Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 379276 times)

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #2520 on: May 24, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »
As much as you guys beat up on @S209 and @Lurker they have basically been saying the same thing. They (and I) are frustrated at those who refuse to give any seriousness to the entire thing even after such attitudes have clearly cost lives.
I was in their side till data out of nyc Jewish communities started surfacing with Bh very positive developments.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #2521 on: May 24, 2020, 09:10:49 PM »
There are most definitely still respiratory distress calls and Code-19 calls, even though there's been no transports.
Like I said, people are seeking medical attention via their doctors before it gets to a point where they need Hatzolah to transport.
Not more than pre covid-19 times. That’s what I heard from highly active EMT in Lakewood.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2522 on: May 24, 2020, 09:13:38 PM »
There are most definitely still respiratory distress calls and Code-19 calls, even though there's been no transports.
Like I said, people are seeking medical attention via their doctors before it gets to a point where they need Hatzolah to transport.
Not more than pre covid-19 times. That’s what I heard from highly active EMT in Lakewood.
Excellent point, Mr. in-the-know
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2523 on: May 24, 2020, 09:14:03 PM »
I was in their side till data out of nyc Jewish communities started surfacing with Bh very positive developments.
I would say that I am cautiously optimistic but, based on what we have seen, see that it is way too early to throw caution to the wind like many who have been doing it the entire time are now being much more vocal about. Hopefully we are past the hump, but there is still a very decent chance that there will be more bad news before this is all over.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2524 on: May 24, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »
But where did things go from there? Will that happen again? I surely hope not. But I have no basis on which to discount the possibility.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2525 on: May 24, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
My bad I apologize. It’s sickening when guys here are just unwilling to accept anything positive about this situation.
It’s sickening when people like someone in this conversation unabashedly declare themselves part of a minyan that was jammed to capacity without the humility to accept that we may not be out of danger yet. Nobody is rooting for bad news, that’s once again your personal viewpoint clouding your vision. Certainly we all applaud good news when it come out. Why wouldn’t we?

The difference is, I DON’T ACT ON A GOOD RUMOR.  You need to remain cautiously optimistic. It’s not confirmed science and can endanger people. How can you play gin rummy with people’s lives because you prefer to live in an optimistic bubble where pandemics don’t claim the lives of people in our community by the hundreds? You haven’t answered any of the questions I’ve challenged you with about your supposed “science”. That’s sickening to you? Is it sickening that countless people have recklessly endangered the lives of many? Or is the Hatzalah guy in-the-know telling you it’ll all be fine, with his vast experience with pandemics?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2526 on: May 24, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »
Just about every rov and doctor has said they're waiting on the government. You yourself have said the same.
{citation needed}

It's blatantly obvious that we need to open up *safely*.
You clearly haven’t been reading the posts I have. Start on this thread, then move on over to the new Shul opening thread for more.

Even communities that had a leadership consensus to close Shuls early say the same. Even those that say wait 2 weeks until after the government allows it still are waiting for the government to start that clock *now*.
In Lakewood and BP, they didn’t wait for the government to give the go ahead to open, and Lakewood shut Shuls before the government ordered them to. My question is on the members of these Shuls who are gleefully reporting filling Shuls to capacity. If your position is that that’s a reaction to Cuomo’s laws, that is not a defensible position. You’re a frum yid, get your act together and behave as such. We have our own set of rules we need to follow, to react adversely to secular law by ignoring the Torah is idiocy and a complete lack of self control. Take personal responsibility.

My point is abundantly clear. So long as the people in charge don't open up safely, people will open up on their own unsafely. It's as clear as day. It's a concept that goes back literally to the beginning of time with Adam and Chava.
I don’t care what people “will do”. It’s still wrong.

