Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368824 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shull
« Reply #640 on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:50 PM »
It's not enough to daven outdoors standing 10 feet away from each other.

Aside from the sakana of the virus (which seems to be avoided in this scenario), there is another real and present danger. All you need is one delivery driver to pass by and take a picture and post it on social media, or call the police who in turn may release a press release even if they don't deem it criminal (this has happened), and suddenly you have fueled the flames of bigotry and created a real danger of a modern-day pogrom.

This is real danger that many don't account for.
I dont think it's our job to not daven with a minyan because people dont like it, but when the rabbanim (more specifically, your rav) says dont make a minyan you have no business trying to outsmart him.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 30, 2020, 12:00:09 AM »
He's doing just the opposite by disparaging rabbanim and gedolei hador.
I think a lot of people misunderstand @chevron. I didn't see all his posts, but it seems to me that he is bothered that many Rabbanim did not speak out until it was too late. His personal Rav and others did. His frustrations are not being brought out in the most positive way, but his intentions are gold. Take the energy you're spending on mending the way he expressed his frustrations and fix the cause of them and save a life and most likely, many lives.

That's all.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #642 on: March 30, 2020, 12:01:26 AM »
I also didn't leave for quite a few days.
despite the fact, that its hard to get basics delivered in Brooklyn.
but theres no outcry for people going to grocery, just about minyanim.
Like what?
I get emails from many Brooklyn groceries offering delivery.
There's instacart, doordash, Amazon, etc.

What do you really need to go out for, that's worth risking your life for?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #643 on: March 30, 2020, 12:04:47 AM »
Like what?

I can't speak for elsewhere, but in Lakewood ordering groceries is a disaster.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 30, 2020, 12:05:10 AM »
Like what?

putting myself aside.
People in the community do not use these services. Fact.
so they are anyway in the street. fact.
so if they make a minyan, its just the 1 time in the day, they do something justifiable. (talking abt the minaynim upholding to the guidelines)

I passed a few parks Friday, full with people (goyim).
wheres the outcry?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:09:01 AM by ah giten »

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:55 AM »
I can't speak for elsewhere, but in Lakewood ordering groceries is a disaster.
It's worse in Brooklyn. I bet you that.
beside, when you need certain products for pesach that aren't available with these delivery services.
so now we can talk if to drop all חומרותfor this year, but thats another discussion.

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 30, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »
putting myself aside.
People in the community do not use these services. Fact.
so they are anyway in the street. fact.
so if they make a minyan, its just the 1 time in the day, they do something justifiable.
It's not justifiable. They are not doing a mitzva period. They are just doing it because that's what they're used to. If they thought into it, they would never do it, because it's not a mitzvah.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 30, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »
That @chevron is doing whatever he could to save a life, and I see a ton of energy spent on trying to get him to elucidate his thoughts in a proper fashion, but I don't see the same energy being spent on saving a life. Pick up the phone. Call your friends who might be joining such minyanim. Speak to your local Rav. Have him publicly speak out against such minyanim. Etc. Use all resources available to you to save a life.

I'm very assertive and have the ability and capacity to express my thoughts and feelings.

You get my raw emotions. The attacks don't bother me.. I have friends working 16-18 hours a day.

I hit a low point at 5am 8 days crying from frustration because they wouldn't close the shulls.  Watching this pandemic spread.

So yeah I'm frustrated then yeah I mean I'm sorry to disparage everyone... Maybe one day they'll apologize at my 2 weeks of not sleeping..

I'm frustrated because I care! Because these are human beings we can save!

people like you and me with family and friends with hopes and dreams, people who desperately want to live.. and maybe their biggest desire in life is to wake up every day and go to bed at night and no matter what happened to them will say "ve'ahavta es hashem elokecha.. bechol levavecha.."

I was never scared of surgery..I'm only scared of one thing, that I could not repent before I died and not be able to say shema like I really mean it.

It's devastating to see people in the hospital go in and just get sedated and gone.

אהרן אליהו בן לאה should have a refuah shleima.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #648 on: March 30, 2020, 12:09:08 AM »
Like what?

To actually get an instacart delivery in Brooklyn these days is nigh impossible. It doesn't include kosher foods and will take a week.
Loads of delays on Amazon for many essentials that they don't deem essential.

In Crown Heights, they limit how many people are allowed in the store, every single shopper and store employee must wear a mask and gloves. It's not risking your life to go shopping.

There are a bunch of whatsapp groups, a hotline and email addresses for seniors and people in isolation who cannot shop to have volunteers do shopping for them. So those at higher risk don't have to go shopping at all.

Keep in mind that many in Brooklyn are in isolation in tiny apartments with a bunch of kids. Going shopping may save someone's life

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #649 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:31 AM »
I guess I'm spoiled with Instacart having plenty of kosher here.
Pro tip: Make orders every couple days and edit the order as needed closer in.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #650 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:51 AM »
It's not enough to daven outdoors standing 10 feet away from each other.

Aside from the sakana of the virus (which seems to be avoided in this scenario), there is another real and present danger. All you need is one delivery driver to pass by and take a picture and post it on social media, or call the police who in turn may release a press release even if they don't deem it criminal (this has happened), and suddenly you have fueled the flames of bigotry and created a real danger of a modern-day pogrom.

