Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368644 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #3180 on: May 16, 2023, 07:56:27 AM »
My point is that regardless if you obeyed the restrictions religiously or flouted them, at the time they had the respect of most people that it was all about "playing it safe", this is no longer the case. In retrospect people view it today as over the top restrictions without any sensitivity for the obvious side effects and common sense, coupled with politics too.
Speak for yourself. In general you’ll find the same people who were skeptical then are the ones claiming “we were wrong” now. Social distancing, at a minimum, was certainly the right thing at the time (and there’s endless data to suggest it *did* save lives despite your claims to the contrary).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: May 16, 2023, 08:59:10 AM »
Speak for yourself. In general you’ll find the same people who were skeptical then are the ones claiming “we were wrong” now.

Utterly wrong, as evident on these very threads here on DDF. For the most part people now have negative opinions on the imposed over the top and prolonged restrictions, despite that at the time they were followed and understood. It's just the sad reality.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3182 on: May 16, 2023, 09:01:23 AM »
Utterly wrong, as evident on these very threads here on DDF. For the most part people now have negative opinions on the imposed over the top and prolonged restrictions, despite that at the time there were followed and understood. It's just the sad reality.
The same people who were against restrictions then are saying that now. In this thread.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3183 on: May 16, 2023, 09:02:39 AM »
Utterly wrong, as evident on these very threads here on DDF. For the most part people now have negative opinions on the imposed over the top and prolonged restrictions, despite that at the time there were followed and understood. It's just the sad reality.

There are many who feel the restrictions went much longer than made sense. At the time I wrote numerous times that even the most precise restrictions require a good exit strategy which nobody had even thought about.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3184 on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:56 AM »
Utterly wrong, as evident on these very threads here on DDF. For the most part people now have negative opinions on the imposed over the top and prolonged restrictions, despite that at the time they were followed and understood. It's just the sad reality.
The prolonged restrictions were limited to places where politics led to those restrictions with no clear offramp.

By May 2020 most places had no restrictions, which proved to be the correct time for that to happen.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3185 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:53 AM »
The 2 most recent posters who claim to now be enlightened:
For some reason I landed here today.
I just wonder after all the info that was released on the reasons behind the doctors orders, after all media outlets saying the social distancing never helped, after seeing fauci saying himself i think the masks didn't help, Will anyone here have a greater respect to rabonim even if they do not give you an explanation on the spot and you do not understand there approach now?
This is a typical story of אין אדם עומד על דעת רבו עד ארבעים שנה

And here is his earlier position
There are a lot of rabbanim that say there is no way to stop it and everybody will eventually get it any way, second the SIDE affects of this whole chaos spiritually and mentally is a big big factor too.
And here is your earlier position
Is that what everyone agrees now or it's just a hypotheses?

If you’re going to claim I’m utterly wrong you’ll need to back that up, please.

(I felt the restrictions were too onerous and lasted too long, and I said so at the time).

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: May 16, 2023, 10:54:22 AM »
And here is your earlier position
If you’re going to claim I’m utterly wrong you’ll need to back that up, please.

(I felt the restrictions were too onerous and lasted too long, and I said so at the time).

I don't see any "position" I'm taking there or even now. What I'm saying is that the excessive and the forever restrictions would be remembered negatively regardless of if you were fully for it at the time. I glad you're agreeing to that. Of course there were places where more common sense was used.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3187 on: May 16, 2023, 11:06:32 AM »
I don't see any "position" I'm taking there or even now. What I'm saying is that the excessive and the forever restrictions would be remembered negatively regardless of if you were fully for it at the time. I glad you're agreeing to that. Of course there were places where more common sense was used.
So medicine loses trust because of the likes of Cuomo, de Blasio, Newsom, and Trudeau wanting restrictions to last for years?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: May 16, 2023, 11:31:52 AM »
So medicine loses trust because of the likes of Cuomo, de Blasio, Newsom, and Trudeau wanting restrictions to last for years?
The is another name that seems to belong here but I can't place it. Something like ouchy.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: May 16, 2023, 11:49:01 AM »
The is another name that seems to belong here but I can't place it. Something like ouchy.
Nuch a politician. Except he couldn't make his own decrees.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: May 16, 2023, 11:49:52 AM »
Nuch a politician. Except he couldn't make his own decrees.
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3191 on: May 16, 2023, 11:52:15 AM »

Been through this in other threads, but no. Medicine lost trust for many other reasons

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: May 16, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
I'm not taking sides but don't make  it not a big deal. Of course it was a big deal. If someone did t care much for tefilah betzibur or chinich it wasn't a big deal.
Giving up on things so vital to avodas hashem is definitely a big deal even if warranted
Gedolei Olam said to shut everything down, & I’m quite confident that they understand just how big a deal it is. They felt it’s an עת לעשות due to Pikuach Nefesh & Sofek Pikuach Nefesh.
Who are we to do Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3193 on: May 16, 2023, 12:16:18 PM »
Gedolei Olam said to shut everything down, & I’m quite confident that they understand just how big a deal it is. They felt it’s an עת לעשות due to Pikuach Nefesh & Sofek Pikuach Nefesh.
Who are we to do Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Using hindsight to second-guess decisions made when dozens upon dozens of people were dying is ridiculous.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3194 on: May 16, 2023, 12:57:04 PM »
To demonstrate your claim, you have to show someone who was “for it” at the time now being “against it”.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: May 16, 2023, 09:46:56 PM »
Ditchek?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #3196 on: May 16, 2023, 10:12:17 PM »
Ditchek?
Welcome back. Do you have this whole board on “notify”?