Anyone who went to shul in NY with more than 10 people at a time was breaking the rules. Even if you were all masked in a 500 seat shul. The rules are idiotic, clearly not thought out, and with other non essential gatherings like sports being approved, it's going to be impossible to get anyone to buy into following guidelines.
Agreed. Still don’t see any connection to us being able to do the right thing for ourselves.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2527 on: May 24, 2020, 09:30:47 PM »
What is “our side”? I don’t have a strong opinion on the subject of opening up, as long as it is safe and guided by Torah and data. The reports from the other thread most certainly don’t sound like they were safe. I can’t comment on the Torah aspect.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2528 on: May 24, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »

For my health I shouldn't bother, but....

1) You can't call an analogy moronic when someone else makes it, and then toss it out at me yourself. (unless I was the one making the analogy, and I wasn't)

You weren't and it wasn't connected to you, but it's been thrown out a lot today and it's starting to grow on me in our new situation. Wait, hear me out: there are generally accepted precautions like seat belts and not driving impaired (masks and social distancing), and there are local rules and enforcement like speed limits and speed cameras which may be illogical and counter-productive (like illogical shul capacities and business closings).

2) Even your flawed analogy is flawed. You're leaping from unreasonable speed limits to drunk driving?

I'm going from unreasonable speed limits (illogical business/shul closings) to throwing out the baby with the bathwater and going to extremes like drunk driving (kiddushim, 70 people crammed in a house with no masks).

3) There absolutely is plenty of evidence that more relaxed speeding limits improves overall driving quality and reduces accidents, but that's besides the point and I'm not getting into that argument.

My point exactly. Just because the rules are flat out wrong, doesn't excuse over-reacting in dangerous ways.

4) I didn't say the behavior is justified or correct, I said it's inevitable under the current rules.

Inevitable doesn't mean we have to justify them or not try as hard as we can to correct them.

You and @S209 are either being deliberately obtuse or are so entrenched in the debate over the past months you aren't understanding what we're saying. I'm making the same point that Aygart and Formerly Ginger have made in this thread. We absolutely cannot have people behaving as they are right now. It's dangerous. But as long as the regulations don't allow for people to resume activities in a safe manner, there isn't a lick we can do about it.

This is where we disagree. I've had a bad feeling about Memorial Day weekend and Shavuos for a long time. DDF gives me a platform where I can try to explain to people why I feel the way I do. Most will not listen, for the reasons you explained. People are done. They were sick, or they think they were sick, they've been treated poorly, they're done listening. I get it. But maybe, just maybe, I can fantasize that something I say will click, and someone will be a little safer. Maybe someone who's already being safe will take the time to reach out to someone else and convince them to take a few extra precautions. Probably not, but I'm going to try.

I have a friend, who you actually happen to know, who was in the hospital and on a vent for a bit. He's 35 years old, skinny guy, no history of issues. He's going to be in rehab for a bit, thank G-d. He's far from the only one. If I can sit here from the safety of my home and maybe keep one person - a husband, a father, a son, anybody! - from getting sick over the next couple of weeks, it's worth it.

Continued extreme lockdowns are making safe social distancing impossible.

They are making it extremely difficult. But the answer isn't, "Screw it all!" Do whatever you can, because it's more than nothing, and that something may just be the difference in keeping another name off a list that's already way too long.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:38:32 PM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2529 on: May 24, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »
You and @S209 are either being deliberately obtuse or are so entrenched in the debate over the past months you aren't understanding what we're saying. I'm making the same point that Aygart and Formerly Ginger have made in this thread. We absolutely cannot have people behaving as they are right now. It's dangerous. But as long as the regulations don't allow for people to resume activities in a safe manner, there isn't a lick we can do about it.

Continued extreme lockdowns are making safe social distancing impossible.
I have never defended continued extreme lockdowns. I do take umbrage at the insinuation that because Cuomo is doing a poor job we have a right to throw all necessary restrictions out the window. Many on this forum have bragged about their complete lack of caution this last Shabbos.

And you defend that by citing Cuomo?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2530 on: May 24, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »
Kumbaya. We're all in agreement.