It's not enough to stand far enough that the virus cannot transmit. One must be far enough that no matter which angle a photographer may try to take a picture, no gathering will be apparent.

This is real danger that many don't account for.
100% agree, this is what finally got him to capitulate. Was just posting some softeners before @chevron and @yelped jumped on me for not calling the police on him  :P

Btw- I fully agree with them on this in theory
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 30, 2020, 12:18:17 AM »
It's worse in Brooklyn. I bet you that.
beside, when you need certain products for pesach that aren't available with these delivery services.
so now we can talk if to drop all חומרותfor this year, but thats another discussion.

I forced my parents to quarintine indefinitely.

Well I didn't force them but I basically told them that either I will provide for them  indefinitely but they have to stay indoors or b I'm going to come over and tell my bubby how much I love here and apologize she won't make it to my wedding c'v

That's her biggest dream at 95 and now I'm only 34 hitting 35 lol

At the beginning my family got upset at me stop scaring everybody etc etc

But they listened bh

My mother texted me that they are out of yogurts and milk and can I go to the store and get and when I told her that it was not on the agenda she said oh well then I will go to the store in the morning and they have senior hours..

I'm like, look its not 2019... You don't go to the store anymore because you run out of milk or yogurts nobody ever died because they didn't have milk and yogurts..

You need to take stock and you need to have supply for 10 to 14 days obviously that doesn't mean hoarding so everybody else can't get.

But it means being practical

I think that unfortunately so many people I don't want to take it on people from like New York and New Jersey but so many people are used to everything and the whole life evolves around routine

For like 2 weeks I've been craving half sour pickles. That's my thing in life I usually get them at whole foods but I can't get delivery from whole foods and I'm not willing to go into the store so I found another vendor that I buy from and uh yeah I bought 2 containers and paid $10 shipping.. oh well.. I don't need them

It's unfortunate that businesses in the heimish community don't deliver.. community pressure can fix that, good 'ol capitalism

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #652 on: March 30, 2020, 12:19:18 AM »
I guess I'm spoiled with Instacart having plenty of kosher here.
Pro tip: Make orders every couple days and edit the order as needed closer in.
We've done that. But we also used Instacart before Corona and are familiar with it. You can't expect the entire Brooklyn to figure out Instacart in a week, besides the fact that Instacart wouldn't be able to handle it anyway.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #653 on: March 30, 2020, 12:23:33 AM »
Rav Mechel Zilber Shlit”a from yerushalayim said that if someone who has the virus leaves his house he’s a ROTZEACH BMEIZID!!!

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #654 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:21 AM »
Rav Mechel Zilber Shlit”a from yerushalayim said that if someone who has the virus leaves his house he’s a ROTZEACH BMEIZID!!!
Please post the source I want to share with someone

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 30, 2020, 12:27:07 AM »
We've done that. But we also used Instacart before Corona and are familiar with it. You can't expect the entire Brooklyn to figure out Instacart in a week, besides the fact that Instacart wouldn't be able to handle it anyway.

I never used instacart or Uber eats before. Well Uber eats once.

My mother figured out how to order from Publix (Florida's premier grocery)on instacart.

2 married siblings live here besides me, all 3 of us in apartments, different building's different blocks

If I order delivery for something I include whatever my siblings want and send it all to my parents house and then they leave anything on the porch etc for whoever needs to pick something up

At the beginning of the pandemic I texted my good friends at Krudo And I ordered to go an enormous amount of fish

We basically all share etc.. like last night I was craving pizza so I ordered a pie kept two slices and dropped the rest at my brother's apartment building.

I have been observing social distance of the 6 to 10 ft for the last 2 weeks...

It's the small stuff.. Shabbat I was reading on my couch, My porch door was open And then I thought I heard my name being called.

I went on my porch and saw my brother and his wife and the little ones outside.. and we chatted from 30 feet away for a couple minutes and that really made my day.

I think we can do this, we need to be determined.

Anybody who does not respect your space does not respect you.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #656 on: March 30, 2020, 12:29:31 AM »
Please post the source I want to share with someone
I have the video on my phone that I took from his shiur on kol Halashon. Plz pm me your WhatsApp or email

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 30, 2020, 12:30:53 AM »
With the little ones I'm not so serious but I'm firm, as are their parents.

Yes I miss hugging my neices and nephews etc

I have friends whose brothers are Lakewood yeshivish.. all married with kids and insist on going to their parents for pesach..

Neither the two siblings or the parents see anything wrong with it

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #658 on: March 30, 2020, 12:39:15 AM »
I have the video on my phone that I took from his shiur on kol Halashon. Plz pm me your WhatsApp or email
Thanks!

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 30, 2020, 07:46:15 AM »
I dont think it's our job to not daven with a minyan because people dont like it, but when the rabbanim (more specifically, your rav) says dont make a minyan you have no business trying to outsmart him.
I didn’t mention that point because, as I posted upthread, I know of a minyan backed by a rov. That minyan is basically 10-12 people, each one davening on their own property, but all the properties are open to one square so everyone can hear the shouting Baal tefilla. Minimum 20-25 foot separations and absolutely no leining.