Author Topic: Corona virus and your shul  (Read 368604 times)

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Corona virus and your shul
« Reply #1180 on: April 23, 2020, 07:47:45 AM »
Can we stop blaming others? A supermarket or restaurant has no social responsibility. They are businesses. Their owners and managers daven in the same illegal minyanim as their customers. If you're taking your cues from a supermarket instead of doctors, rabbonim, or your own basic research, the resulting cause of death should be stupidity.
I do not agree to going to a minyan. Just saying some minyanim control the amount of people that come and enforce distancing. Supermarket that I went to they limited going in after that you are on your own.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1181 on: April 23, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »
So here we are a month or so later and almost 50k have perished. We still have those that don't get it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 23, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »
I do not agree to going to a minyan. Just saying some minyanim control the amount of people that come and enforce distancing. Supermarket that I went to they limited going in after that you are on your own.
There's not much they can do besides limiting capacity and having markings by the checkout, as while you are shopping, you can't really remain in place the whole time like you can with a minyan. It's up to people to try to adhere while they are shopping.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 23, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
For people asking but food and shelter, are you aware that the government is giving $600 per week to almost anyone who lost their job? Or that they've made loans available? So for a couple, both of whom had lost jobs, that's $4,800 per month. On top of that, there's $2400+ of stimulus money coming.

If you can survive in that for a few months, maybe the problem is deeper than covid.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1184 on: April 23, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »
It was definitely strange and almost comical when Rabbanim and govt cracked down on various gatherings but left supermarkets largely unregulated

Talk about silly statements... Rabbanim regulating supermarkets? And government regulated them as much as anything else. It's an essential business, allowed to be open, please practice social distancing, yada yada.

In short, the strict regulations that we see now at supermarkets, should have been in place on day one. I can't fathom a legitimate reason why it wasn't implemented immediately.

Any precautions you see now are implemented by the individual stores in order to protect their employees and customers, as a business decision. Occasionally, local government will set their own regs.

So if were assigning blame like I've seen on so many posts

Literally started the post with the words, "Can we stop blaming other."
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1185 on: April 23, 2020, 08:08:57 AM »
Sorry, I don't know why I jumped in again. Breathe in, breathe out. But please don't do anything until the doctor tells you exactly what to do.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1186 on: April 23, 2020, 08:14:19 AM »
I think many of those that get are frustrated with the lack of action authorities have taken in many municipalities. Why aren't face masks MANDATORY in every municipality? Brookline MA is enforcing but not Boston. That's ridiculous.
They were quick to close shuls which are our lifeline but some still refuse to enforce ANY regulation at supermarkets since they're "essential".
Shuls are also essential and yet we've closed them. Yes, I know you don't believe they're essential. My rabbis who believe that shuls are essential, closed them anyway back in mid March since saving lives takes precedence over ALL other life essentials.
Somehow saving lives doesn't seem to take precedence over  in store grocery shopping according to many community leaders and municipalities.
Take a cue from Telz Stone which basically shut down the town (granted it's a small town of only 6000) including grocery shopping to get the virus under control. They brought back essentials in a severely restricted capacity
There are mistakes made everywhere in this crisis. When you say x should not be shutdown because y isn't social distancing to me shows someone still doesn't get it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 23, 2020, 08:16:52 AM »
There's not much they can do besides limiting capacity and having markings by the checkout, as while you are shopping, you can't really remain in place the whole time like you can with a minyan. It's up to people to try to adhere while they are shopping.
I went to Shoprite and to me it seems alot safer than some of the local supermarkets. The cashier is behind a plexiglass and you are able to distance yourself from other shopper as they limit the shoppers.

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 23, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »
Sorry, I don't know why I jumped in again. Breathe in, breathe out. But please don't do anything until the doctor tells you exactly what to do.
If you read you will see so much conflicting info. like people getting it again, new strains and other info. The situation in my opinion is still serious as people are still being admitted to Hospitals with Corona.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 23, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »
There are mistakes made everywhere in this crisis. When you say x should not be shutdown because y isn't social distancing to me shows someone still doesn't get it.
Not what I wrote.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 23, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »
Exactly. His point was that there are such people who don't get it who aren't taking it seriously because of the seeming contradiction. This has been discussed before, but it seems that the bulk of these people are  those without outside sources of news etc. All they see are government officials closing shuls but not stores (and they probably already are suspicious of government being trigger happy when it comes to such things, whether such suspicions are warrented or not), and they assume that it's really a big deal. This is all on addition to them suspecting (for various reasons) that it's all a liberal plot against Trump. I don't think this is enough to blame regulators who perhaps should have done more, but I can see how one thing could lead to another.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 23, 2020, 09:56:48 AM »
To be honest we don't really know the true death rate with this virus bc many more people have had the virus that didn't get tested

