Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368555 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #880 on: April 13, 2020, 12:49:20 AM »
Love it. I bet most of these types during regular times will miss minyan for non-essential needs (e.g. travel for pleasure)
Could you stop with the missing minyan thing? We all know you wouldn't go anywhere where there isn't minyan three times a day and you wouldn't take any flight that makes you miss a Minyan.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 13, 2020, 12:51:44 AM »
Couldn't be more wrong. I was educated by @yuneeq and in turn many people I spoke to influenced others. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that lives were saved from this forum
No doubt about it. I think we all had a period of time when we knew things were getting serious but hadn't yet internalized it enough to change our actions. Yuneeq and Chevron definitely helped speed up the process for me. I was one of the most vocal advocates to shut down our shul and stopped sending my kids to school five days before they closed.

(p.s. my family has not had the virus so far as I know)
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #882 on: April 13, 2020, 12:59:40 AM »
Could you stop with the missing minyan thing? We all know you wouldn't go anywhere where there isn't minyan three times a day and you wouldn't take any flight that makes you miss a Minyan.
There might still be someone that hasn't seen his last 3 posts about it  ::)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #883 on: April 13, 2020, 01:06:59 AM »
Couldn't be more wrong. I was educated by @yuneeq and in turn many people I spoke to influenced others. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that lives were saved from this forum
Because of @yuneeq I personally influenced the owner of a very large school in Lakewood to shut down 2 full days before the whole of Lakewood followed suit despite very heavy pushback from his staff. There are currently two teachers from the school battling corona, one on a ventilator and one at home, but each of those is a Rav and probably contracted it in that position.

Other than that, the school has largely been spared what most schools in Lakewood are going through as far as staff with corona. I’m not saying it’s everything but the difference between being closed Monday or Wednesday after Purim probably played the role in much more than a handful of deaths in Lakewood thus far.

Of course, on a family level, I have kept my entire family including my semi-elderly in-laws and high-risk parent on their toes a lot earlier and a lot more serious than they would have been if they would have stuck around waiting for Lakewood to wake up.

It’s not an exaggeration at all. This forum DID save lives. BH! Thanks @yuneeq for keeping us on our toes!
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #884 on: April 13, 2020, 01:09:16 AM »
There might still be someone that hasn't seen his last 3 posts about it  ::)
It just looks like he has some type of auto-respond feature on this forum that the rest of us don’t have access to  >:(

(e.g. non essential travel)

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 13, 2020, 01:10:45 AM »
My Rav gives 👍 to your comments.

I don't want to know what he went through in deciding to close the shul.

I can tell you that wasn't something I brought up. But from already mid to late February the virus was discussed between myself and the Rabbi and others.

I think we took basically a very aggressive approach early on. From hand sanitizer pumps installation March 3.

We had protocols to wipe down surfaces already then. We installed high level ac filters that would help the air filtering of anything

But at Shabbat after Purim with BH no confirmed cases even, after Shabbat, the Rabbi decided the risk was too big

At some point you need to say, look we are trying to do xx and yy and zz but we need to be practical, If we need to do x and y and z just to avoid this mageifa, we are asking for trouble.

That's when the shul was closed.

I contribute even more know. We don't have minyanim but we operate as a community.

I was there when the community started 27 years ago.  If you think I just wash my hands on the whole affair, no way.

I'm not Yona, I'm not going to cry better I should be dead than alive.

Of course this hurts me, I spent 10 years of my life to see this shul be built.

I pass it now as I did before it was finished and pray that we should merit praying In it soon.

Online Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 13, 2020, 01:17:42 AM »

+1. I personally made changes to the way I was doing things as a result of @yuneeq's posts here.

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 13, 2020, 01:19:59 AM »
My Rav gives 👍 to your comments.

I don't want to know what he went through in deciding to close the shul.

I can tell you that wasn't something I brought up. But from already mid to late February the virus was discussed between myself and the Rabbi and others.

I think we took basically a very aggressive approach early on. From hand sanitizer pumps installation March 3.

We had protocols to wipe down surfaces already then. We installed high level ac filters that would help the air filtering of anything

But at Shabbat after Purim with BH no confirmed cases even, after Shabbat, the Rabbi decided the risk was too big

At some point you need to say, look we are trying to do xx and yy and zz but we need to be practical, If we need to do x and y and z just to avoid this mageifa, we are asking for trouble.

That's when the shul was closed.

I contribute even more know. We don't have minyanim but we operate as a community.

I was there when the community started 27 years ago.  If you think I just wash my hands on the whole affair, no way.

I'm not Yona, I'm not going to cry better I should be dead than alive.

Of course this hurts me, I spent 10 years of my life to see this shul be built.

I pass it now as I did before it was finished and pray that we should merit praying In it soon.

What's going on, is a test of each communities strength.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #888 on: April 13, 2020, 01:22:04 AM »
This thread shows the advantage of a forum over a WhatsApp group.

Diverse thought, even when you need to filter out the absurd, is worth hearing. Especially when organized into threads.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #889 on: April 13, 2020, 01:24:37 AM »

Diverse thought, after digging and finding the normal, is worth hearing. Especially when organized into threads.
FTFY

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 13, 2020, 01:27:55 AM »
Because of @yuneeq I personally influenced the owner of a very large school in Lakewood to shut down 2 full days before the whole of Lakewood followed suit despite very heavy pushback from his staff. There are currently two teachers from the school battling corona, one on a ventilator and one at home, but each of those is a Rav and probably contracted it in that position.

