Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368549 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Corona virus and your shull
« Reply #660 on: March 30, 2020, 08:36:46 AM »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »

I have friends whose brothers are Lakewood yeshivish.. all married with kids and insist on going to their parents for pesach..

Neither the two siblings or the parents see anything wrong with it
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2020/03/audio-dr-shanik-stay-home-for-pesach.html

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »
Pro tip: Make orders every couple days and edit the order as needed closer in.

Love it! The best posts are often in the topic where they don’t get noticed.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 30, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »
The study found that viral droplets expelled both in coughs and sneezes travels at speeds that range between 22 miles per hour to 68 miles an hours.  This translates to 33 feet per second and 100 feet per second.  The speed rate depends upon the strength of the original expulsion and how warm and moist the atmosphere is.  The study can be viewed at https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852.  The corresponding author of the study is Lydia Bourouiba, PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Essentially, an invisible cloud is created within the atmosphere (both an inside atmosphere and an outside atmosphere) that can hit neighboring people up to 27, yes, 27 feet away.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/278006
Yawn..

This circulated last week. Still hasnt done a darn thing to stop minyanim. In EY there are minyanim as of right. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline israshot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »
I saw today so many ppl walking in Williamsburg with their Talis/Tefilin' bag... I saw more than a 100!

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:12:38 PM by Luvisrael »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #668 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:33 PM »
I saw today so many ppl walking in Williamsburg with their Talis/Tefilin' bag... I saw more than a 100!
How are people so ignorant?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 30, 2020, 12:18:28 PM »
these video trucks that’s ere going around these neighborhoods should show the videos of bodies at the Chevra kadisha ..

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »
As someone here once said...you need to get out more. This is what happens when religious education trumps all. You get practical ignorance to a level unheard of before. Every person that took part in a minyan during this time should be barred from shuls that were closed during this time...forever.

This is also the sad outcome of hagiographic biographies of the personages of the previous generations where stories are told of mesirus nefesh for [fill in the blank] when in fact those stories never happened or are embellished beyond any truth. The mesirus nefesh in the concentration camps was by individuals not hundreds or thousands.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #671 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:36 PM »
As someone here once said...you need to get out more. This is what happens when religious education trumps all. You get practical ignorance to a level unheard of before. Every person that took part in a minyan during this time should be barred from shuls that were closed during this time...forever.

This is also the sad outcome of hagiographic biographies of the personages of the previous generations where stories are told of mesirus nefesh for [fill in the blank] when in fact those stories never happened or are embellished beyond any truth. The mesirus nefesh in the concentration camps was by individuals not hundreds or thousands.

Suddenly all of these chassidim are ignoring their Rebbes?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 30, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
Suddenly all of these chassidim are ignoring their Rebbes?
Thats the astonishing part. My next door neighbor is a DAYAN in Bobov45 forget about a chusid...a DAYAN!!! and he has been inside his house with hi sentire family for the better part of 2 weeks. They (Bobov45) were the first chasidim to get hit hard. His 2 brothers were hospitalized. I came out the back of my house and hes on his back porch davening with a minyan in the backyards behind our houses. Yes they were separated by gates etc. He is less than 6 feet from my porch though. Astonishing!!1

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 30, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »
Hey, hey. This isn't a private venting forum. I don't know where your grandparents are from or why you are so mad, but I still have Holocaust surviving grandparents and hear 1st hand accounts from them which completely contradict what you wrote above. Their situation and mesiras nefesh can in no way compare to today's "minyan mesiras nefesh"...

Online ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 30, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »
Thats the astonishing part. My next door neighbor is a DAYAN in Bobov45 forget about a chusid...a DAYAN!!! and he has been inside his house with hi sentire family for the better part of 2 weeks. They (Bobov45) were the first chasidim to get hit hard. His 2 brothers were hospitalized. I came out the back of my house and hes on his back porch davening with a minyan in the backyards behind our houses. Yes they were separated by gates etc. He is less than 6 feet from my porch though. Astonishing!!1
it's bad enough that ur bashing a Dayan, no need for details.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
The study found that viral droplets expelled both in coughs and sneezes travels at speeds that range between 22 miles per hour to 68 miles an hours.  This translates to 33 feet per second and 100 feet per second.  The speed rate depends upon the strength of the original expulsion and how warm and moist the atmosphere is.  The study can be viewed at https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852.  The corresponding author of the study is Lydia Bourouiba, PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Essentially, an invisible cloud is created within the atmosphere (both an inside atmosphere and an outside atmosphere) that can hit neighboring people up to 27, yes, 27 feet away.
Worth watching the whole thing, but the part about aeresolization starts around the 7 min mark:

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 30, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
Hey, hey. This isn't a private venting forum. I don't know where your grandparents are from or why you are so mad, but I still have Holocaust surviving grandparents and hear 1st hand accounts from them which completely contradict what you wrote above. Their situation and mesiras nefesh can in no way compare to today's "minyan mesiras nefesh"...

There was a guy from Chicago lypshitz, brilliant easy going warm yid, he used to come to Miami on vacation in the winter. This was probably about 23, 24 years ago.

I don't know where he grew up but I know that he was in the warsaw ghetto.

He said one winter Chanukah, his brother and he snuck out of the ghetto to go to the mikva.

I'll believe that, but these are different times, no one is taking away your tefillen.

we have not had a pandemic like this in 100 years and so it's entirely impossible for us to comprehend this but I can let you know certainly that God forbid in the future they are going to look back at us and history may not be so kind.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »
Worth watching the whole thing, but the part about aeresolization starts around the 7 min mark:

I don't know what if he's proven wrong?

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »
Saw same thing in ch yesterday, as if nothing is going around them.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 30, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »

The stories of the guys running under the Russian soldiers who were beating him and one of their yarmulkas fell off and he went to retrieve it.

In certain generations that was critical that they would not waiver and that they stand farm in today's generation I think it's just stupidity