Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368839 times)

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
Re: Corona virus and your shull
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 04:00:29 AM »
Got your back

Don't worry, he probably doesn't know that 50 million people died from Spanish Flu. So he doesn't need to worry
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »
Don't worry, he probably doesn't know that 50 million people died from Spanish Flu. So he doesn't need to worry

Yeh but some estimates say 100m died, so no one really knows how deadly it was, it’s just fear of the unknown. Stop fear mongering.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 11:22:35 AM »
Saw a few shuls took down the big towels near the sinks, and replaced them with towel paper. It's about time for that in general...
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
Saw a few shuls took down the big towels near the sinks, and replaced them with towel paper. It's about time for that in general...

Yes, they say those towels are next to the sink so you can wash your hands after you dry them.

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
Think about the siddurim and chumashim everyone shares

Offline ejb123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
Yes, they say those towels are next to the sink so you can wash your hands after you dry them.

Saw those hanging communal towels at a shmura matza factory a few years ago and wondered how the mashgiach allowed it (ignoring what the health department would say)...

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 02:13:16 PM »
Governor Cuomo is brining in the National Guard to put a containment zone in New Rochelle with a 1-mile radius of YINR. This includes most of the frum community that davens in that shul, as well as two conservative shuls - Temple Israel NR, and Beth El - but doesn't quite reach to neighboring shuls in Scarsdale or other parts of New Rochelle

https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-governor-orders-containment-zone-in-new-rochelle-national-guard-called-in/5999358/

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
The first picture is the sign on the door of the shul. The second is the damp towels by the sink. Major disconnect.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
Governor Cuomo is brining in the National Guard to put a containment zone in New Rochelle with a 1-mile radius of YINR. This includes most of the frum community that davens in that shul, as well as two conservative shuls - Temple Israel NR, and Beth El - but doesn't quite reach to neighboring shuls in Scarsdale or other parts of New Rochelle

https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-governor-orders-containment-zone-in-new-rochelle-national-guard-called-in/5999358/
I find it so strange that it basically started with the Frum Jews first in the US. Does anyone know yet how and where the lawyer who nebech has it got it from?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
I find it so strange that it basically started with the Frum Jews first in the US. Does anyone know yet how and where the lawyer who nebech has it got it from?

I live two towns over. From what I understand, he got the virus most likely on a trip to Florida in mid February. He also attended a Bat Mitzvah and Levaya at his shul the weekend of 2/22-24.

Because of this, at least 3 local yeshivas were closed - SAR High School (where one of his kids go) and Westchester Day School and Westchester Torah Academy (both elementary schools that have a lot of kids from that shul - YINR).

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
I live two towns over. From what I understand, he got the virus most likely on a trip to Florida in mid February. He also attended a Bat Mitzvah and Levaya at his shul the weekend of 2/22-24.

Because of this, at least 3 local yeshivas were closed - SAR High School (where one of his kids go) and Westchester Day School and Westchester Torah Academy (both elementary schools that have a lot of kids from that shul - YINR).

He was in FL the weekend of Feb 15th, and started having symptoms shortly after on the 22nd. I’d agree it was most likely from that trip.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
Wow. Was there even confirmed cases in Florida at that time?

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »

It started in NY from Frum Jews....plenty of people had it already in WA and CA before it got to NY.

We are special but not that special :)

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
Wow. Was there even confirmed cases in Florida at that time?
It may have been somewhere on the way like the airport.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »

Any updates from Monsey?
Any shul or school policies?

I am aware of a nursing home that is not allowing family visitors now.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »
Any updates from Monsey?

All I know from Monsey is that apparently there was a person (supposedly a waiter) who was infected that had worked a simcha at the atrium.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
Any updates from Monsey?

which nursing home?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
Not a shul but a school:

Thursday Afternoon, Parshas Ki Sisa.

Dear Parents,

The safety and security of our precious children has always been our highest priority, and that remains the case today as the world grapples with the outbreak of COVID-19, known as the Coronavirus.

Baruch Hashem, Yeshiva Darchei Torah has not had a single case of the disease. We daven that this should remain the case until the outbreak is over.

We have been engaged in discussions about this challenge for the last few weeks, and are taking all appropriate precautions throughout our campus.

When it came to scheduling the Mesivta's annual Purim chagigah, I consulted with four respected doctors - from branches of medicine as varied as pulmonology, infectious disease, and pediatrics - and their unanimous decision was to proceed with the event as usual, but to instruct the talmidim to be careful. I then asked Maran Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky shlita for his Da'as Torah, and he advised us to proceed as planned.

There has been somewhat of a tumult of late about closing yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs on a broad scale. At an urgent telephone meeting today of the Vaad Roshei HaYeshiva of Torah Umesorah - a council comprised of the senior Gedolei Yisrael in America - this matter was discussed at length. On the phone were gedolim such as the Novominsker Rebbe, Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky, Rav Aryeh Malkiel Kotler, and several other roshei yeshivos, including myself, in addition to a prominent doctor. A representative of Rav Dovid Feinstein was on the call as well, whose position conformed to the unanimous decision: that all yeshivos remain open, with proper precautions. (Torah Umesorah will be publishing a statement on this matter shortly.)

Here at Yeshiva Darchei Torah, we have been following the guidelines of the CDC and the New York State and New York City Departments of Health. Among many of the actions that we are taking on campus: All water fountains are being disconnected, so we encourage parents to send water bottles from home - which can be refilled from the regular sink faucets (our entire main building is filtered, as is the Mesivta). Purell dispensers have already been ordered and will be placed throughout the buildings.

On a personal note: I see no reason for a wholesale closure of yeshivos. (It goes without saying that any school dealing with a case of this virus is in a different category.) The public schools and most businesses are staying open - why should yeshivos close?

We urge you to keep any child who is not feeling well at home. We have also instructed all of our devoted staff members to be vigilant and to take off if they suspect that they may be ill.

The achrayus of the Torah learning and well-being of nearly 2500 talmidim weighs heavily on my mind, as it should for all mechanchim. As ma'aminim we know that the Torah learning of our children is the greatest form of protection for Klal Yisrael!

Let us remain vigilant, and let us redouble our tefillos, our learning, and our chesed.

My message is relevant to the current situation, and we will keep you posted with any significant updates.

Rabbi Yaakov Bender
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.