I never once defended, justified or excused dangerous behavior. It's wrong. It's dangerous.

Blaming Cuomo makes sense in the context of why people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2531 on: May 24, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »

because Cuomo is doing a poor job we have a right to throw all necessary restrictions out the window.

Never said that

Many on this forum have bragged about their complete lack of caution this last Shabbos.

And you defend that by citing Cuomo?

Neither that.

And that's my point. You'd know that if you read my posts with a clear head.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
So you believe that no one this would be happening if NYS and NYC laws would be logical?

For some reason, I find it hard to believe these shuls would be doing anything any differently.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 24, 2020, 10:07:42 PM »
Part of the problem is that a lot of the people who are advocating life is normal are the same people who, didn't envision the bloodshed.

First of all I agree that it's not conceivable to lock everyone up. We just are 21st century brats.

And yes as @Dan  said And everybody has also thought about we grew up reading all the books on the Holocaust all about the people who hid and the people who got restless and walked out, got caught and killed.

Mostly because we grew up with this feeling of how could that have happened? But now we understand human nature both from ourselves and from others.

I think of everything that we have now and that they didn't.  We have internet, phones, computers, TV screens.. homes full of food bh and hot running water.

The difference now is that if you put yourself and others I'm danger for minyan, it's not about dying Al Kiddush hashem..

Is it going to come back? The heck do I know?

Can it come back? Of course.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 24, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »
What is “our side”? I don’t have a strong opinion on the subject of opening up, as long as it is safe and guided by Torah and data. The reports from the other thread most certainly don’t sound like they were safe. I can’t comment on the Torah aspect.
My Rav has opened his shul to regular capacity last week.
Rabbi Shaul Simcha Friedman
Shemen L’Mincha
Quite a few prominent doctors davening there as we speak...

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2535 on: May 24, 2020, 10:11:57 PM »

I have a friend, who you actually happen to know, who was in the hospital and on a vent for a bit. He's 35 years old, skinny guy, no history of issues. He's going to be in rehab for a bit, thank G-d. He's far from the only one. If I can sit here from the safety of my home and maybe keep one person - a husband, a father, a son, anybody! - from getting sick over the next couple of weeks, it's worth it.

They are making it extremely difficult. But the answer isn't, "Screw it all!" Do whatever you can, because it's more than nothing, and that something may just be the difference in keeping another name off a list that's already way too long.

Can you please stop playing this card? Can you stop with the yesomim eye staring? Do you want me to produce the body count of my relatives? Do I need to tell you of one of my closest friends who you also know, is also skinny (he has a long beard too - does that count for anything?) and almost died?

We all don't want people to die. If you think you're any more sensitive to that than anyone else, you're most likely wrong.

If CH, which by and large was great at following social distancing rules now has a significant number of people who are not, maybe let's figure out why that is so we can get people to be safe and prevent a second wave.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #2536 on: May 24, 2020, 10:15:03 PM »
So you believe that no one this would be happening if NYS and NYC laws would be logical?

For some reason, I find it hard to believe these shuls would be doing anything any differently.
I assume that this is for me.

None of this? No way. Heck, how many Shuls remained open throughout?

Would it be a heck of a lot better by a factor of a million had Cuomo/Murphy laid out clear, logical, plans 2 months or even 1 month ago?

Absolutely. Especially in places like Crown Heights where people did follow the rules.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2537 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »
My Rav has opened his shul to regular capacity last week.
Rabbi Shaul Simcha Friedman
Shemen L’Mincha
Quite a few prominent doctors davening there as we speak...
No restrictions whatsoever? These doctors do not have antibodies?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 24, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »
I heard otherwise from a highly active MEDIC in Lakewood. Now beat that!

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 24, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
No restrictions whatsoever? These doctors do not have antibodies?
Zero. Oh wait.... no kiddush till further notice. I let the doctors mind their own business as I mind my own.