After they adjust for that it will come out to about the same as the flu

Research also shows that smelling farts is good for your health

If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 23, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »

Just Google it, was all over the news a few years ago

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 23, 2020, 10:57:22 AM »

Just Google it, was all over the news a few years ago

The flu ?! We have vaccines for the flu .
It's a fraction as deadly
There's no hospitals overwhelmed
Medical workers don't drop dead from the flu

You show a typical stupidity and lack of cognitive powers.

As of today , 47,992 died in USA from covid19, while the flu killed 23,000

The ONLY reason that number is NOT 479,920 is because of serious measures.

You fail to understand the capacity of the US healthcare system.

They need to teach basic cause and effect in chareidi schools.. when I was bad, I got a good zetz, a potch in panim.

Prevention means the spread slows or stops, it means less get it, less strain on health resources and less death's.

We said this from day 1. You continue to walk with your head up your tuches speaking nonsense.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 23, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »
As far as stores go.

They limit those who can enter, mask required by all. Social distance is critical. There are markers on floor by checkout in whole foods 6 feet apart, checkout Lane wiped clean after each customer.

I went to the store once in 6 weeks and j went in and out.
And I still shouldn't have.  I disinfected my hands first, put on gloves, disinfected the cart, wore mask. Removed gloves when I left, disinfected hands, removed mask.

The very mature of minyanim is that they fill a social gap. People socialize before, during and after davening.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 23, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
As far as stores go.

They limit those who can enter, mask required by all. Social distance is critical. There are markers on floor by checkout in whole foods 6 feet apart, checkout Lane wiped clean after each customer.

I went to the store once in 6 weeks and j went in and out.
And I still shouldn't have.  I disinfected my hands first, put on gloves, disinfected the cart, wore mask. Removed gloves when I left, disinfected hands, removed mask.

The very mature of minyanim is that they fill a social gap. People socialize before, during and after davening.
Stores can fill that social gap as well. And that can be avoided with minyan.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 23, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Stores can fill that social gap as well. And that can be avoided with minyan.

That was exactly why I told my mother from day 1 she can't go to stores.. because what if someone says hi.. my mother is really sweet and polite etc.

However IMHO it's not a binary option. Do neither store nor minyan.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 23, 2020, 11:49:22 AM »
As far as stores go.

They limit those who can enter, mask required by all. Social distance is critical.
This is not actual law in many places such as Boston, and even where it the law such as Brookline, it is not enforced at all in supermarkets such as Stop & Shop which puts essential personnel such as store associates , cashiers, and our team of mashgichim at risk. I wish gov't and local doctors would enforce the law and common sense policies half as much as they go after shuls. B"H our local kosher stores are strictly enforcing and have a team member at the entrance regulating the flow and baring entrance to anyone not wearing a mask.

Online etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1198 on: April 23, 2020, 12:00:38 PM »
For people asking but food and shelter, are you aware that the government is giving $600 per week to almost anyone who lost their job? Or that they've made loans available? So for a couple, both of whom had lost jobs, that's $4,800 per month. On top of that, there's $2400+ of stimulus money coming.

If you can survive in that for a few months, maybe the problem is deeper than covid.
Is there anything for people who work working off the books? AFAF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 23, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
This is not actual law in many places such as Boston, and even where it the law such as Brookline, it is not enforced at all in supermarkets such as Stop & Shop which puts essential personnel such as store associates , cashiers, and our team of mashgichim at risk. I wish gov't and local doctors would enforce the law and common sense policies half as much as they go after shuls. B"H our local kosher stores are strictly enforcing and have a team member at the entrance regulating the flow and baring entrance to anyone not wearing a mask.

I agree with you. Any store that has any hashgacha, should be required by the kashrut agency to require all employees and shopper's to wear masks and disinfect hands!

Kashrut agencies get involved with forcing comedy shows to cancel because they don't like the nature, get involved here.