Author Topic: Death Penalty  (Read 13386 times)

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Death Penalty
« on: March 05, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Death Penalty
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
Don’t know the facts here, but I personally am not in favor of the death penalty, only due to the fact that the justice system is far from foolproof.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 05:48:49 PM »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
Tonight, Alabama Will Execute a Man Who Didn't Commit Murder >:(

"Alabama man Nathaniel Woods is scheduled to be executed tonight for three murders prosecutors acknowledge he did not commit."

This is the first I'm hearing of this case, but just from a quick glance this seems a bit disingenuous. They make it sound as if everyone agrees he's innocent.

If what the prosecution claims is true
Woods, Jefferson County prosecutors told the jury at his 2005 trial, hated law enforcement and had lured the officers into the house so Spencer could kill them. Though he did not fire the fatal shots, Woods had masterminded the plan, making his actions as equally significant as Spencer's
then this might not be the poster case for opposing the death penalty -even if he wasn't the one who pulled the trigger.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
 “Six months after the murders, records state Woods told a deputy sheriff that the deputy was “hiding behind [his] badge just like the other three mother f******” and promised to look for him if Woods was acquitted. In 2005, deputies found drawings in Woods’ cell of men shooting three flaming skulls and a police car riddled with bullet holes. Deputies also found lyrics to a song Woods had apparently written: “Seven execution styles murders I have no remorse because I’m the f****** murderer”

The world will be a better place without this animal.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:28:50 PM by Yard sale »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 06:38:55 PM »
Horrible thread title.

That said, I confess to being surprised (and somewhat disturbed) that a man is being executed without having "pulled the trigger."

I, too, am not in favor of the death penalty due to the imperfections of the criminal justice system, especially in light of the work done by the innocence project.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »
Horrible thread title.

That said, I confess to being surprised (and somewhat disturbed) that a man is being executed without having "pulled the trigger."

I, too, am not in favor of the death penalty due to the imperfections of the criminal justice system, especially in light of the work done by the innocence project.
Why is this any different than any other conspiracy that resulted in murder?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 10:19:59 PM »
While the justice system certainly has flaws it's still a pretty efficient system. While it gets a bad rap from the few times it messes up, the overwhelming majority of the times it works justly.
I  am personally on the fence if it should exist or not. The way I see it, there can be 4 arguments for the penalty (in no particular order).

1. To prevent future murders: i am sure there are a ton of statistics in favor or against this argument. (i.e. the psychological makeup of murderer could render this a moot point).
2. Justice: He did and bad deed and deserves and apt punishment: as someone who believes in G-d, i don't consider this society's role.
3. Families of the victims: I think this is the strongest argument for. They deserve some level of peace after losing a loved one.
4. Economical: This is the definitely the shakiest argument if we want to live in a humane society. No matter how egregious the crime, money is never a justification for societally approved murder.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 10:30:54 PM »
While the justice system certainly has flaws it's still a pretty efficient system. While it gets a bad rap from the few times it messes up, the overwhelming majority of the times it works justly.
I  am personally on the fence if it should exist or not. The way I see it, there can be 4 arguments for the penalty (in no particular order).

1. To prevent future murders: i am sure there are a ton of statistics in favor or against this argument. (i.e. the psychological makeup of murderer could render this a moot point).
2. Justice: He did and bad deed and deserves and apt punishment: as someone who believes in G-d, i don't consider this society's role.
3. Families of the victims: I think this is the strongest argument for. They deserve some level of peace after losing a loved one.
4. Economical: This is the definitely the shakiest argument if we want to live in a humane society. No matter how egregious the crime, money is never a justification for societally approved murder.

"the overwhelming majority of the times it works justly"

So you're OK killing one innocent person because 99 deserve it?

"To prevent future murders"

You know what else prevents future murders? Life in a supermax.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 10:43:50 PM »

So you're OK killing one innocent person because 99 deserve it?

How do you value the the closure that the 99 families would get from the injustice done to them? No i am not pro any innocent people dying. But i don't subscribe to the notion that to a government and justice system, an innocent life has infinite value.

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 10:44:13 PM »
One point about this story, maybe not directly on this line of discussion. I find it despicable how people on social media are heralding him as a hero who should rest in peace and that the governor is the real murderer. Get a grip, people. You may be opposed to this death penalty, but this guy orchestrated the shooting of police officers. He's a rotten murder-wannabee. Maybe he didn't deserve to die - but he sure aint no saint.

Now my personal opinion - pulling the trigger shouldn't be the determining factor in a death penalty, so in this case, it could be upheld. But, our justice department is too fractured to support a death penalty as is. The penalty should remain, but more safeguards should be inserted into the system.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 11:56:39 PM »
How do you value the the closure that the 99 families would get from the injustice done to them? No i am not pro any innocent people dying. But i don't subscribe to the notion that to a government and justice system, an innocent life has infinite value.

Sorry, I don't need be Dr. Phil or have a PhD in psychology to know that the "closure" of even 999 families is not worth the *life* of a wrongfully convicted innocent person, not to mention snuffing out all of his or her future generations, and the fact that closure can be obtained by means short of the death penalty.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 12:57:12 AM »
To clarify, you don't have a moral problem with the death penalty, just with its administration on a practical level?

I'm assuming you don't have a problem hanging Nazi war criminals?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 01:06:29 AM »
This was considered a blunder by Dukakis. I don't see it. I think the question was disgusting and he answered it fine.

https://youtu.be/DF9gSyku-fc

What's an irrevocable death penalty anyway?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 01:15:56 AM »

So you're OK killing one innocent person because 99 deserve it

This is another version of the trolley problem, and I also don’t subscribe to killing an innocent person for the Greater Good. But I doubt either of you will be able to convince the other.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 02:14:47 AM »
This is another version of the trolley problem

I don't see how.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »
I don't see how.

https://thelawblog.in/2016/12/27/the-trolley-problem/

“...Similar to the answer which involves saying yes to the train’s diversion but no to the deliberate pushing, the first argument against death penalty distinguishes between ‘killing a person’ and ‘letting a person die’. Hence, the preference for life imprisonment over death penalty. The second school of argument is based on utilitarianism or the principle of ‘greatest good for the greatest number’ as proposed by Jeremy Bentham and thus the methodology doesn’t really create that much of a hindrance since the outcome remains the same.“
Visibly Jewish

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »
This is another version of the trolley problem, and I also don’t subscribe to killing an innocent person for the Greater Good. But I doubt either of you will be able to convince the other.

let me pose a hypothetical. Over 7 Thousand people die in the us daily. If I developed a technology that could save 100 of the most innocent and young people everyday, however it would cost 100 million dollars a life, do you think the government should allocate the necessary funds to fund that initiative?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
let me pose a hypothetical. Over 7 Thousand people die in the us daily. If I developed a technology that could save 100 of the most innocent and young people everyday, however it would cost 100 million dollars a life, do you think the government should allocate the necessary funds to fund that initiative?

Plenty of people die simply because they can't afford healthcare. Old question, just a new way of asking it.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty