the charts, but assuming it proves what it says it does, it definitely seems like better proof of how political affiliation affects COVID. Though I wouldn't claim that "government and precaution measures" are helping, that's not what the chart says, in fact those same tweets shows gov precautions have a weaker correlation. If I had to guess, much of it has to do with left-leaning individuals being more precautious.
Visibly Jewish

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 17, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »
I don't understand the charts, but assuming it proves what it says it does, it definitely seems like better proof of how political affiliation affects COVID. Though I wouldn't claim that "government and precaution measures" are helping, that's not what the chart says, in fact those same tweets shows gov precautions have a weaker correlation. If I had to guess, much of it has to do with left-leaning individuals being more precautious.
It's a very weird metric, I think it compares the number of cases after 9/1 with the number of cases before 9/1. I have a feeling if we used per capita infections it probably would look very different.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 17, 2021, 09:53:36 PM »
I wouldn't claim that "government and precaution measures" are helping, that's not what the chart says,
קשיא רישא אסיפא
If I had to guess, much of it has to do with left-leaning individuals being more precautious.

Those precautions were taught by governments.

I think it compares the number of cases after 9/1 with the number of cases before 9/1.
Not at all. It shows there was dramatic correlation with political after 9/1 despite no correlation at all with political leaning until 9/1, refuting members of your school of thought who believed the correlation post 9/1 was inverse pre-9/1 and therefore caused by your fantasy herd immunity. 

This
COVID targets Republicans. If all Americans would have voted for Biden, COVID would be over for real.
Or if Republican leadership wouldn't have turned this into a stupid culture war to cover up for WH incompetence.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 17, 2021, 11:06:09 PM »
Not at all. It shows there was dramatic correlation with political after 9/1 despite no correlation at all with political leaning until 9/1, refuting members of your school of thought who believed the correlation post 9/1 was inverse pre-9/1 and therefore caused by your fantasy herd immunity. 
How else do you define "additional % infected after 9/1"
Or if Republican leadership wouldn't have turned this into a stupid culture war to cover up for WH incompetence.
When in doubt blame the Rs  ::)
As if the Ds had nothing to do with this.

Anyone remember when the travel ban from China was "racist"?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 17, 2021, 11:09:22 PM »

I think it’s intellectually dishonest to put the blame on the are for this. It takes two to tango and both sides are at fault.

If we’re already pointing fingers, at least the Rs (who I agree are equally culpable) don’t virtue signal “unity” while practicing divisiveness.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 17, 2021, 11:10:53 PM »
When in doubt blame the Rs  ::)
As if the Ds had nothing to do with this.

Anyone remember when the travel ban from China was "racist"?

We're literally showing you data democrats fared dramatically better than Republicans and you're flinging stupid whataboutism

at least the Rs (who I agree are equally culpable) don’t virtue signal “unity” while practicing divisiveness.
Huh? They were all out there calling not to impeach for the sake of unity.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: February 17, 2021, 11:14:56 PM »
Huh? They were all out there calling not to impeach for the sake of unity.

No, they were calling the Ds bluff. The unity virtue signaling started with Obama who claimed he’ll end racism in America once and for all, and all he did was stoke the fires.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 17, 2021, 11:22:38 PM »
No, they were calling the Ds bluff.
That's demonstrably not true. Republicans were calling against impeachment in the name of unity.

Biden is objectively unifying. His policies have more than 75% support and his favorability ratings are record high.

As James Surowiecki put it; the GOP's entire shtick for the past 20 years (at least) has been built on other-ing Democrats, making them seem alien to and out-of-touch with "ordinary" (meaning white) Americans. It's an impossible attack to make on Biden, and it's left them completely floundering. The fact that Tucker Carlson thought it made sense to go after Jill and Joe Biden's public affection for each other just shows that the GOP has no idea how to attack Biden and make it stick.

Either way, the point is Repbulicans shouldn't have turned Covid into a culture war. I don't see how you can blame democrats for that. There is conclusive evidence the Democrat strategy worked dramatically better. You can argue though that Republicans were right that it didn't justify the trade-off, and I don't know any way to measure that.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 17, 2021, 11:28:16 PM »
That's demonstrably not true. Republicans were calling against impeachment in the name of unity.

Biden is objectively unifying. His policies have more than 75% support and his favorability ratings are record high.

