Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368564 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shull
« Reply #620 on: March 29, 2020, 11:30:54 PM »
How does it help to use foul language about some of the greatest talmidei chachomim of our generation?
It doesn't, but I don't see the same energy spent on an outcry about the minyanim taking place. @chevron is right to pull the alarm bells, and so should everyone. No should sit on their laurels and say, "what should I do?". "Who will listen to me?" "They know already." Etc.

Everyone has a responsibility to do whatever they could to save a life.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 29, 2020, 11:31:05 PM »
Speak for yourself. We haven't.
Unreal to see people so maykil in sakanos nefashos. So much for being a smart people.
I also didn't leave for quite a few days.
despite the fact, that its hard to get basics delivered in Brooklyn.
but theres no outcry for people going to grocery, just about minyanim.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 29, 2020, 11:32:58 PM »
#1, what can you do abt it?
#2. everybody goes out for what they seem essential. some see minyan as essential. and the minyonim I see are upholding to the rules pretty well.
The people here feel that these minyonim also need to stop.

BTW, I do not attend those minyanim.

My father went to the mikva every day since he became frum, minyan 3 times daily. He hasent gone in 2.5 weeks

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 29, 2020, 11:33:30 PM »
I hope you’re not going to grocery 3 times a day.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 29, 2020, 11:34:22 PM »
It doesn't, but I don't see the same energy spent on an outcry about the minyanim taking place. @chevron is right to pull the alarm bells, and so should everyone. No should sit on their laurels and say, "what should I do?". "Who will listen to me?" "They know already." Etc.

Everyone has a responsibility to do whatever they could to save a life.
I don't know what his motive is, but if you think disparaging rabbanim and gedolei hador will save lives, I have news for you.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #625 on: March 29, 2020, 11:34:31 PM »
#1, what can you do abt it?
#2. everybody goes out for what they seem essential. some see minyan as essential. and the minyonim I see are upholding to the rules pretty well.
The people here feel that these minyonim also need to stop.

BTW, I do not attend those minyanim.
I certainly don’t attend the minyanim. I have mixed feelings towards them but in general harshly discourage anyone who asks me about going.

Still, my brother in law who HAS been attending mentioned that at the minyan he attends the one who organized it got up in the beginning and said that anyone who attends this minyan must be mekabel to never miss a minyan again in their life- or else they don’t deserve to daven.

Couple points: I have since convinced this bil to stop attending, although he said they daven outside with minimum 10 feet between mispallelim and less than 15 per minyan always, and zero interaction with each other. Also, he hasn’t missed minyan until now in many many years, sacrificing much money, effort, and sleep at times to make it, including arranging and paying for minyanim on stopovers when he travels etc. Still, he has finally come around and has stopped, though it is heartbreaking for him.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 29, 2020, 11:35:18 PM »
Speak for yourself. We haven't.
Unreal to see people so maykil in sakanos nefashos. So much for being a smart people.
It comes from having zero education in the basics of Yiddishekeit. Everything is כמצוות אנשים מלומדה. Do they even think for a second if that is what Hashem wants? Did they even ever open a Shulchan Aruch to see where Safek Pikiach Nefesh ranks and where making a minyan ranks? Did they ever stop to think even for a second that if there is even a miniscule chance that they are causing someone's death, then it's Assur to make that minyan, כל שכן that it's much more than that and they are רשעים גמורים who will go first class to גהינם? I guess they never opened a Tanach and saw the admonitions of Yeshaye Hanuvie.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 29, 2020, 11:35:33 PM »

There is and was.. grocery store owners on the one hand are businessmen and the other hand they are providing a necessary amenity.

Some stores got very strict between social distancing between allowing only a few people in the store at once between forcing people to wear gloves and a mask

You sound like my friend "texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving"

It's not a and or option, neither should be done. I just made an order from Costco with instacart

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 29, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »
I don't know what his motive is, but if you think disparaging rabbanim and gedolei hador will save lives, I have news for you.
You didn't understand what I wrote.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 29, 2020, 11:40:15 PM »
You didn't understand what I wrote.
Which part? That everyone has a responsibility to do whatever they can to save a life?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 29, 2020, 11:42:17 PM »

Send me an email with your info.. maybe I'll tell you my motive

Or maybe I'll just tell you about my friend who's wife is on immunosuppressants and She was very lucky cuz she got the milder form of coronavirus but now she's going to be sick still for about 6 to 8 months.

If she got the more severe one...

or hearing from my friend how much her grandmother who just passed away at 99 suffered the last few days

I am holding people with authority and responsibility accountable when they should speak up..

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 29, 2020, 11:42:56 PM »
I have not gone into a store in 2 weeks

And personally was trying that method but man I got bored of eating the same stuff always.