Other than that, the school has largely been spared what most schools in Lakewood are going through as far as staff with corona. I’m not saying it’s everything but the difference between being closed Monday or Wednesday after Purim probably played the role in much more than a handful of deaths in Lakewood thus far.

Of course, on a family level, I have kept my entire family including my semi-elderly in-laws and high-risk parent on their toes a lot earlier and a lot more serious than they would have been if they would have stuck around waiting for Lakewood to wake up.

It’s not an exaggeration at all. This forum DID save lives. BH! Thanks @yuneeq for keeping us on our toes!

Agreed... My mother is keh 60 . She was at first beffudled and offended

I was like mom, look, you're 60, my father is 62. (back in the beginning they were saying 65)

But my grandmother lives with them and 90+. I went from rational pleading to morbididity.

I basically said once, fine.. either allow me to order everything online or tell me when bubby levaya is.

I'm not proud. I have to respect my parents... But I couldn't allow that to happen.

It's funny too, like the instacart order I made from Costco, my mother says "can You add two cases of water" So I checked and I was able to add them and then the next day we get two orders delivered basically the exact same order except one had water and one did not from two different drivers ;)

My mom was like oh well we have lots of apples and bananas.

I know I need to ask my parents for mechila and I will. But I don't regret what I did.

I keep saying, it's a once in a hundred years pandemic. All you need to do is be safe for a couple of months if even most likely just a couple weeks...

Hashem said to Adam, wait a couple of hours .. you know what happened in the end?!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 13, 2020, 01:34:44 AM »

Diverse thought, even when you need to filter out the absurd, is worth hearing. Especially when organized into threads.

But I'm the first to acknowledge that I run my mouth endlessly ;)

My close friend Rabbi Dany Cohen in Chevron says to me "be a Baruch omer v'oseh," and I said once " I think some people feel they are boruch gozer umekayem"

I never had any answers. I can tell you that I worry..

I'm worried now that people are going to feel that everything is over..a false sense of security.

I grew up to Holocaust survivors and books. The ones that survived were the ones constantly worried and willing to fight for freedom.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 13, 2020, 01:54:13 AM »

Why not both? ;D
Like many things 2 months ago, I was embarrassed to open a coronavirus chat, but there were definitely advantages in the back and forth conversations, and even when it included voice notes :o
Visibly Jewish

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 13, 2020, 02:00:16 AM »
Why not both? ;D
Like many things 2 months ago, I was embarrassed to open a coronavirus chat, but there were definitely advantages in the back and forth conversations, and even when it included voice notes :o

I'll the first to admit that the js thread about the virus mildly interested me till mid February.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 13, 2020, 02:06:37 AM »
Many of you that have said my posts here have made an impact, I want to say thank you for expressing this, there’s a lot satisfaction, my obsession with the impending coronavirus completely  took over my life for a while so I’m glad it’s actually making a difference. But even more so, if I realized beforehand how much 1 person can make an impact, I would have done so much more...I’m not a doomsday type of guy like @chevron and I feel we have an extremely different background but I’m glad we did whatever we did.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 13, 2020, 02:08:11 AM »
Question for y’all. Was there a specific post or 2 of mine that made a difference or was it the collection of posts that made an impact? For me I recall specific articles, videos, images, and stats that made me understand what was about to come. Still the greatest visualization was the video showing how COVID stacks up against other viruses - from early February I think.
Visibly Jewish

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 13, 2020, 02:17:25 AM »
Many of you that have said my posts here have made an impact, I want to say thank you for expressing this, there’s a lot satisfaction, my obsession with the impending coronavirus completely  took over my life for a while so I’m glad it’s actually making a difference. But even more so, if I realized beforehand how much 1 person can make an impact, I would have done so much more...I’m not a doomsday type of guy like @chevron and I feel we have an extremely different background but I’m glad we did whatever we did.

Maybe because we are not similar or that our differing messages being at the same thing is what affects others

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #897 on: April 13, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »
If those who acted early saved lives is the opposite also true (not talking about our government before anyone goes there)?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 13, 2020, 09:01:45 AM »
If those who acted early saved lives is the opposite also true (not talking about our government before anyone goes there)?

If by the opposite you mean - those who acted later than most others, yes. Hard to blame the people in between despite what they ultimately caused.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #899 on: April 13, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
For me, I cannot point to a single post that did it for me. I saw consistent messaging that was backed up with sources, which led me to do my own research. A huge benefit of this forum was the ability to get information through other members from a wide variety of sources I would not have necessarily checked or had access to. Hearing how others were handling it, the tips and tricks, the research, the planning, the stocking up of certain supplies, all of these helped immensely in creating my family's own plan of action.

Regarding @CountValentine's question, the answer is yes, to a certain degree. "With great power comes great responsibility." Those who wield influence and power need to be cognizant of the ramifications of their words and actions. That means taking the time to properly research a topic before speaking authoritatively on it. By the same token, people need to take individual responsibility in vetting who they respect and who they get their information from. They need to verify information they hear and not just accept things blindly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 10:14:56 AM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.