As James Surowiecki put it; the GOP's entire shtick for the past 20 years (at least) has been built on other-ing Democrats, making them seem alien to and out-of-touch with "ordinary" (meaning white) Americans. It's an impossible attack to make on Biden, and it's left them completely floundering. The fact that Tucker Carlson thought it made sense to go after Jill and Joe Biden's public affection for each other just shows that the GOP has no idea how to attack Biden and make it stick.

Either way, the point is Repbulicans shouldn't have turned Covid into a culture war. I don't see how you can blame democrats for that. There is conclusive evidence the Democrat strategy worked dramatically better. You can argue though that Republicans were right that it didn't justify the trade-off, and I don't know any way to measure that.
This is. a load of horse crap. The whole impeachment was intended to be decisive, and that's what the Rs called out. The Ds on the other hand have no problem calling for unity while being incredibly decisive, and you're falling for it hook line and sinker.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 17, 2021, 11:30:38 PM »
The whole impeachment was intended to be decisive
Interesting that a whole lot of mainstream Republicans supported it and somehow you're blaming democrat for it.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 18, 2021, 12:05:03 AM »
קשיא רישא אסיפא
Those precautions were taught by governments.

Again you're making up things. First, precautions were taught by scientists and tampered with/manipulated by governments, greatly harming public acceptance. Second, the data literally says the opposite. The data correlates better to voter affiliation, not to gov policies. Meaning it's the individuals belief system that makes them more precautious, not the governor in charge.

Lastly, I would like you to remember that your experience in Florida was very similar to mine, precautions were kept everywhere I went, despite the state having practically zero rules. The people are more precautious and that overrides any government policy.
Visibly Jewish

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 18, 2021, 12:08:47 AM »
Again you're making up things. First, precautions were taught by scientists and tampered with/manipulated by governments, greatly harming public acceptance. Second, the data literally says the opposite. The data correlates better to voter affiliation, not to gov policies. Meaning it's the individuals belief system that makes them more precautious, not the governor in charge.

Lastly, I would like you to remember that your experience in Florida was very similar to mine, precautions were kept everywhere I went, despite the state having practically zero rules. The people are more precautious and that overrides any government policy.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but you're forgetting the main reason Republicans as a group are less precautious than democrats is because their political leaders created a stupid and unnecessary culture war. The whole thing could've been avoided.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 18, 2021, 12:41:23 AM »
I agree with most of what you're saying, but you're forgetting the main reason Republicans as a group are less precautious than democrats is because their political leaders created a stupid and unnecessary culture war. The whole thing could've been avoided.

I agree with this but I think you misspoke. Many people are acting based on the political rhetoric they follow, and there’s no doubt that people that believe liberal rhetoric (ignoring the downsides of being too precautious) will likely be safer than people that believe conservative rhetoric. That is not the same as democratic “government precautions and policy” keep people safer than the conservative version.
Visibly Jewish

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 18, 2021, 01:18:44 AM »
https://twitter.com/janetiwasa/status/1362068665928015875

I agree with this but I think you misspoke. Many people are acting based on the political rhetoric they follow, and there’s no doubt that people that believe liberal rhetoric (ignoring the downsides of being too precautious) will likely be safer than people that believe conservative rhetoric. That is not the same as democratic “government precautions and policy” keep people safer than the conservative version.
I think democratic policy includes democratic rhetoric supporting scientists, although you’re right that Democratic voters slew more coastal, city, educated, wealthy, healthy and are thus more likely to take precautions than R voters.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 18, 2021, 02:08:30 AM »
I think democratic policy includes democratic rhetoric supporting scientists, although you’re right that Democratic voters slew more coastal, city, educated, wealthy, healthy and are thus more likely to take precautions than R voters.

The D rhetoric says to support scientists, and definitely more so than R’s. However the actual “science” presented by those same politicians and their experts is mixed in with so much politics that it can hardly be considered science. Yes, these experts were spewing that:

-No need to close entry from China
-The risk of corona spreading in US is very low
-No need to wear a mask, it’s completely useless
-The virus is racist
-The virus affects outdoor gatherings but not BLM marches
-COVID is not airborne
-HCQ is very risky and should never be prescribed
-And etc. ad nauseam

All of these lies were completely against available scientific data and research, liberals were not any safer for believing in these hoaxes. When science is influenced by outside forces it is by definition no longer science. 90% of the population either doesn’t believe in science or doesn’t know what the actual science is; both follow unscientific opinions despite how they may label it. It’s the tiny minority of people on either side that bother to actually read up and research, those are the only true believers in science, yet this tiny percentage would barely move the needle on any COVID/political correlation charts.
Visibly Jewish