For me it's rough because every day I used to go out to the coffee shop different ones and I would work from there and read from there and just sit in the window and watch people etc.

I started making coffee at home again.

I'm sad to pass my shul(l) daily and see it closed. I spent many years of my life working to get it built.

Sure I would love if everyone here pledged never  to talk in shull as a plea to God to once more merit to pray in the mikdash me'aat.

I would love to hear everyone who has kids to pledge that they will teach their kids "da lifnei mi ata omed" and "umikdashai tirau"

But yeah listen, a lot of ahavas yisrael going around now and it's great.

I really am super impressed at the guys in my shul in doing the 5:30am daf on zoom 🤣 When they could easily sleep in and watch it later on YouTube, no 6:30 minyan anyways .
who spells it shull besides you? i thought the title was a mistake but i guess it was on purpose

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 29, 2020, 11:44:50 PM »
Send me an email with your info.. maybe I'll tell you my motive

Or maybe I'll just tell you about my friend who's wife is on immunosuppressants and She was very lucky cuz she got the milder form of coronavirus but now she's going to be sick still for about 6 to 8 months.

If she got the more severe one...

or hearing from my friend how much her grandmother who just passed away at 99 suffered the last few days

I am holding people with authority and responsibility accountable when they should speak up..
Yet again, you missed the boat.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 29, 2020, 11:45:18 PM »
who spells it shull besides you?

My auto correct decided it's the correct way to spell shul (I'm legit serious 🤷)

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 29, 2020, 11:50:52 PM »
Yet again, you missed the boat.

What boat ?

Listen Einstein, today one who davens with a minyan supposedly is a rotzeach.. last week he was a tzadik.

Meanwhile I'm evil for daring to State the obvious.

In NY everyone says it went from 0-60.

When it was at 0 and I said shut it down they said oh no worries it's not gonna hit us...

That's the whole frikking point.. the virus spreads rapidly at 0!!!

Then boom 60!

I'm really not interested in arguing over every point you may have found offensive

As stated here 10 days ago by some members "it It's going to take many sacrifices and many people dead before people wake up"

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 29, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »
Which part? That everyone has a responsibility to do whatever they can to save a life?
That @chevron is doing whatever he could to save a life, and I see a ton of energy spent on trying to get him to elucidate his thoughts in a proper fashion, but I don't see the same energy being spent on saving a life. Pick up the phone. Call your friends who might be joining such minyanim. Speak to your local Rav. Have him publicly speak out against such minyanim. Etc. Use all resources available to you to save a life.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 29, 2020, 11:54:05 PM »
That @chevron is doing whatever he could to save a life, and I see a ton of energy spent on trying to get him to elucidate his thoughts in a proper fashion, but I don't see the same energy being spent on saving a life. Pick up the phone. Call your friends who might be joining such minyanim. Speak to your local Rav. Have him publicly speak out against such minyanim. Etc. Use all resources available to you to save a life.
He's doing just the opposite by disparaging rabbanim and gedolei hador.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 29, 2020, 11:54:45 PM »
I certainly don’t attend the minyanim. I have mixed feelings towards them but in general harshly discourage anyone who asks me about going.

Still, my brother in law who HAS been attending mentioned that at the minyan he attends the one who organized it got up in the beginning and said that anyone who attends this minyan must be mekabel to never miss a minyan again in their life- or else they don’t deserve to daven.

Couple points: I have since convinced this bil to stop attending, although he said they daven outside with minimum 10 feet between mispallelim and less than 15 per minyan always, and zero interaction with each other. Also, he hasn’t missed minyan until now in many many years, sacrificing much money, effort, and sleep at times to make it, including arranging and paying for minyanim on stopovers when he travels etc. Still, he has finally come around and has stopped, though it is heartbreaking for him.
It's not enough to daven outdoors standing 10 feet away from each other.

Aside from the sakana of the virus (which seems to be avoided in this scenario), there is another real and present danger. All you need is one delivery driver to pass by and take a picture and post it on social media, or call the police who in turn may release a press release even if they don't deem it criminal (this has happened), and suddenly you have fueled the flames of bigotry and created a real danger of a modern-day pogrom.

It's not enough to stand far enough that the virus cannot transmit. One must be far enough that no matter which angle a photographer may try to take a picture, no gathering will be apparent.

This is real danger that many don't account for.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 29, 2020, 11:56:27 PM »
He's doing just the opposite by disparaging rabbanim and gedolei hador.

You keep parroting this line..

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #639 on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »
You keep parroting this line..
It is the truth.

It would be much more effective to say that everyone should listen to what every single Rov is now saying to daven at home than to start using foul language about them. How will that get purple to actually listen?
Feelings don't care about your facts